• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

On the edge of professional Disc Golf

Well for the trash we as a club empty all the trash off the course. We get 2 or 3 people with trucks (which I am one of the truck owners) & we go through the course & replace the cans with empty bags & take the full bags to the dumpster on the other side of the park. The city never touches the trash on the disc golf course, never have, the club & a few individuals empty all the cans

Parks departments, in general, don't budget each amenity separately, and don't charge fees based on expenses.

The bulk of expenses for the entire park are covered by taxes, with the balance by user fees. They charge a modest user fee where they can, and base it more on what people might be willing to pay, yet still use the park, than on the exact costs. For many amenities and programs, the fee doesn't cover the total expenses; for some, like disc golf, it might generate income.

But they're looking at disc golf as part of the entire park, to cover a portion of the expenses (mowing, staff, garbage, whatever), and not just comparing the park with and without disc golf.

Last edited:
Excessive self-righteous moralizers are far more annoying than excessive burners, and are as much a turn-off to any activity.

I personally don't think it is elist. I think it does weed out the riff raff for sure...what is wrong with that? my guess is that most of the people on this site aren't riff raff (a guess). Who wants to play a great free course that you have to wait for groups of 10 who can't throw for crap for 15 plus minutes a hole? And the prices are still very very inexpensive!

I think making a course pay to play is done on a case by case basis. I think that small 9 hole course should be a pay to play because you see garbage everywhere, large groups and you see people fighting because someone is throwing on them.

I advocate p2p without equivocation (hell, I make my living from a p2p course), but I do feel obligated to point out that p2p will not automatically weed out the "riff raff" or the groups of 10 or garbage everywhere. Believe it or not, rowdy players in large groups leave behind beer cans and candy bar wrappers on the fairways and pay for the pleasure. Of course, their attitude is that they paid their fee, they can do what they want (not unlike "I pay taxes, I can do what I want in a public park").

Maybe if there's a free alternative to paying to play, those folks will avoid the pay courses (there are no freebies around here). But if the trend is that most courses go p2p, the "riff raff" folks will still want to play. Maybe they choose not to play as often, but they'll still play.

Excessive self-righteous moralizers are far more annoying than excessive burners, and are as much a turn-off to any activity.

I've never seen them on the course. I've only seen people like that on the internet. Where I play everyone just does their own thing and is respectful towards each other. Not saying it couldn't be a problem where others live, but it hasn't ever been an issue here in my experience.

Personally I absolutely hate the smell of cigarettes and I've never taken a single hit off one, but if someone near me lights up I just move upwind, no big deal.

PS DG with your shirt off :D

Does that work for exxessive self-righteous moralizing burners? would you say that since you are name calling, that you are a little arrogant and self-righteous yourself?

Last edited:

I personally think excessive self-righteous moralizers are definitely annoying in general...sober or stoned. :doh:

A little curious, if you are confident that you don't know everything. Which I am confident of, I don't know everything and I am confortable with that.

Is it ok to be confident to know that you don't know everything? or do you see that as self-righteous? or wait...is that self-righteous? I get a feeling that you are labeling some people without even thinking about what you are saying. You need to state why you think that (and of course it is a choice). personally, you appear to be a self-righteous moralizer...and more than likely a burner...a self-righteous moralizing buner :thmbup: judge yourself before you judge others :thmbup:

your lack of seeing the big picture bleeds through most of your posts
are you 18 and ready to take on the world?

ivory tower has nothing to do with my dislike of rampaging herds of feral shirtless backwards ballcap dudes whooping and hollering and chucking one disc while throwing at their buddies and yelling "get in the hole" during every other throw

did i just describe you?

is that why you are so concerned with my comments?

or are you one of those oblivious pot smokers who doesn't care if he does it in front of families because, you know, "it's eventually going to be legal everywhere and they should just learn to deal with it. it grows naturally, man, it's not a big deal"
You're right. You have convinced me with your divisive rhetoric that we need more people with your attitude on the course :thmbup:

I find it hard to imagine myself ever paying to play at a 9 hole course. Ever. It would have to be pretty a-maz-ing!!

The course I am talking about wasn't amazing at all. I personally like to play 18 hole courses. It is popular because it is right in the middle of the city and a lot of kids and people in general go there to get a "quick" nine in right after work and it gets packed.

I have read this entire thread, and in my opinion the only realanswer to all this BS is just **** up and huck..most of the people complaining of etiquette problems are complaint about people just hanging out with their buddies HAVING FUN, next time a "shirtless stoner" slows your pace or walks/talks behind you when you throw, just stop him/her and say hey don't do that please. I don't think I've seen anything on here that any one on here will have the power to change.

So again I say shut up and HUCK!! Why allow people that have no knowledge of the sport being taken seriously ruin your day. Even the creator of sport said,"The one who has the most fun wins." I could be shooting +10 as long as I'm having fun I could care less. The day I stop having fun is the day I need to question why I'm out on the course to begin with.

your lack of seeing the big picture bleeds through most of your posts
are you 18 and ready to take on the world?

ivory tower has nothing to do with my dislike of rampaging herds of feral shirtless backwards ballcap dudes whooping and hollering and chucking one disc while throwing at their buddies and yelling "get in the hole" during every other throw

did i just describe you?

is that why you are so concerned with my comments?

or are you one of those oblivious pot smokers who doesn't care if he does it in front of families because, you know, "it's eventually going to be legal everywhere and they should just learn to deal with it. it grows naturally, man, it's not a big deal"

:thmbup: No offense, but I like you. Real talk. Even when I partook of certain things, I never took it out in public. So yes, I get pissed when I see people toking up at the local park while preschoolers are playing on the playground. Yes, I get pissed when drunken idiots cause the rest of us to look like fools adding to the overwhelming disdain that many people feel for disc golf. So yes i agree with you DQ.

