• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reachback and turning away timing in the X Step.

Cute. Great thread. Great posting everywhere on this site, thank you so much for your contributions:|

Why is it so hard to understand learning control and technique first followed by distance? Going from 180' to 300' or so makes sense as an early goal but beyond that you (every beginner) lose me. I know you just checked out TWs 500' thread, did he just instantly hope to throw that far? No, it took him years after learning technique.

People are spending their free time to try to help you, yet you **** all over them. I'm the angry voice of reason trying to tell you to listen to those people. Why is that so difficult for you?

Do you really think you deciphering YouTube videos in your own mind is above people that have dedicated hundreds or thousands of hours to this game? Do you think you can suddenly become Seppo or Simon or Paul through interpretive dance? Come on, man. Even a genuine genius would need guidance with a physical activity (NOT calling you one).
I'm not sure your argument or comments.

We learn both distance and control at the same time. Constantly working at increasing strength, conditioning, teqnique and control all add up to the best direction. Working on distance has been the best way for me to also learn control. They certainly aren't exclusive of each other.

It's wise to have goals and push hard for them. Is that not the principle of success?

I'm not sure your argument or comments.

We learn both distance and control at the same time. Constantly working at increasing strength, conditioning, teqnique and control all add up to the best direction. Working on distance has been the best way for me to also learn control. They certainly aren't exclusive of each other.

It's wise to have goals and push hard for them. Is that not the principle of success?

Is one of your goals to reinvent the disc golf form?

Is one of your goals to reinvent the disc golf form?

No, it is however one of my goals to separate myth from truth in teqnique so that I can progress quicker. Hopefully others can learn from it too.

What are the myths?
What are the truths?

Well, for starters- it's a myth that turning back too soon hurts distance.

Also a myth- it's a myth that turning back more rearward hurts distance.

I see this a lot where someone will post for advice on their form (usually in conjunction with distance) and inevitably someone will say "you are turning back too soon".

I see this a lot where someone will post for advice on their form (usually in conjunction with distance) and inevitably someone will say "you are turning back too soon".

I know a guy who is convinced that very, very long speaker cables build up more power between the amplifier and speakers. He can hear them sound louder. No one can convince him otherwise. No one.

I would ask you if running 10 steps while reaching back the whole time is reaching back too soon for a distance shot. The reason i ask this remedial question is to discover if you are intellectually honest.

I know a guy who is convinced that very, very long speaker cables build up more power between the amplifier and speakers. He can hear them sound louder. No one can convince him otherwise. No one.

I would ask you if running 10 steps while reaching back the whole time is reaching back too soon for a distance shot. The reason i ask this remedial question is to discover if you are intellectually honest.

Running back 10 steps is ridiculous. That's a pointless question. What we are after, and in question is more in the range of 1/2 to 3 steps.

Good luck with that.

I'd just like to get to where people stop saying "you are turning back to soon" when discussing distance. It's a myth.

Again, ridiculous. What's your point?

Not ridiculous at all. Me and Simon Lizotte say the reachback should be limited and momentary, like a rubber band. You say the reachback should be limited to three or less steps. My point is that you and I agree that reachback can occur too soon, we disagree on the threshold.

Not ridiculous at all. Me and Simon Lizotte say the reachback should be limited and momentary, like a rubber band. You say the reachback should be limited to three or less steps. My point is that you and I agree that reachback can occur too soon, we disagree on the threshold.

No one is out there taking 4 or more steps fully turned, so it's kibd of a ridiculous thing. Almost entirely, we are speaking of a +/- of around a step or two. That falls within the 1/2 to 3 steps. My turn and reach back starts around the 3rd step but doesn't come to fruition until the 1/2 step point.

If there was some actual study showing how distance and the turn are related that would be interesting but in general I think these myths are born from basic conjecture and since one notable person repeats it enough pretty soon everyone else is too and people make up all kinds of reasons why but none of it is based upon any real study or science.

No one is out there taking 4 or more steps fully turned, so it's kibd of a ridiculous thing. Almost entirely, we are speaking of a +/- of around a step or two. That falls within the 1/2 to 3 steps. My turn and reach back starts around the 3rd step but doesn't come to fruition until the 1/2 step point.

If there was some actual study showing how distance and the turn are related that would be interesting but in general I think these myths are born from basic conjecture and since one notable person repeats it enough pretty soon everyone else is too and people make up all kinds of reasons why but none of it is based upon any real study or science.

You're saying someone can turn back too soon.

I think the disc golf community should eschew the term 'reach-back' altogether and replace it with back-swing. Reaching back implies so many things you can conceptually get wrong.