• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 2012 Amateur Championships at Bowling Green

according to dgu and the payout, i never showed up for this tourney :doh:

i'm sure it will be sent out, but with that and the ratings not correct yet, makes me second guess coming back.

Ive already decided I won't, even if my player rating allows. I had a great time playing and carrying on with everyone but there are so many things that nearly ruined this event for me. Ive never seen keriakis look so bad

Oh I'll be back. Too much fun to be had, sh*t to talk, scores to improve, etc.
I also intend on upping my beer intake next year. I had to take it easy in case my very pregnant wife made the "get home now" call!

For the record, still waiting on the little one!

If the course conditions at Kereiakes are the worst thing you had to deal with on a long tourney weekend, you're doing pretty well. There was some longer grass in a few spots off the fairways, but I didn't find it to be a problem at all.

There was some longer grass in a few spots off the fairways, but I didn't find it to be a problem at all.

The long grass was terrible. I heard of more than 1 person taking lost disc penalties in or immediately adjacent to fairways. Having no drinking water available during the rounds was also a major bummer. The player's pack discs and "win your card" prizes were also mostly let downs.

BG Ams is still one of the best (definitely most fun!) tourneys I've ever played (3 times now) and I definitely plan on returning next year! I love the payout system where you don't have to wait around on Sunday!

Looking forward to an all-Charlotte cabin at the KOA next year...

according to dgu and the payout, i never showed up for this tourney :doh:

i'm sure it will be sent out, but with that and the ratings not correct yet, makes me second guess coming back.

Send a message to HB. It's difficult not to make a few mistakes when you run a tourney with 631 players. I'm sure he'll be quick to correct the issue. Overall I'm impressed with the organization of the tourney. Keep up the good work!

Charlotte cabin with a practice basket will indeed be where it's at. I wish I could've practiced putting after rounds while I was there this time around!

Seems like everything I wanted from DGU sold out before I got my payout. I really wanted some of those lightweight flat top firebirds!

I also found the course conditions terrible.

If you are going to play the 2 meter rule at Keriakes at least cut the grass to players can play rollers or skip shots to avoid said 2 meter rule penalties. I found a couple discs lost in the middle of the fairway due to the long grass. There were also numerous shots at BG Tech were we lost/almost lost discs only a few feet off the fairway and in one instance within 25' of the basket. The undergrowth was terrible and I know many people besides myself picked up ticks at one point or another during the week.

Player rating allows?
Ill be above 970 and ive already accepted cash. No more am events after bowling green gets added. Whiz is on the money about rollers too. Thats my bread and butter shot and I believe I threw 1 the entire weekend due to horribly tall grass. Also hole 13A @ Hobson was the most horribly maintained hole. Grass was knee deep in spots on the fairway. Sorry to beat a dead horse after the fact but its so disappointing. Everyone who played with me knows I had a good time... even with the car wreck on Saturday after bg tech

I'm glad you guys have cleaned out DGU! Still waiting for a reply from the TD as to where my payout is. lol. How long has this tournament been run? It feels like there is similar criticisms from year to year.

Yea BG Tech could have used a bit of mowing, but I don't know how much they are able to do with the park dept. It looked a little overgrown compared to courses I am used to playing on. I had a number of putts from drag piles, brush, and deep shule 15' from the basket. I didnt expect that on an event this big.

Kereiakas...seemed fine to me. I actually would have preferred longer grass off the fairways... but wider shorter cut grass for the fairways. If you want to lay down a roller... then you better hit the fairway path.

I feel like I didnt have a disc flare all weekend long.

One thing that was noticeable was the style of play. If you saw an obstacle, you just threw over it. I have never seen so many Mando's, many unnecessary. 12 and 14 at BTGC were good examples.

Charlotte cabin with a practice basket will indeed be where it's at. I wish I could've practiced putting after rounds while I was there this time around!

Seems like everything I wanted from DGU sold out before I got my payout. I really wanted some of those lightweight flat top firebirds!

I snagged them. This is Tony. I beat you by 1 stoke and took the Firechickens

14's mando was on a tree that tilted from the tee forward...and the sign was 8' forward of the base. The left and right signs were at cockeyed angles so there was no way to determine the line of the Mando. I didn't see a mando with the actual OB line painted or marked so that you could get a line of sight. We just had to "guess" perpendicularity from the "fairway" and this caused a few issues. If I had some constructive criticism for next year, I would say mark clear Mando lines.

I made a sketch of hole 14's mando's. You can see there are a number of different Mando "lines" that could be determined by the signs, the trees, base of trees, sign placement, and sign face plane angle.

What is the Mando Line here?

Center of sign to center of sign makes the line <---M____M---->
Is it left edge of left tree base to right edge of right tree base makes a line.
Is it left edge of left tree base to right edge of right tree base makes a line but then outside line goes perpendicular to tee box.
Is it the center of the sign to center of sign makes the "you make mando, but then the right and left missed line follows the face angle of the sign itself.

In this sketch, what discs are OB if they flew there straight from the tee pad. We had controversy over whether the yellow red and green disc were OB. The player in question was where the green disc was, not passing the left side sign or the line the center of the signs made but passing the left side tree base and the right side tree base. We just talked him into taking an unplayable lie it was safer than re-winding the Mando anyways.

What discs in this sketch have missed the Mando? (if my sketch makes sense)

attachment.php

Attachments

• MANDO.jpg
    MANDO.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 90

Latest posts