• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

I think it'd do what you're asking. As an OLF thrower my preference is to flip up from shallow hyzer for a straight line, rather than trying to throw flat. I've thrown 171-175g Volts so far, and I'd be looking to bag a 168g (currently listed as the lightest available) for my workhorse. With my LFs, mid-to-high 160s is what I can put some ass on to make it turn a little OR throw smooth for a stable-to-overstable glidey line, and then 172-175 takes a little headwind OR an ungraceful monkey-arming to get a "little turn from shallow hyzer" flight like the main 167ish one. The Volt acted the same... I could see it turn just a little bit with headwind or a real huck.

Right now I'd wanna bag a worn 168g for QJ stuff, fresh-ish 168g for QJ/straight-OLF, and a 172+ for stable-to-overstable OLF.

Thanks ZAM.

Yep these were fun to throw. Definitely a control driver.

I enjoyed throwing it on sidearm, as I have pretty low power on flicks, so the turn and glide I got from it were just right. I'm not sure how it would handle somebody with 350' flick power though?

Throwing backhand I was able to shape some nice lines and it had a reliable fade out unless I popped it pretty hard anhyzer, in which case it pretty much held the line. I have 300-330' power on controlled backhands. I did not get any hyzer-flip action, but I saw Zach hyzer-flipping them FARRRR with a nice s-curve shot.

ZJ you are so damn lucky that one throw didn't go under the mower deck, that was almost like tragedy/comedy all at once. (He threw an anny that literally landed 1' in front of a moving riding mower out in the driving range and the guy stopped at the LAST possible second)

Anyway, these aren't gonna replace my OLF's or PD's but they are pretty cool nonetheless. The rim is so strange (the black rubber part goes like halfway into the wing). Anybody wanting a driver for an all-MVP bag should be pretty dang happy.

Last edited:
How far do you throw? And what type of disc is your slightly-beefy slightly-workable driver in fairway and distance range?

For me, the Volt flies exactly like you described the desirable flight, and I throw low-mid 300s with a heavy 1.1 QOLF as my beefy-worker fairway/distance disc. Neither the Volt or a heavy QOLF will flip for me on a clean throw into a moderate headwind.

The "normal" people who threw it yesterday at Disc Nation were getting flights you'd want from a "reliable control fairway driver". The guys who were getting turn from it (which comes very late btw) can throw Rocs 400'+ and *OLFs around 500'+ on a flat measured field. Also the wind quotient on the driving range is greater than you'd find on most courses, so they were testing with above-average wind.

I throw Nukes and Katanas 400ft on a hyzer or 420ft or so on a turnover S shot. My Z nukes need to be thrown at about 4oclock or thrown high in order to be able to come back out of their turn. I'm assuming that the Volt is going to turn on me as well.

I throw Nukes and Katanas 400ft on a hyzer or 420ft or so on a turnover S shot. My Z nukes need to be thrown at about 4oclock or thrown high in order to be able to come back out of their turn. I'm assuming that the Volt is going to turn on me as well.
From what you describe and what I've observed from people FHing Nukes on the driving range, short answer is YES you'd get a good amount of turn from the Volt.

I say that in short form because honestly, a 4-o'clock hyzer on a Nuke FH sounds OAT-suspicious, which is a legitimate way to get FH distance on speed-10+ or overstable drivers since they're naturally OAT-resistant. When I FH or BH the Volt with OAT, it wobbles into a turnover before settling into its spin and carrying toward its fade. The high-power BH guys were getting a clean turnover, average-power guys were getting a brief turnover with OAT, and everyone thought the FH was surprisingly good but we didn't have any true power-FH throwers on hand.

Eagle-X / Eagle-L was the dominant comparison for FH lines... it's in a class far removed from Speed 13 stuff.

From what you describe and what I've observed from people FHing Nukes on the driving range, short answer is YES you'd get a good amount of turn from the Volt.

I say that in short form because honestly, a 4-o'clock hyzer on a Nuke FH sounds OAT-suspicious, which is a legitimate way to get FH distance on speed-10+ or overstable drivers since they're naturally OAT-resistant. When I FH or BH the Volt with OAT, it wobbles into a turnover before settling into its spin and carrying toward its fade. The high-power BH guys were getting a clean turnover, average-power guys were getting a brief turnover with OAT, and everyone thought the FH was surprisingly good but we didn't have any true power-FH throwers on hand.

Eagle-X / Eagle-L was the dominant comparison for FH lines... it's in a class far removed from Speed 13 stuff.

It's not OAT it's just more spin than a backhander would have at the same distance, it's hard to compare my forehand to other people's forehands becuase the majority of forehanders use too much arm and not enough wrist snap. If it were OAT I wouldn't be able to flick an axis 350' on a flat release without any floppiness discernable by the human eye.

Last edited:
How does a worn Champ Eagle-X fly for you? That's gonna be your best indicator.

I have a 9/10 champ eagle and it goes wayyy farther than I wanted it to. If I release it flat it will fly flat for 350ft without gaining any height and then the lss finally kicks in pretty hard at the very end. I tend to use my firebird for controlled FWD shots more than my eagle because the firebird starts to fade much sooner. If the Volt has a little bit more turn than the eagle I guess it could still be useful for certain shots but I prefer to throw hyzers for accuracy whenever I can. I hope their next disc is a more HSS FWD. A perfect fairway driver for me would be one that has enough HSS not to turnover on full power throws with a fade of like 2.

