• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strange, Funny, or Odd Course Names

bjreagh

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Ever run across a disc golf course with a name that just jumps out at you as being odd, strange, or funny? Or maybe course names that are inaccurate descriptions of what they really are?

Naval Surface Weapons Station- sounds like a video game

Amelia Earhart Park- I would be afraid of losing discs permanently

What course names make you chuckle? :)

State Hospital South in Idaho. I have it on my wish list. I always mark any hospital, rehab or mental health center that I can find.

Chalybeate Springs - Smiths Grove, Ky. No one ever knows how to pronounce this one, to the best of my understanding it is pronounced (ka-lee-be-ate), but it's funny to hear people talk about the course and try to pronounce it.

Last edited:
the course by my house is the "flying disc sanctuary"
inside oxbow park

Andersbergsringen, Bjärka Säby...basically any swedish course name makes me think of this guy:

swedishchef460.jpg

borka borka borka...:|

During my course exploring last summer I stumbled on a evening league event a few minutes late. The few 3-somes were still sitting around in the shelter. I said hi and everyone just kind of grunted. I asked where I could sign up since it would be fun as an out of towner and everyone told me I was late but told me to ask that guy....a guy who was loading things in his car. I told him I was late, was from out of town, but would love to join in. I know it is a hassle to accommodate latecomers since have run probably 150 of these sort of events (and I would have sent home any chronic stragglers.....but an out of towner????), but he told me "no - you're late come back next week." I told him I was from out of town and would not be back next week. He just turned his back and walked away.

Appropriately, the park we were at is called Tendick. :)

It's not very fair to heap that negativity on the organizer. I know I've had a LOT of problems with people showing up late and expecting everyone to wait for them. Once in a while, sure that's understandable. But the problem is there is going to be one or two that just WILL NOT make the effort to be on time, and if it always is accepted, those that make the effort to be on time start to get disenchanted.

Call me a dick, but I've made that call a few times. It sucks for the organizer, they probably want as many to play as possible. But when you have a few who constantly take advantage of generosity, it ruins it for the responsible ones. Sometimes you have to stand firm to avoid chaos.

State Hospital South in Idaho. I have it on my wish list. I always mark any hospital, rehab or mental health center that I can find.

That's pretty funny. I have a State Hostpital less than one mile from me. It has an amazingly beautiful property and I constantly make up holes in my head. I wonder if theres anyone I could talk to about getting a dream course put in.

Chalybeate Springs - Smiths Grove, Ky. No one ever knows how to pronounce this one, to the best of my understanding it is pronounced (ka-lee-be-ate), but it's funny to hear people talk about the course and try to pronounce it.

Good one. I love the course but the name reminds me of something you might catch from a large woman in a dark alley who sells her "services"

My wife's mother works with handicapped people at a facility outside of Carlsbad, New Mexico. I'm not sure if the property is owned by the State or not (Washington Ranch), but WOW! Acres and acres of desert oasis situated right next to Rattlesnake Springs State Park. Three large ponds, cliffs, canyons, HUGE trees, and a creek. Historical significance also.

Drifting away to dream land...