• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Is opaque plastic just a descriptive term or is an opaque disc more desirable (for non aesthetic reasons) in any way?

It is not more desirable. In Champ plastic it means that they had to add weighting agent in order to get it to the desired weight. This is common in teebirds and the likes of fairway drivers with not a thick rim.

How does a disc get more glide as it beats in?

i was thinking about this today while i was looking at my River and a worn in QJLS.

i noticed that the most worn-in part of the QJLS was the flashing area. then i looked where the flashing is on my River and noticed how much more rounded the inner rim of the new River was compared to a beat in QJLS.

so, it's my theory that as a disc repeatedly lands on the bottom (top facing up), it wears/rounds off the flash of the disc, adding to its glide.

i'm no scientist, but this seems logical to me.

also, in a shot other than a drive are you allowed to back up and get a running start?

As long as you're not in the circle (e.g. 30' from the basket) then yes, assuming that your foot lands within the following distance from your lie:

30 cm, no other supporting points closer to the target.

also, in a shot other than a drive are you allowed to back up and get a running start?

yes

i was thinking about this today while i was looking at my River and a worn in QJLS.

i noticed that the most worn-in part of the QJLS was the flashing area. then i looked where the flashing is on my River and noticed how much more rounded the inner rim of the new River was compared to a beat in QJLS.

so, it's my theory that as a disc repeatedly lands on the bottom (top facing up), it wears/rounds off the flash of the disc, adding to its glide.

i'm no scientist, but this seems logical to me.

Wearing off flashing definitely helps a disc gain glide/lose HSS. Some other people also claim that as a disc gets beat up all the dings and gashes on the disc create some lift or something like that (I don't completely understand it) but an aerodynamics engineer would need to answer that.

I don't really get glide. I understand that discs go longer when they beat in because of the loss of HSS, but I don't when people talk about beat rocs getting this fantastic glide.

As long as you release the disc before you step past your previous lie, and are outside of the 10m (putting) distance, then yes.

I don't really get glide. I understand that discs go longer when they beat in because of the loss of HSS, but I don't when people talk about beat rocs getting this fantastic glide.

beat rocs lose a lot of lss but retain their hss really well, the result is being able to throw them at full power and have them go straight the whole way (including when they are losing speed. They will still penetrate forward). So if I can throw a new roc 270' with the hyzer at the end, I can throw a beat roc 300' straight.

Glide (how I've always thought of it and had it explained to me) is the lift the mold creates as it flies.

Last edited by a moderator:
wearing off flashing definitely helps a disc gain glide/lose HSS. Some other people also claim that as a disc gets beat up all the dings and gashes on the disc create some lift or something like that (I don't completely understand it) but an aerodynamics engineer would need to answer that.

the QJLS i compared the River to is severly worn in. to the point where it doesn't feel like a JLS anymore; the rim feels thinner, like a leopard. it's so worn that where the flashing on the bottom would be is SUPER rounded like how the River is.

that being said, the main thing that stands out to me about the River is it's wing. that's the secret to the swedish glide phenomenon. now we just need to harness it.

i'll try to take a photo, but my camera sucks.

Now I'm no aerodynamics expert, but I am a physics student, so take from this what you will, but

A discs glide comes from the turbulence generated underneath it beneath the flight plate and between the rim, which is why a disc thrown upside down has almost no glide. This is also why the river and flow (both known for glide) have such large domes. So theoretically, more scrapes and dings on the underside would cause more turbulence, and therefore, more glide.

the QJLS i compared the River to is severly worn in. to the point where it doesn't feel like a JLS anymore; the rim feels thinner, like a leopard. it's so worn that where the flashing on the bottom would be is SUPER rounded like how the River is.

that being said, the main thing that stands out to me about the River is it's wing. that's the secret to the swedish glide phenomenon. now we just need to harness it.

i'll try to take a photo, but my camera sucks.

The flashing I am talking about is where the parting line is at. What flashing are you talking about?

thank you, and im assuming that this might be where the mini disk comes in handy?

Yes, but if you're not rethrowing the same disc, you're only picking up 5-6" between you and the basket. Regardless, I do it as a general habit and so do most people that I know that frequently play tourneys.

as far as the rocs and glide...

i'm pretty sure that as the DX/pro Rocs beat in, they flatten out 90% of the time. take a new disc and flex the top until it is flat. then look at the angle of the rim, it's significantly more of an obtuse angle when you have it "flattened".

the rim angle could have something to do with the glide as well. i know that the rocs diameter being larger than drivers adds to the glide as well. this is part of the reason why the River has such great glide. it's a "medium" diameter disc.