• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pdga championship - who will win?

Was the entry for ams really $100?....cause 1st place women won entry fee back and am men paid $6000+ in entries and only paid out a little over $2000 if it was. Is it usual in the pdga to take am money to add to pro purse?

Was the entry for ams really $100?....cause 1st place women won entry fee back and am men paid $6000+ in entries and only paid out a little over $2000 if it was. Is it usual in the pdga to take am money to add to pro purse?

Yeah that is the only way that they make money is off ams! No sponsor is adding cash these days for the most part.

yea, seriously. I'd understand taking fees and such only out of ams and even some am entry going to pro, but for 1st to win entry back and a field of 62 to only pay out 200 with 100 being the entry fee? That's a bit ridiculous.

That's just going to keep ams away and hurt the pro payout in the long run, IMO.

no, not seriously. it would be wise to familiarize yourself with pdga payout standards. these can be found on the pdga website. most likely the money that you claim is "missing" was paid out as a player's package which every amateur competitor received.

Thanks for the support here! I didn't play as well on the Ed today as I would have liked. Too many missed putts. I shot my rating and dropped a few spots to finish 14th. Once the pdga site was finally up I checked to see if there was any mention of my hot round for the afternoon. Here's what it said about the overall leader Charlie Coleman:

He tightened his grip on the lead in the afternoon shooting a 56 on the shorter Warner layout which was second best among Advanced men.

I guess even though I beat him by 2 that round it wasn't good enough for a mention. :doh:

Thanks for the clarification Chuck on Climo's hot round. So he only beat my 957 rated round by 12 strokes. I don't feel so bad now but that's still sick!

I played with some great people during this tourney. I was humbled watching the pro final 9. It seemed like the disc just sling-shotted out of Schusterick's hand.

I got to hang out around many top pros throughout the weekend and was impressed by all of them. I had a great time!

no, not seriously. it would be wise to familiarize yourself with pdga payout standards. these can be found on the pdga website. most likely the money that you claim is "missing" was paid out as a player's package which every amateur competitor received.

All players (including pros) got a players pack. I'm still in favor of getting more than 2x what you put in if you win 1st place.

42 pros at $200 each for 1st place of $3100 (36.9% of their entry fees).
62 advanced at $100 each for 1st place of $200 (3.2% of their entry fees).

We all understand the am scam and that ams shouldn't be in it for just money but maybe a basket or something would have been nice! I wouldn't have minded a disc in the players pack (as promised) but that's not that big of a deal either. It was a great tourney and I expect it will only get better.

Wasn't the players pack a stool and shirt? Yup, that's probably where it went.

It just looked to me like the extra cash to pro came from ams, which isnt that bad in itself. Its just to take so much that FIRST PLACE won back her entry fee. I admit I didnt think about players pack to start with, but that still seems like a bunch taken out.

Huge congrats to Wysocki on the win. Been rooting for him for the last few, glad he got one :)

i'm not sure of the player's package for this particular event. most of the amateur uproar that you are referencing is usually when a club gets merchandise at wholesale and pays out the amateur division at retail prices. the differential is then applied to the pro payout--or at least that is the perception. some are angry at this. others believe the club can do whatever it wants with the money it makes. i'd be surprised if the pdga "short-changed" the amateur divisions at this event.

62 Advanced Players @ $100 each = $6200

I'm gonna assume a few things:

Event management fee up to $750
$750 / 115 players is $6.52 per player

The cost per player is the same as a National Tour event. $5 per player fee.
62 Adv * $5 = $310

The Event Sanctioning fee: is the same as NT event?, $100 + $50 for insurance.
$150 / 115 players is $1.30 per player.

Players pack:
From what has been posted all AM's got a polo and tripod stool. Assuming that the AM's are charged retail that PDGA suggests I will assume that the Polo was $15 - $20 retail lets call it $17.50. Ill assume the stool was $10-$15 retail lets say $12.50 each

62Adv * $17.50 = $1085
62Adv * $12.50 = $775

The payout for Advanced was $2011 and %50 of the field got paid out.

Please keep in mind I have never ran or been apart of a event of this size. I don't know all of the details, and i'm sure i have missed a number of things and gotten a few wrong.

Recap:
ADV entry fee's $6200

ADV event cost $792
ADV players pack cost $1860
ADV payout $2011

After all of that $1537 + - was missing from the ADV field entry fees.

According to the PDGA numbers they have the cost per ADV player for the event @ $67.56 per player. Seems a bit high, but again I have no idea what the real numbers are. Did you all get lunch or dinner? Did I miss something?

Please someone correct me.

-Chris

Source: http://www.pdga.com/tdinfo

$100 for a stool and a shirt? Those items bought in bulk typically go for 10-15 total....I guess the prestige of playing with the top pros is worth 80 bucks...well sort of..lol

In all seriousness the AM Scam is not gonna change until a disc manufacturer starts backing the NT or an A tier series.....on the local level there's not as much uproar cause Nancy arms like me only have to shell out 40 bucks tops.

Ironically, perhaps the PDGA took the cash to maintain and pay for their courses....would it not be nice if the PDGA encouraged all tournaments to pay for the courses on the local level......hypocrites...lol

"throws match...walks away giggling"

most of the amateur uproar that you are referencing is usually when a club gets merchandise at wholesale and pays out the amateur division at retail prices. the differential is then applied to the pro payout--or at least that is the perception.

Actually, I completely agree with making money from the difference in wholesale and retail. It's the only way to make any real money from a tourny. I wish the people/clubs actually made more money off tourneys so that there would be more.

I guess I'm just spoiled by the 100%+ payouts of the local southern national tournaments, but it just doesn't seem right to take out so much.

i think you're way low on the shirt and stool. not realistically, but remember, this is "retail." i'd bet those shirts were valued at no less than $30 and the stool no less than $20. this puts the missing cash at $397. i don't have a horse in this race as they say, i'm just interested in the topic. is there custom printing on the stool?

The tripod was a nice camptime with pdga championship and huklab logo and one more on it I think. The polos also seem really nice ($30 at the store probably). I wasn't trying to start anything or complain. I'm sure the PDGA can justify the payout completely. I would still have liked to see a basket or something awesome for first place.

it sounds like you had an awesome time. i regret missing it. i commend the pdga actually for running the tournament. i'd like to see them run more tournaments and especially those with a limited number of divisions. i think providing disc golfers with memorable experiences goes a long way in growing the sport and attracting outside interest.

I wasn't thinking retail...was figuring at cost

limited divisions seems like a more legitimate event

A quality shirt and durable stool and the experience of playing in a premeir event might warrant 100 dollars

I still think those who benefit from the sport (Innova, Discraft, etc.) should do more on the major tournament scene.....I'd think it would be a win win....but I suppose if it aint broke why would they tinker with their current strategy

Latest posts