• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Holy crap.... Finished a round earlier today and wanted to throw my new discs a few more times. I got a soft ridge and a medium OLace for christmas and have been loving tossing these two.

I went back to throw hole 1 a few times before I left and the first toss I hit chains at 300' with my new olace. It was a freaking beautiful forehand drive. Two guys were warming up on the practice pad and prolly thought I was crazy when I about screamed like a little girl thinking it had stuck right before it chained out. I immediately left as I felt that was a good end to the day. Lol.

Any way, all that to say I'm starting to love the feel of rubber over most of all my other discs. I love trying new disc companies but it's hard to want to throw others when Vibram feels so good in the hand. Especially in this cold/wet nastiness that's going on. I'm in Georgia so it's not as cold as some other places, but it still feels way better than other plastic in my bag.

Is there a way to make my soft summit not feel so slick? I have had it almost 2 years and it is starting to feel pretty slick, almost like it is collecting oil from my skin or something.

It is still grippy enough to throw fine it is just at the point of being an annoyance. My mediums are kind of getting the same way with age but not nearly as much as my soft is.

I have 4...i'm only slightly addicted. But i use the summit as my putting putter.

But I do have trouble deciding between the ridge and the sole.

I think the sole and the ridge are pretty similar in flight, but the sole definitely has a taller rim and slightly domey flight plate. The ridge just feels a lot more comfortable in my hand, closer to the feel of the summit. The only two soles I own now are hanging on the wall.....maybe someday they'll get tossed.

I think I'm up to around 20 summits now. They are my biggest vice when it comes to buying discs:D

I think the sole and the ridge are pretty similar in flight, but the sole definitely has a taller rim and slightly domey flight plate. The ridge just feels a lot more comfortable in my hand, closer to the feel of the summit. The only two soles I own now are hanging on the wall.....maybe someday they'll get tossed.

I think I'm up to around 20 summits now. They are my biggest vice when it comes to buying discs:D

I agree. The Ridge and Sole are definitely both slightly overstable. You should definitely take those Soles off your wall and throw them though because they have so much more glide than the Ridge. I get sweet distance of the tee with them. Great for approaches too.

I'd say they only have more glide than a brand new ridge. My beat ones out drive any sole I have. Love the ridge! Bagged both for awhile but there is nothing the sole will do the ridge won't and it has a more comfortable profile.

you really can't match vibram's grip unless you go base plastic, end of story IMO.

It might just be my skin type but my Vibram's feel slicker than any plastic in my bag. The Lace and unLace have the rubber grip I was expecting but my Ibex, Obex, and Summit are slick.

Is there a release agent on the disc that is causing this? I tried washing them with soap and hot water but it didn't make a difference.

It might just be my skin type but my Vibram's feel slicker than any plastic in my bag. The Lace and unLace have the rubber grip I was expecting but my Ibex, Obex, and Summit are slick.

Is there a release agent on the disc that is causing this? I tried washing them with soap and hot water but it didn't make a difference.

Yes and yes. My skin gets very dry and at times I can barely grip a disc doesn't matter what plastic or rubber. The latest blend of rubber seems to be in the distance drivers only at this point, the lace variants all have awesome texture. Sometimes I'll take a 320 fine sanding sponge and rough it up a bit, that usually gets a trippy texture to the surface. The release agent doesn't seem to be a factor anymore.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say they lack glide but fly unique for sure. Different speed might be a better way to put it like comparing beat DX vs fresh champion plastics. Different flights due to surface resistance across stiffness/textures.

I agree with Aim for the chains, its not really lack of glide, some Vibram molds just don't float through their fade. They more or less take their desired path forward and sit at their destination. This is just how I perceive the flight. I would think snap would inherently make a disc glide better but it seems a Vibram disc gets a greater increase to its glide with snap against the same comparison of spin to speed to a plastic disc. Just all speculation but I definitely have noticed quite a few things different between plastic and rubber the past 2 years.

And the glide of the disc is one of the best things in disc golf. Not sure anymore if I'll try Vibram. It was hard enough to get a permission to buy an used VIP Pursi for 9€, lol - so not possible for me to try every disc out there. :D

I used to bag all latitude and westside discs and I'll say that having all that glide is more of a curse than a blessing. I loved the easy distance but the lack of control was an annoyance at times. Still bag the euro discs but if I'm going for placement its all Vibram.

For instance that warship you picked up was my main mid for awhile, sadly it was overshadowed by the ibex. They felt very similar had close to the same glide(warship being more so), but the warship I could only finesse to get the same lines as my ibex. The ibex I could finesse the same lines as the warship or power through them and get the same results as well as not flipping over from power. The only downside the ibex couldn't hyzer turnover for distance like the warship.

And the glide of the disc is one of the best things in disc golf. Not sure anymore if I'll try Vibram. It was hard enough to get a permission to buy an used VIP Pursi for 9€, lol - so not possible for me to try every disc out there. :D

i agree, however the unique characteristics of ridge and VP - that "hit and sit" type flight - make them fantastic putt and approach discs, IMO. i love the summit too.

i hear you, though! not made out of money over here, that's for sure.

they also all generally have a pretty solid HSS in the putters (except summit) which being understable does seem to have more "glide" than their stable to OS molds. Ridges and VP's specially are very HSS but not the longest of putters ive thrown like pure or ions.

I agree somewhat with the glide theory, but I think that's dependent on the disc. When I first got my Lace I wondered if that thing was ever going to fall from the sky. It seemed to just float there. My Olace still has great glide, but not as much as the regular lace. The lace seems to glide out and die where as the olace has a more forward fade. I think this is more due to the over-stability of the disc. And as for the ridge, that thing barely has any glide at all. Maybe my form sucks, but I really gotta get on that thing if I want any distance off the tee.

I really want a nice straight fairway driver. There are several holes at my home course that are just out of my distance and control for a midrange, but the holes are very 'tunnelish'. I gave in and picked up an F5 at my local shop because I've been wanting to give a prodigy disc a try, BUT... anyone here have some good experience with the Trak? I've read that it's like a shorter Lace. Does anyone find this true? That makes me slightly nervous only because my lace became very flippy very fast. It's a great hyper flip to turnover disc for me now, but I think I shoulda gone with a max weight medium as opposed to a 168 firm. If I release it flat that sucker becomes an instant roller. And throw it forehand? Forget it. I just couldn't turn down the sexy rubber lol.

Just for reference I max out 450 more around 400 for 'golf lines' with drivers. I say with drivers because I've found that the wider rim is much more comfortable and I guess that's what they're made for :p . I'm 6'5" and have fairly large hands so drivers just feel better in the hand. I've been experimenting a lot more with mids and putters off the tee, but I've been grip locking those things pretty bad as of late for anything over 250'.

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback!

Latest posts