Last edited:
So, after watching mike's video. Is the volt closer to a long qj or a beaten in 1.1 qolf? I didn't really see an eagles worth of fade.

So after a couple rounds, what do you think? Most of the testers have had QJs bagged at one time or another. How is it compared to a QJ? Does it have more forward fade where the QJ doesn't fade?

So after a couple rounds, what do you think? Most of the testers have had QJs bagged at one time or another. How is it compared to a QJ? Does it have more forward fade where the QJ doesn't fade?

The Volt has a similar stability to a QJ...The QJ is pretty much exactly between the TB and EX in terms of stability. It has more turn than a TB, but it's turn is slower and the fade less abrupt than an EX. This stability is similar to the Volt. With regards to distance, only CE QJLS would be comparable to the Volt. The Volt is faster and glides quite a bit more than a standard production QJLS, which affects how it works it's lines. I'm not sure I'm going to be taking my QJ out of the bag because it has less glide and kind of flies like a longer/faster mid compared to the Volt, but only time will tell.

Looks like I will have a chance to throw couple testers around tomorrow. I got to feel them up today a little bit shallower feel is definitely there, but it feels like a nice speed control driver like everybody has stated, can't wait to get out and give Them a toss.

First Off big THANK YOU to MVP and Discnation for making these Volts available. I think I was able to test around 9 of them and they all flew and felt pretty much the exact same, any difference was very minimal. I also now have two Volts in my bag. I hope to beat the heck out of one to see how itll break in.

Just wanted to drop in and say the Volt is made of rainbows and lucky charms. I know I dont have the name recognition here on the boards as Discspeed, Mike C or ZJ but I can assure you I know a little bit about throwing a golf disc. Anywho here are some thoughts.

I went to discnation yesterday to give some Volts some air time to see what I'd think about it. Honestly while i was excited to throw the Volt I had limited expectations mainly because I've been so disappointed lately with the latest releases of golf discs. Well, the Volt blew me away literally from my first throw. This is truly a unique mold as I cant really nail down a comparable disc unless I make some form of hybrid combo. I worked the Volt all over the DN range with all types of shots both BH and FH and it outshined every expectation by a large margin.

I've never thrown a disc that could be ranged so well at such significantly different distances. I was getting the volts out to around 470ish max but i could throw some 450 shots on a freaking rope but what really blew me away was how well the Volt also performed on the 280-300ft range. As long as im not throwing into a big headwind i can throw the Volt on pretty much every shot i could think of at many different distances. I dont think i can say that about any other disc. The glide is also top notch assuming you give enough spin. Also the outer mold really allows this disc to just hit and skip. The outer mold really seems to minimalize the skip at the end of the flight.

The Volt is Not flippy it in my opinion could easy be a workhorse driver. No I cant say the Volt can handle a big headwind but it can definitely handle some headwinds(depends mostly on the thrower in this situation). I throw an array of PDs and I thing the Volt will pair with it perfectly. Honestly I see the Volt replacing the Krait and FDs that I was carrying. The Volt also really handles FH shots really well but I have to admit that is my weakest point of my game but I was getting some nice rips. The Volts handles FH much better than the MVP mids do.

As much as I wanted to say the Big Three were just hyping the disc and wanted to have some different findings I just cant say anything negative about the Volt.This disc truly lives up to the hype. I also really Really like the Neutron Plastic (made me put back the Vector).

BRAVO MVP!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm too lazy to search right now, but from what I remember reading all the cores of the same mold weigh the same(or at least close to the same.) They only change the amount of weighting agent in the overmold.

Can anyone verify this? That would be pretty impressive if all the cores were coming out at the exact same weight.

Damnit, I wish I lived in Austin and had access to Discnation's driving range!

You guys are so lucky.

It's not OAT it's just more spin than a backhander would have at the same distance.
Well I like to be a positive guy but if this is true you've twisted the laws of physics, and I somehow doubt that! ;)

More spin will always stabilize the disc, that is make it turn slower/less - it's physically impossible to make a disc turn more by just adding more spin.

When it comes to spin vs speed ratio, I'll defer to Ville Piippo - 1020 rated, forehand exclusive player (and former finnish olympic team javelin thrower). He states that it's impossible to achieve as much spin forehand as you can with a backhand throw, while launch velocity can be higher forehand than backhand. This explains why distance records are all set backhand, while numerous experiments with high-speed cameras show the highest launch velocities are achieved with forehand throws.

Back to the Volt! It looks more interesting than expected, I'll def order a few come 25th. MVP, please make a sh*load in 168-170g weights!!

Last edited:
Back to the Volt! It looks more interesting than expected, I'll def order a few come 25th. MVP, please make a sh*load in 168-170g weights!!

Seriously. It seems like almost everyone who has said they were going to buy at least one want at least one light one. I preordered two and hope to get as low into the 160s as I can and a max weight.

But Justin at communitydiscs.com said they are expecting most to be 172+

Can anyone verify this? That would be pretty impressive if all the cores were coming out at the exact same weight.

Actually, that's the way it should be if you are running a stable, controlled molding process combined with a uniform resin.

Seriously. It seems like almost everyone who has said they were going to buy at least one want at least one light one. I preordered two and hope to get as low into the 160s as I can and a max weight.

But Justin at communitydiscs.com said they are expecting most to be 172+

I have it on good word that "168g discs won't be a problem."

I'm not using quotation marks carelessly there either.

Latest posts