• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Uncle B's Bag

BentElbow11 said:
Old school vs new school...personally, I'd choose the Fuse, but only Opto. Heavier Z Comets are pretty sweet though.

How do opto Fuses compare to gold line? My gold line is pretty understable, slightly more than my Z Meteor and quite a bit more understable than an M4. I didn't know Fuses even came in opto but I'd be interested in checking one out.

JTdisc said:
BentElbow11 said:
Old school vs new school...personally, I'd choose the Fuse, but only Opto. Heavier Z Comets are pretty sweet though.

How do opto Fuses compare to gold line? My gold line is pretty understable, slightly more than my Z Meteor and quite a bit more understable than an M4. I didn't know Fuses even came in opto but I'd be interested in checking one out.

Less understable, slightly better in the wind, more durable plastic. I started out with a GL, and switched to Opto awhile back. I like the Opto better from a control perspective, you can even throw it on fade shots in calm conditions. And the awesome glide is still there.

Right now I'm using a Super Stingray in its place. It's similar but a little straighter overall.

BentElbow11 said:
JTdisc said:
BentElbow11 said:

Less understable, slightly better in the wind, more durable plastic. I started out with a GL, and switched to Opto awhile back. I like the Opto better from a control perspective, you can even throw it on fade shots in calm conditions. And the awesome glide is still there.

Right now I'm using a Super Stingray in its place. It's similar but a little straighter overall.

Yeah what he said.

I have a RL that is a lot like GL and it is a little more understable. My Opto is sweet though. It's a lot like a Z Comet. If I had a bag full of Opto Fuse's and Z Comets I would still play a full round of disc golf. :D

Too much glide can be a curse in the case of the Fuse. Crosswinds can play havoc with it, getting under the wing and flipping it, left or right. That happens, and what looked like an approach shot on a beeline for the basket can sail away in either direction and wind up 20-30 away. Ranging the Fuse properly is also a problem because of the extra glide.

I replaced my Opto Fuse with a Super Stingray which I find to be much easier to control and better in any kind of wind. Love the Gauge, and that could be my eventual "go-to" neutral mid, but not until it's released in Pinnacle. I throw a Z Wasp in the OS role and I don't like going back and forth between that plastic feel and the soft tacky Icon of the Gauge.

FWIW...

Yeah crosswinds kills my Fuses,but my Comets handle them better. I think it's because of the Bead. The comets don't go as far,but I seem to be more accurate with them. The Fuses are in the bag right now just because I can throw them a bit lower and they go about 15ft farther.

Still though I go back and forth between my Comets and Fuse's that it's not even funny. Two of my favorite molds...next to the Truth of course. :lol:

Yeah, the Comet is more stable and not as fast. I agree about the bead, good old fashioned stabilizing effect. Drivers used to have small ones, or what they call notches. But, not any more. The last one I saw come out with any kind of bead/notch was the Hurricane.

When the Fuse flips, it goes! Me no likey that aspect of the Fuse. Right, thrown low the Fuse excels.

BentElbow11 said:
Yeah, the Comet is more stable and not as fast. I agree about the bead, good old fashioned stabilizing effect. Drivers used to have small ones, or what they call notches. But, not any more. The last one I saw come out with any kind of bead/notch was the Hurricane.

When the Fuse flips, it goes! Me no likey that aspect of the Fuse. Right, thrown low the Fuse excels.

Yeah all the guys I play with are amazed with how much distance I can get with the Fuse. On holes they are throwing Drivers I'm crankin on my Fuse. :D

UncleBrother2001 said:
BentElbow11 said:

Yeah all the guys I play with are amazed with how much distance I can get with the Fuse. On holes they are throwing Drivers I'm crankin on my Fuse. :D

I remember when we were playing a Lake Tahoe mountain course and my brother threw his GL Fuse on a long downhill hole. A crosswind caught it and it flipped and then just took off towards the left. We were all laughing while watching it disappear from view. Turns out the thing was WAY down the side of the mountain and it took him 3 throws to get back up. He was still down the side of the mountain while the rest of us were walking up to the basket. When one of us asked if he had thrown yet, another said "he's still throwing". I asked him what the hell he was throwing the Fuse for on a 430 ft hole. It was downhill and he thought he could just glide the Fuse straight down the chute. Oh, it glided alright, LOL!

BentElbow11 said:
UncleBrother2001 said:
BentElbow11 said:

I remember when we were playing a Lake Tahoe mountain course and my brother threw his GL Fuse on a long downhill hole. A crosswind caught it and it flipped and then just took off towards the left. We were all laughing while watching it disappear from view. Turns out the thing was WAY down the side of the mountain and it took him 3 throws to get back up. He was still down the side of the mountain while the rest of us were walking up to the basket. When one of us asked if he had thrown yet, another said "he's still throwing". I asked him what the hell he was throwing the Fuse for on a 430 ft hole. It was downhill and he thought he could just glide the Fuse straight down the chute. Oh, it glided alright, LOL!

That's funny right there man. :D

going to be trying something different today at the short course. Gonna throw my Rocs in with my Truth. Have the Truth in there for Distance Midrange and the Rocs for more Multipurpose Mid-Range Shots since they are shorter than the Truth. this could be fun :D

The Truth should handle any approach shot, from straight to fade to anhyzer. But it's always good to also have a wind fighting OS mid in the bag too. Your Zone might fit that bill though.