Last edited:
So naive.

Skateboarding and snowboarding sold the lifestyle aspect. Not just the sport.

How many people do you know who wear skate gear and don't even skate?

DC, Billabong, Etnie's, etc, etc.

That and like Mike C said, its much more exciting to watch skating and snowboarding.

And much easier to film it and present it as a product.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

This is what 90% of disc golfers and 95% of people on this forum DO NOT GET.

I'll take it a step further and say they don't sell the sport at all. They only sell the lifestyle. The demographic that buys the most buys it for the look, the people who do it for a living have the sponsors already anyway.

You guys bring up good points but there are 3 courses in my town & none of them are DG only, one in particular it's not unusual to have picnickers, kids running around, etc in some of the fairways.
Those are precisely the kind of courses that are not going to translate well into becoming pay courses, and unless some local authorities go off their rockers, I don't see them ever becoming such.

As for the tax dollar argument, 2 of the parks are city & 1 county. I live in the city so I pay taxes to both so yes, I do think my tax money should cover park use.
What about the courses outside of your county that are also as free to play for a non-resident like yourself, as they are a resident who pays taxes there, and perhaps doesn't play disc golf at all?

I have read this entire thread, and in my opinion the only realanswer to all this BS is just **** up and huck..most of the people complaining of etiquette problems are complaint about people just hanging out with their buddies HAVING FUN, next time a "shirtless stoner" slows your pace or walks/talks behind you when you throw, just stop him/her and say hey don't do that please. I don't think I've seen anything on here that any one on here will have the power to change.

So again I say shut up and HUCK!! Why allow people that have no knowledge of the sport being taken seriously ruin your day. Even the creator of sport said,"The one who has the most fun wins." I could be shooting +10 as long as I'm having fun I could care less. The day I stop having fun is the day I need to question why I'm out on the course to begin with.

The reason YOU play is to have fun. And that's ok. That's you're thing so do it. But there are some people out there (myself included,) that have a very strong desire to get better. Now I'll admit this: I'm not always "having fun" when I have a disc in my hand. Sometimes I get so frustrated and just wanna put my bag on ebay. But do you think when LeBron is spending countless hours in the gym shooting jumpers that he's "having fun?" That's probably not his definition of leisure. It's his commitment to getting better. And that is why some of us are out on the course. A lot of times, I often throw by myself, that way I can stay focused on the reason I'm there. And if I had a dollar for every time I had to wait for a group with no etiquette just "having fun" to ask if I would like to play through, well I could probably play every tournament this year for free. And most of the time when I do get asked if I wanna play through, it's when they stop for a "refreshment break."

Those are precisely the kind of courses that are not going to translate well into becoming pay courses, and unless some local authorities go off their rockers, I don't see them ever becoming such.

What about the courses outside of your county that are also as free to play for a non-resident like yourself, as they are a resident who pays taxes there, and perhaps doesn't play disc golf at all?

Yes I see what you're getting at but out-of-towners that don't pay taxes here come play my local courses so it works both ways. I don't use the dog parks but my tax dollars are used to keep them up & I've definitely seen out of town/state car tags in the parking lots.
My main point, and maybe my only one even though I've rambled quite a bit, is that I'm not opposed to pay-to-play as long as it's not just the DG course that has a fee attached to it

I don't know everything and I am confortable with that.

you appear to be a self-righteous moralizer...and more than likely a burner...a self-righteous moralizing buner

Which is it? One thing worse than overbearing selfrighteousness is blatant hypocrisy.

I can safely say that we have room to agree here...you definitely don't know everything, friend.

The reason YOU play is to have fun. And that's ok. That's you're thing so do it. But there are some people out there (myself included,) that have a very strong desire to get better. Now I'll admit this: I'm not always "having fun" when I have a disc in my hand. Sometimes I get so frustrated and just wanna put my bag on ebay. But do you think when LeBron is spending countless hours in the gym shooting jumpers that he's "having fun?" That's probably not his definition of leisure. It's his commitment to getting better. And that is why some of us are out on the course. A lot of times, I often throw by myself, that way I can stay focused on the reason I'm there. And if I had a dollar for every time I had to wait for a group with no etiquette just "having fun" to ask if I would like to play through, well I could probably play every tournament this year for free. And most of the time when I do get asked if I wanna play through, it's when they stop for a "refreshment break."

Did you just compare yourself to Lebron James? Haha Honestly I totally get where you're coming from, to a certain extent. I also tend to play a lot of rounds by myself and I get held up quite often. Most of the the time people have zero etiquette and it takes me 3 or 4 holes to get through. Truthfully I have to say that people smoking herb and/or drinking some brews are not the problem here. Most of the time the groups that hold me up are watching their friend try to find his disc (and not helping them find it to save time), or just moving in slow motion and concentrating on their conversations instead of the game.
I also disagree with anyone who thinks stoners and people drinking on the course are part of the reason disc golf is being held back. Just look at ball golf. Drinking and smoking are staples of almost any ball golf course as well.

Latest posts