• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Spin?

Rounded inner rim does have a learning curve to appreciate which most aren't willing to invest in. Once you get it it improves your overall touch and approach game.

I see a lot of people throw a disc one time and give up on it. I enjoy the challenge of figuring them out.

I've been clicking with the Spin had some great approach shots in Sunday doubles.. Its getting a lot more use then the Proxy. The Proxy is too straight.

How similar is a Plaz Proxy to a Proton Spin?

How similar is a Plaz Proxy to a Proton Spin?

The Proxy I have is same weight I've found it to be a freaky straight disc I compare it to my Tangent when it was in the 1 year sweet spot. Lives to fly straight great tunnel shots. I find the Spin more responsive on short anhyzer shots it keeps turning while the Proxy kind of dumps down straight. I had high hopes for it beside the Envy but it's too close and not similar enough in the short shot HSS dept.

I think wolfmandragon said the Spin was like MVPs Comet... I doubted at first of course but honestly I'm interchanging it with a Comet for shots where I want the same flight but less big wing kinda action... softer downhill turns etc. The Spin has been super useful on upshots and straight gentle drop hyzers when I cheat with a 40 degree hyzer. Worst case it goes straight and floats down flat.

I find the Spin real close to my old Evo Magic.. It really grabs the air and floats. Its probably why it's getting the bag space over the Proxy. My Proxy needs time to season but I doubt if it will ever develop the same flat to Anny flight.

(At sea level, LHBH 310', in the woods)

I wish. Plasma Spin would be swell (although maybe unprecedentedly understable). Ion and Anode are 2 of MVP's oldest molds and the Spin came out comparatively recently so it hasn't gotten the plastic treatment its older bros have.

I concur. If you're a putter throwing fiend you can find room for both but the difference is like fresh Teebird (Ion) and seasoned Teebird (Anode).

A lot. On a flat release with much power at all it's going to flip like 75-100', feels like immediately. It's not quite Signal flippy but it's in that ball park. It takes a healthy amount of hyzer to keep it from burning. It's great actually, all those short to medium dogleg rights in the woods that you used to have to power up the Ion or Anode to keep it turned over, you can just smoothly rip the Spin with a little hyzer just before the corner and watch it drift right around it. It's the closest thing MVP has to a lid, think of it as the MVP APX.

We were talking in the Ion thread and I thought I'd move Bro D comments over here..

I had a good round with the Spin and I can't imagine not having it or another one of MVPS understable offerings in the bag... the Vertex is its competitors in my bag.... Its what I've been wanting from them for 8 years

Soft Neutron would stay in the sweet spot much longer. Plasma seems to beat in quicker than reg neutron or Proton

Soft Neutron would stay in the sweet spot much longer. Plasma seems to beat in quicker than reg neutron or Proton

I think this depends on the blend for sure. Had many of all plastics which can be little harder etc. I have tossed and putted the hell out of them all so have a good sample. Have super old proton putters and toss plasma for driving often.

just switched to putting with the electron spin. i have a nose up spush putt and the spin just hold perfectly straight. So if i hit my line it is in the chains.
I throw a proton spin for shorter up shot and go to the proxy when i feel i need to put a little more speed on the disc.

Looking at the Spin as an alternative to a suregrip or superglow Magic. It needs to slot in next to my N Envy/Pl Proxy combo as a disc for powered down anny approaches or higher powered hyzer flips.

A moment ago I noticed that these two discs share a very similar profile: http://mvpdiscsports.com/disc-golf-disc-models/spin-disc-golf-putter / https://www.gdstour.com/disc-golf-discs/putt-and-approach/magic/

Considering I already plan on bagging a Proxy for laser beams, what plastic should I check out for the Spin? I putt with Daggers, so the only consideration need be for throwing. Would a Proton Spin around 170g be too similar in flight to the Proxy? Should I try Electron first?

The spin is very understable when given power. It turns from flat pretty quick and needs some mean hyzer to keep straight like a proxy. It is deeper feeling like a dagger or ion etc. Magic is more like a proxy in that regard.

If you want a more US magic with a dagger feel/glide for throwing the spin is a win. ;)

Before I go buy one, can I confirm that even the proton spins are neutral to flippy off the shelf? It's reasonable that the electron would start and become even moreso, I just don't want to end up with yet another premium "understable" mold that fades early on a lower powered shot.

Actually check this review out, seems to answer my question adequately:

EDIT can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with sharing these youtube vids?

P spin is understable. Have to hyzer flip it to get a straight flight with and power. Powered down will just glide straight

:confused:

Hmm video wont load no matter how i edit?

Paste the link part of YT after the = in the YT code brackets. No other url parts just unique video id

Last edited:

correct sir

Also update, picked up a 174g proton spin a moment ago. On its inaugural toss into the yard next to the shop, it glided like nobody's business on a gentle anny and nestled into the grass with a very slight fade. I think this will work out, and if it's enough more understable than the proxy, I'll bag both, otherwise it's looking like:

173g N Envy
174g P Spin
Hard Daggers

Before I go buy one, can I confirm that even the proton spins are neutral to flippy off the shelf? It's reasonable that the electron would start and become even moreso, I just don't want to end up with yet another premium "understable" mold that fades early on a lower powered shot.

Fwiw MVP premium molds fly the same as baseline when new. Ions atoms volts vectors etc all mold up true to OG flight.