Have you considered a Tangent at all? It's the straightest of the straight, IMO. Even in breezy conditions. Could compliment your Truth for shorter approach. Looks and flies like a putter, but not as deep a design and a little faster than putters. Neutron offers better grip than Proton...both fly the same. Thing I like the most about the Tangent is it lands flat, like a putter.

BentElbow11 said:
The Truth should handle any approach shot, from straight to fade to anhyzer. But it's always good to also have a wind fighting OS mid in the bag too. Your Zone might fit that bill though.

Have you considered a Tangent at all? It's the straightest of the straight, IMO. Even in breezy conditions. Could compliment your Truth for shorter approach. Looks and flies like a putter, but not as deep a design and a little faster than putters. Neutron offers better grip than Proton...both fly the same. Thing I like the most about the Tangent is it lands flat, like a putter.

I tried MVP's Anode once and it was cool,but after that I went back to Wizards. It is pretty neat they are coming out with Distance Drivers now. It's been a long time coming for them as I've watched them make more and more leaps in different drivers.

Oh and I've never tried a Tangent before or even thought about one. The disc golf shop does have a few rows of MVP stuff. I always look over it though.

Me and the guys were out the other day and the Truth and Rocs will work good together. The Truth goes about 330ft average for me and the Rocs are about 310ft,sometimes a bit further if I hit it right. Also the Rocs are more on a rope where the Truth has a bit of Turn before it goes back into it's fade. The Rocs I have are all KC Pro's. 3 of them going from flippy to a pretty good fade.

Funny story the only reason I put em in the bag again is because my Buddy was curious how they flew by someone who has a pretty decent arm. So I had to show him. Slowly and Slowly I kept thinking in my head man I need to put these in the bag again,there was a reason they were in the bag for so long.Out of about 20 shots with them I have had just 2 bad ones.

Hey the one guy is ready to move up to some more stable stuff. The winds have been pretty nuts around here as of late so I feel an Eagle or a Teebird would be good choices for Headwinds. The reason I chose those two is he is doing the 150 bag and I'm pretty sure both them molds have 150 weights. I'm kinda tired so my brain ain't working 100% :lol:

UncleBrother2001 said:
BentElbow11 said:
Hey the one guy is ready to move up to some more stable stuff. The winds have been pretty nuts around here as of late so I feel an Eagle or a Teebird would be good choices for Headwinds. The reason I chose those two is he is doing the 150 bag and I'm pretty sure both them molds have 150 weights. I'm kinda tired so my brain ain't working 100% :lol:

If you're able to find a 150-class S-PD, take it. It's a much better windfighter than an Eagle at those low weights. I loved the one I had. I was stupid to go and sell it when I decided to switch to max weight discs.

UncleBrother2001 said:
BentElbow11 said:

I tried MVP's Anode once and it was cool,but after that I went back to Wizards. It is pretty neat they are coming out with Distance Drivers now. It's been a long time coming for them as I've watched them make more and more leaps in different drivers.

Oh and I've never tried a Tangent before or even thought about one. The disc golf shop does have a few rows of MVP stuff. I always look over it though.

Me and the guys were out the other day and the Truth and Rocs will work good together. The Truth goes about 330ft average for me and the Rocs are about 310ft,sometimes a bit further if I hit it right. Also the Rocs are more on a rope where the Truth has a bit of Turn before it goes back into it's fade. The Rocs I have are all KC Pro's. 3 of them going from flippy to a pretty good fade.

Funny story the only reason I put em in the bag again is because my Buddy was curious how they flew by someone who has a pretty decent arm. So I had to show him. Slowly and Slowly I kept thinking in my head man I need to put these in the bag again,there was a reason they were in the bag for so long.Out of about 20 shots with them I have had just 2 bad ones.

Makes sense.

I liked the Anode too, but decided I like my SS Voodoos even better.

Maybe keep the Tangent in mind...

Eagles don't come in 150 class in champ, IIRC...and you don't want DX because it won't have the stability to begin with. Teebirds come in 150's in champ, but you lose some wind fighting capability at 150gish for sure.

Heavy Tangents are the shit as long as slickness is not a problem. It is the best MVP disc that i have tried. In 150 pds are great.

BentElbow11 said:
UncleBrother2001 said:
BentElbow11 said:
Eagles don't come in 150 class in champ, IIRC...and you don't want DX because it won't have the stability to begin with. Teebirds come in 150's in champ, but you lose some wind fighting capability at 150gish for sure.

Low weight Champ Eagle-L does exist, but they're not stable enough for headwind. 150-class Star Eagle-X is pretty common. Still, I recommend the S-PD in 150-class.

slowarm said:
BentElbow11 said:
UncleBrother2001 said:
BentElbow11 said:

Low weight Champ Eagle-L does exist, but they're not stable enough for headwind. 150-class Star Eagle-X is pretty common. Still, I recommend the S-PD in 150-class.

Eagle L's, okay. Re PD, depends on if you want a true FW driver or a higher speed driver, I suppose. Champ Teebirds in 150's weights should be more workable at shorter distances than a PD.

JR said:
Heavy Tangents are the shit as long as slickness is not a problem. It is the best MVP disc that i have tried. In 150 pds are great.

Proton is slick, Neutron is the opposite and feels like GL grip-wise to me.

Uncle, if you do you'll be blown away by how dead straight the Tangent is, start to finish. I haven't seen another mid like it. Perfectly straight, lands flat. 100 ft to 300 ft, soft throw or power throw....STRAIGHT. It's straighter than most putters, even my Opto Pure and Anode. And only strong winds will affect it.

Latest posts