• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

Gotcha. I have only thrown a 173/4 and have 169's on the way. Doubt there will be any diff then.

I love living less than 6 hours away. I ordered my Volts about 2 yesterday, and will get them around 2 tomorrow. I'm immediately going to throw one of them into a brick wall a few times to change it's flight a little, then throw them both and give you guys some sort of feedback for a 300-350 thrower.

Man, I live an hour and 15 minutes from DN and my Volts are STILL bloody sitting in the Austin Post Office according to tracking.:wall::wall::wall::wall:

miserable weather today, thing held its line in headwind and tailwind

9MK7D.jpg

So here is my question for those who know way more about disc design than I do: What is it about the design of the Volt that makes it so versatile? Is it the Gyro stuff, or something to the wing shape? Can anyone even put a finger on it? I am just curious as to what MVP has been able to figure out that other disc manufacturers with many more years under their collective belt haven't tapped into yet. This kind of fascinates me.

So here is my question for those who know way more about disc design than I do: What is it about the design of the Volt that makes it so versatile? Is it the Gyro stuff, or something to the wing shape? Can anyone even put a finger on it? I am just curious as to what MVP has been able to figure out that other disc manufacturers with many more years under their collective belt haven't tapped into yet. This kind of fascinates me.

I think the weight distribution has a lot to do with it. I think the Volt is a great shape and I think it would probably still be a good disc without gyro, but I think the gyro is what makes it feel different from other similar shaped/sized drivers.

The MVP guys are young, smart, and incredibly focused and driven. Smarter and more ambitious than other guys with more and better resources. To be honest, I don't think DG has collectively figured out much at this point in terms of disc design, materials, and R&D. The future sure looks bright right now.

There are four things in my lay opinion:

1. Dome. It might not appear so at first but the Volt has a good bit of dome to it. There is a lot of curvature past the wing, more than most drivers, and I think this plays a role in how much glide it has.

2. Shallow rim. I think this is part of why it feels like it moves so fast for a speed nine disc, this reduces overall drag.

3. Neutral wing shape. If this was a normal disc with a similar shape I think it would have pretty neutral stability.

4. Gyro. Adds to glide and significantly influences line holding ability. One of the biggest differences in gyro vs non gyro discs is how much the former wants to hold a release angle compared to the latter. Something about gyro makes a neutral mid like the Axis hold a tiny hyzer angle the entire flight when thrown hard...say 350' of power. A similar disc like the Buzz or Core will flip to flat at the least on a 350' throw with ~5 degrees of hyzer, probably turn a bit too.

It's basically a very versatile wing shape and overall design combined with the unique line holding abilities gyro gives any disc type. I think a driver is going to make the effects of gyro even more obvious as people put in time with the Volt.

The one thing I'm clueless on is the microbead notch thing on the wing. No idea what its role is.

The one thing I'm clueless on is the microbead notch thing on the wing. No idea what its role is.
Mold seam, Discraft-style. No flashing on the part of the rim that you actually grip.

Not that I've ever discussed it with them, I just feel like it's the logical extension of this feature on the Axis/Vector, which is less apparent because the overmold meets the rim at about the same point.

Got mine today both 174 white and black. Holds lines very nice even in the unusual wind we had today. Hold crazy crazy long anhyzers it's unbelievable. And it define what I'd call a sweeping hyzer. Didn't quit figure out how to roll it yet. I'm not a fan of shallow rims but because of the give in the flight plate I had no problems, I don't think I'll like it in proton if its as stiff as it is on the mids. It powers down very nice as well. Comparing it to the saint I like the way it touches down better. No dig ins on anhyzers and not crazy unwanted skips on hyzer shots. It is a tad bit more nose sensitive but I might have just been a little off so nothing severe. Even when it was a tad nose up it was forgiving and wouldn't stall to soon.

All in all I'm very happy so far. Hoping to throw one strictly on every hole to try and break it in ASAP.

What plastic are you throwing? The X is the only one that glides anywhere close to a Volt. As far as Z/ESP Avengers go, the Volt flies a lot better across speeds. Those premium Avengers are much more power hungry for them to work properly. You won't be able to punch a Volt flat into a headwind like you can with a stable Avenger, but besides that I'd say it's going to do just about everything else better...unless you are an X Avenger man. In that case the Volt is similar to a new or slightly worn X Avenger in general stability, but I still think the Volt is a little more under control on it's lines than the X Avenger.
I'm going to have to try one then. I do throw a Z and ESP avenger. Been meaning to try an X though!

I'm starting to think I bought some kind of fluke Volt. My yellow 174g Volt is nowhere near the stability of a TeeBird. Mine flies more like my seasoned Sidewinder. If I put any real power into this Volt it flips up and carries a nice smooth anny line. I want to find some other Volt owners to compare, but I think mine sounds fairly unique.

I'm starting to think I bought some kind of fluke Volt. My yellow 174g Volt is nowhere near the stability of a TeeBird. Mine flies more like my seasoned Sidewinder. If I put any real power into this Volt it flips up and carries a nice smooth anny line. I want to find some other Volt owners to compare, but I think mine sounds fairly unique.

How far you tossing them when they flip over on you like that? Any wind when you tested it?

Either way they are definitely more TL than TB for me.

You did post this in every Volt thread...

I'm starting to think the dome/flat (wing up/wing down) variations aren't that uncommon, and maybe this is a good disc to go to the shop to fondle, compare and hand-pick. I'm thinking I'd like a 3rd, and if I go out to get it I'll definitely be bringing my very stable one with me.

How far you tossing them when they flip over on you like that? Any wind when you tested it?

Either way they are definitely more TL than TB for me.

No wind, and I'm releasing anywhere from flat to a decent amount of hyzer. I was able to crank a few fairly far (for me) with a LOT of hyzer (probably 75 degrees or so) and they were fairly straight. But yeah, nothing like a TeeBird. I don't usually throw too far, maybe max out around 330-340, and this was much less stable than a TeeBird for me.

You did post this in every Volt thread...

I'm starting to think the dome/flat (wing up/wing down) variations aren't that uncommon, and maybe this is a good disc to go to the shop to fondle, compare and hand-pick. I'm thinking I'd like a 3rd, and if I go out to get it I'll definitely be bringing my very stable one with me.

LOL. I like to make sure I'm getting an opinion from ALL Volt throwers. Since people obviously don't know how to stick to one thread, I don't want to miss anyone that may not know about the others. There is no "force all users who are on multiple threads for the exact same topic see this" option ;)

No wind, and I'm releasing anywhere from flat to a decent amount of hyzer. I was able to crank a few fairly far (for me) with a LOT of hyzer (probably 75 degrees or so) and they were fairly straight. But yeah, nothing like a TeeBird. I don't usually throw too far, maybe max out around 330-340, and this was much less stable than a TeeBird for me.

It sure sounds like OAT. I just can't imagine a Volt being that understable at those speeds. My advice would be to let some other skilled people throw it as well and see if it behaves like that for them, if so perhaps it is the disc.

I just took the plunge and ordered one from GGGT. yellow/170

I had to use the search function because it isn't listed in the mvp list of drivers

Latest posts