• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

Threw a PD for the first time yesterday(173 P-PD with the Freak stamp). I liked it I just don't really have a spot for it in the bag (not overstable enough to replace a firebird and too fast for a fairway driver. I can get my teebirds out there pretty good so I have no use for a disc between that and a destroyer). I'd put it at about a speed 9 or 10. Like a more overstable orion LF. I really liked the pro plastic it was made out of. I did have trouble controlling the fade. Sometimes it would fly dead straight and with a nice hyzer finish like a faster tb, others it acted more like a firebird. I think i'd like this thing to be really beat up.

black udder said:
I've got 3 of them I picked up from Further or Solt (can't remember). One is only slightly worn and the other two new. Dunno if they are P or S (they have the Freak stamp). 166g. Perfect for me, but I have so many discs in what I consider the 300'-350' range (anything over midrange and below wraith), that I'm not sure what will give me my best chance for success.

Where do folks think it fits on the speed scale? People say faster teebird, how much faster?
Honestly, I'm throwing it for the fun of it. I think it is a very consistent disc and it only goes a bit farther than a Teebird. I have all my Teebirds in the truck and they could eventually get back in the bag. I don't see much use in carrying both as the PD goes maybe 15' farther if I remember correctly when I threw them together.

If the Pro Starfire-X is really on the way I could definately see myself dropping the PD for my Teebirds and adding a Champ/Star SF-X and a couple Pros to beat in. That would be a much better curve between Rocs and Wraiths IMHO.

Wizard ->Roc -> Teebird/Firebird -> SF-X/Roadrunner - Wraith

I can't think up a shot that bag couldn't pull off.

Played a doubles tournament yesterday, and I had to explain what the PD was about a dozen times.

"Wow, my Boss doesn't usually flip like that in a headwind. What did you throw?"
"I don't have a disc that can stay that low and straight that long. What was that?"
"My Xcal doesn't hyzer flip like that at all. What did you throw again?"

I was working the seasoned S/newish P/seasoned P trifecta all day. The seasoned P is almost the longest disc in my bag, but still extremely controllable in accuracy and speed ranges. I love powering down on it and throwing a low laser beam hyzer flip.

I get asked ALL THE TIME what my Power Driver is. I typically say the best disc Innova has made in a long time.

Furthur said:
I get asked ALL THE TIME what my Power Driver is. I typically say the best disc Innova has made in a long time.
So much easier to say that...nobody knows what Discmania is around her. I just say "faster Teebird that Innova makes for another company" when people ask what it was/is.

ferretdance03 said:
I was working the seasoned S/newish P/seasoned P trifecta all day. The seasoned P is almost the longest disc in my bag, but still extremely controllable in accuracy and speed ranges. I love powering down on it and throwing a low laser beam hyzer flip.

I just picked a max weight S up in a trade, and I like how it throws, but my bag's mostly teebirds and orcs up at that end. It sounds like those 3 make teebirds redundant and also sidles up pretty close to an orc for controlled distance (and maybe even better in wind). Would you say it could replace both?

jnecessary said:
Furthur said:
So much easier to say that...nobody knows what Discmania is around her. I just say "faster Teebird that Innova makes for another company" when people ask what it was/is.

I use that one too. I let Mike Murphy (old Gateway sponsored guy) throw one. Mike has a cannon for an arm (400+ Roc type of guy), and he said it's the best disc he's thrown since a Teebizzle.

chiggins said:
ferretdance03 said:

I just picked a max weight S up in a trade, and I like how it throws, but my bag's mostly teebirds and orcs up at that end. It sounds like those 3 make teebirds redundant and also sidles up pretty close to an orc for controlled distance (and maybe even better in wind). Would you say it could replace both?

I think it replaces a lot of stuff. As far as speed goes, I go Cyclone (6), PD (9.5), Boss (13) with my drivers. When dgdave had the PD in the bag, I think he left the slower driver out and powered down on a PD (which is very easy to do, especially with a broken in P).

Furthur said:
chiggins said:
ferretdance03 said:

I think it replaces a lot of stuff. As far as speed goes, I go Cyclone (6), PD (9.5), Boss (13) with my drivers. When dgdave had the PD in the bag, I think he left the slower driver out and powered down on a PD (which is very easy to do, especially with a broken in P).

I put them back in. Boredom does bad things to ones mind. I may keep a Z Avenger in the bag since a champ PD isn't happening.

Have you entertained the idea of getting something between your Comets and PDs yet? I saw you had thrown a Stalker recently, and I know you had wanted an ESP Cyclone.

I'm liking the stalker. I got a ESP Cyclone and didn't care for it. I just added Buzzzs and those are also filling that role nicely

A lot of people around here are adding the Stalker to their bag. It gets my seal of approval, but I think the disc missing from most people's bag is that slower driver.

I prefer the Cyclone, but probably because I have a stack of TPs. Maybe once I've lost all of them, the Stalker may make it in the bag.

I had some good throws with it recently at a tournament, but the conclusion I'm coming to is that it's not a disc like no other. It's just another disc. It does the straight, then fade gig real well, but several other discs do that fairly well, also. I can see it getting some use from players if it ever gets some good visibility to players.

Furthur said:
A lot of people around here are adding the Stalker to their bag. It gets my seal of approval, but I think the disc missing from most people's bag is that slower driver.

I prefer the Cyclone, but probably because I have a stack of TPs. Maybe once I've lost all of them, the Stalker may make it in the bag.

I'm not 100% sold on the stalker. If I had some TP Cyclones, I would toss those, but I don't feel like hunting them down. I also am not huge on the Gazelle. The Buzz is close. I may put a teebird back in.

dgdave said:
Furthur said:

I'm not 100% sold on the stalker. If I had some TP Cyclones, I would toss those, but I don't feel like hunting them down. I also am not huge on the Gazelle. The Buzz is close. I may put a teebird back in.
id say go back to the birds......you know its inevitable. then swap your PD for SX to lessen overlap and you'll be a happy man (ive really been digging the SX lately for the tweener slot, cant wait to try a pro)

Just messed with one again. I like the slower speed and extra glide on the PD. I do want to try a pro SFX though.