• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

dammit, you just cannot throw all the discs in the "lovers threads". Well... I guess I'm proof that you can, but it doesn't help your game at all.

I know I know...I think I am sticking with the Striker for now but may add an Orc or something for max D, I'm having to give the Vision a ton of hyzer for max D.

I love the Striker, but its not the best for headwinds or turning right and I was thinking about finding one magical mold to cover all those shots. Basically everything I can do with my Gazelles but longer.

It's why I have like 8 discs for the middle of my bag (fairway distance). I have a couple discs for anhyzer, a couple for straight and a couple for nice and straight with predictable hyzer or for hyzer shots. I find the striker great for hyzer shots. I found that for dead straight, it didn't hold up as well in wind - not a lot of turnover, but not dead straight like, say, a PD, teebird, stalker, etc. But by the same token, those discs didn't hold a hyzer the same as the striker and get the great skip...

just excuses to carry too many discs, I know.

I'm really trying to keep it minimalist, I just want to try everything before I decide!

Ideally, something like the PD would replace my Firebird, Striker, and Vision in one mold in different stages. I could then toss the Trident back in for utilities and have a more max D "S" disc like an Orc or Wraith.

I can see a PD replacing a Striker and maybe waay down the road replacing a Vision... but never a Firebird/xXx/Predator/etc...

And recently the PD has been every bit as long as my Orcs on a slightly higher line... for a light-moderate wind disc the P PD glides very well(like Assassin glide...i know, i sound crazy but it's true!lol). Maybe the S is a different animal... iono, but the P's bomb. And they aren't that difficult to power down... but I will never choose to throw a PD over a Z Pred when it's howling mad wind or I need it to finish hard hyzer, or a stop dead spike, or on a big skip line, etc, etc...

Of course it could all be a wash and I'm just enamored with this particular disc at this particular time because the planets are beginning to align and I find myself throwing cleaner and farther with less effort.

mason65 said:
I know I know...I think I am sticking with the Striker for now but may add an Orc or something for max D, I'm having to give the Vision a ton of hyzer for max D.

I love the Striker, but its not the best for headwinds or turning right and I was thinking about finding one magical mold to cover all those shots. Basically everything I can do with my Gazelles but longer.

Orion LF

Molf beats into turnover disc
Solf&1.1Qolf for straight and fade
Qolf1.2 mini-pred

but on a side note I am intruiged by the PD and would like to try one sometime

Discmania has got one big issue...They aren't in stores. I'm a discaholic, but I won't buy what I can't touch. I'm pretty spoiled by the Clearwater Disc Golf Store--They've all all Lat 64, all the T-wolves etc, huge selection of Gateway putters, but no Discmania. I've mentioned it to the owner, he likes to have everything, but he'd never even heard of any of the DM stuff except for what Innova sent as an Xmas gift. Why isn't discmania marketing itself?

I bet it would cut into innova sales if it were widely available. PDs and DD are VERY solid discs. I also think those 2 discs are better than their respective Innova counterparts.

Just toss out the $10 and get a PPD from disc golf center. If you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands.

I'm just going to keep on Joe @ CDGS to order some. I've got to defeat this attitude that I can tell he kind of possesses of these being Innova "B" molds and that if they were that good Innova would be using them. Its a silly position, especially considering he putts with Omegas...

Does he realize that's just a squishy aviar?

Hell, DDs and PDs are half Innova molds with a new top and the GM IS a gremlin and the putters are just frankenstein innova putters?

discspeed said:
Why isn't discmania marketing itself?

I'd like to know that myself but it's probably a business decision. The same guy runs Innova Europe and Discmania so how much the Discmanias aren't Innovas you know? How much money is there for marketing now and is America beyond his means marketing wise and does Dave D want to limit competition to pure Innovas?

S PD is much better for it's role than Hysteria DD considering the available competition. I think I might have to get to know P PD as well because S is too stable for most situations for me and overlapping Z Pred/TB/whatever and Boss/champ Xcal combo for left finishes at different distances and winds. Not to mention ESP Force on trial at the moment and the Pro Destroyers I like and the stabilized Champ Wraith, poppy top ESP Flash and and...

So I sent Jussi Meresmaa an email, and he said no plans to make a Champion PD :(.

He also said
The PD is actually close to Millenniums Orion LF, but it is kind of reshaped TeeBird.

I'd say we were already on the right track with that one.

A new Star PD already flies like that. WTB Champ, man...fundraiser or something, they gotta do it, I would buy a minimum of 4-5

JN - what do you use the PD for? Gimme some examples of holes you'd use it on around here? What kinds of distances? Trying to get a feel for what the disc has to offer me.

Furthur said:
I know. Could you imagine a Stabilized PD? Like a fast Firebird.

Wind? What wind?

You need to check out the 1.2 QOLF, that is pretty much how I would describe it. Its not quite as overstable as my Z pred, but it is much more stable than a regular SOLF

The PD is actually close to Millenniums Orion LF, but it is kind of reshaped TeeBird.

Bah....so why did I just order 2*P-PD's :p

black udder said:
JN - what do you use the PD for? Gimme some examples of holes you'd use it on around here? What kinds of distances? Trying to get a feel for what the disc has to offer me.
I'm having trouble remembering holes back in RVA at this point, been a while. I use it for most anything between 315'-340' (flat holes) that need to finish left (new S PD) or a bit longer that need to be straight (beatish P PD). I tend to pull the PD out in the woods when I need accuracy and distance. There aren't too many of those holes back in the RVA area, although that new monster course in Powhatan might make use of that sort of shot. If it is open, and the line doesn't matter too much, and >335' I'd probably throw a Wraith.

Right now PD is all I have between Rocs and Wraiths, other than a seasoned EL.

I think it flies like a faster beat Firebird when new, or in the case of my Star PD it has held that flight for a while now. It flies beautifully into a headwind, 15mph maybe (bad at guessing wind speed) just helps keep it dead straight even longer.

Hopefully we'll get to play some golf in a couple weeks and you can throw them if you like.

I've got 3 of them I picked up from Further or Solt (can't remember). One is only slightly worn and the other two new. Dunno if they are P or S (they have the Freak stamp). 166g. Perfect for me, but I have so many discs in what I consider the 300'-350' range (anything over midrange and below wraith), that I'm not sure what will give me my best chance for success.

Where do folks think it fits on the speed scale? People say faster teebird, how much faster?