• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Same here.

However you said that it flopped when you putted and that's a form issue that can be fixed.

Ah, that. Gotcha. I push putt mostly. Hurts me a little to spin putt all day plus I like a little more finesse and control. I putted OK for about 5/8 of the round I used it in, but certain situations it did poorly. IIRC, it was on longer putts. When I brought it up high with speed to put some loft into the flight, the plate would bend down, stay down and it always ended up way short. That was my issue. Do it with my med Soles and its magic. Maybe that could be fixed, but I like the med Sole best as a putter.

Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable with the sloppyness on touch approaches or forehands, so I guess I will still keep Colt. For full power drives the sloppyness doesn't seem to be so big problem. The softness also renders Ridge useless for me as a putting putter. It feels great in hand but the results look like dying butterfly.

I can't speak to forehands. I've never had an issue with the X-Link soft on touch approaches or any other throw. I decided not to use the Ridge as a replacement for my Omegas because it doesn't glide well enough on long putts, otherwise it'd be my putter of choice now. I never had any issues with my soft Ridge fluttering on any putts or approaches; I also don't have any such issues with my soft Ibex.

Took my new Arch and replacement Valley out today. Decided to throw both of them off the tee on every hole--both to break the discs in and to see how they fly. Whether I wanted a bit of left turn or right turn or straight, I threw both to see what they'd do.

I now think the first Valley I had was a lemon. This one, out of the box, flies like my son's Valley did for me, which is the expected flight characteristics as shown on the disc. I think I've found the replacement for the Eclipse in my bag. I was quite happy with the way it handled.

The Arch carried much the same distance and always ended up to the left of the Valley, which is to be expected from a disc that's a bit more stable. I didn't drive straight into any gusts (is windy here), though I did throw into a bit of headwind and it still finished with a fade and never turned over in the breeze. (For that matter, the Valley did slide right much more noticeably into the wind, though still had a bit of fade at the end.)

I've a Vamp on order at the Dynamic Discs store. If I'm as happy with that as with these two, I could end up with all my fairway drivers being rubber.

As far as glow, Vibram has decided to postpone it. Hopefully not too late but it wont be out at the same time as last year. They are trying to get the production more streamlined so the price is lower and that they are available longer. All of the discs sold out within three days last year.

Postpone? I've been sitting here checking the Glow page every hour on the hour waiting on them to pop up. Where did you hear that piece of news?

Here is what Vibram said in their latest retailer email. Unlike every other MFG out there Vibram tends to let their retailers know things before the general public :D I imagine this is ok to share. The thing to note is that all retailers should have them this time since they should be offered at wholesale finally.

Glow Discs Delayed
As you probably know, it is time for X-Link Glow to be manufactured. In the past, we have been unable to sell these at wholesale pricing to retailers. This year, we are trying to bring down the cost (while maintaining or improving the glow of the discs) so that we can sell them to retailers.

This process is taking more time than anticipated. I am sad to say that X-Link Glow will not be available until at least November. We will continue to work diligently to make sure we make glow available as soon as possible as the days get shorter and shorter. Stay tuned.

Here is what Vibram said in their latest retailer email. Unlike every other MFG out there Vibram tends to let their retailers know things before the general public :D I imagine this is ok to share. The thing to note is that all retailers should have them this time since they should be offered at wholesale finally.

Glow Discs Delayed
As you probably know, it is time for X-Link Glow to be manufactured. In the past, we have been unable to sell these at wholesale pricing to retailers. This year, we are trying to bring down the cost (while maintaining or improving the glow of the discs) so that we can sell them to retailers.

This process is taking more time than anticipated. I am sad to say that X-Link Glow will not be available until at least November. We will continue to work diligently to make sure we make glow available as soon as possible as the days get shorter and shorter. Stay tuned.

Yup. Safe to share. That said, they said AT LEAST November so that is safe to say they are running it but want to have a big enough pile that they can send out to wholesalers that want it. I know that I would love to have it at a cheaper price but the quality is awesome so I don't mind paying a little more for them.

I wish we could finally get some glow colors too! Seeing those have been awesome.

Have to agree with Soft being teaching material. I wrote earlier that I putted really poorly with soft Ridge, but after giving it just a little bit time, I finally learned to follow through properly which caused the soft disc to fly longer, faster and with much less wobble.

Has anyone heard whether or not the new fairways will be included in the soft this year? Its not listed on the site at all as an option yet, so it got me wondering. Any clues? hints?

Has anyone heard whether or not the new fairways will be included in the soft this year? Its not listed on the site at all as an option yet, so it got me wondering. Any clues? hints?

Softs will be run year round now. So, if they don't have them now (which with glow being the priority right now) they will have them soon enough. I'd imagine it would be rather soon. Likely by December.

Tried a light(er) weight VP yet?

Recently, I had a bag stolen, so it was a fluke that I got a lightweight VP (168 medium) from my friend's VBB player's pack, but I've used it all summer, and I am happy with it.

The VP has been my main putter for about two years or so. The 168 medium VP seems to be quite a bit straighter than heavier VPs, particularly at the end of its flight, so I find that it's very predictable.

My putting style is spin-putting 95% of the time. What I used to do with heavier VPs (mid-170s firms) was try to give it just enough power to make it to the basket, and then have it fade into chains. This worked incredibly well for a long-time, and it also helped improve my approaches, because if I missed running the basket, then the VP wouldn't be too far from the basket.

Wondering if anyone has tried lighter weights in their putters of choice? Presumably the more stable putters, e.g. Ridge and VP respectively, would have straighter flight characteristics/more glide in lighter weights, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Also, I think Vibram in general gives different flight characteristics in different weights, but I don't know if science can validate that observation.

I've used a 164 Ridge for a good while as an approach thrower just for its super straight flight. I've thrown a 158 Ridge too and its like a heavy Sole.

The different weights certainly change flight and so does the material you use. I have a crazy spread of discs in weights and densities that all have small variances in flight.

I wouldn't call 168g a light weight. Most of what I throw is lighter than that and I don't consider any of it light weight. Below 160g is what I think of as light weight.

When I was auditioning the Ridge, I had a Medium and a Soft at 165g. They both flew straight--and I putt with that intent, that the disc fly straight into the chains without fading (except on loooong putts). I live in Kansastan and play a lot when I visit my hometown in Iowa, too, so I can say that I play in lots of wind--and 165g doesn't handle any worse for me than the 174g Omega that I've been putting with for 20 years. (The lack of glide on the Ridge is why it didn't replace the Omega in my bag.)

I putt normally with a 174/175M Sole. Lately, I have been using a 164M when I am over 30' away and it is making a difference. No real discernible flight difference.....other than the fact it will go in the basket as opposed to dropping right in front of it. :hfive:

Vamp?

Any reviews yet? I would think that the rounded edge would lend itself to rollers. The unlace doesn't stay on a roller (too top heavy?).

I've heard that people were surprised by how it fades a little at the end of its flight. The Valley surprised us by being a little bit more stable than we thought it would be originally. Well, that's because the Vamp was going to fill that understable slot a few months later. Now, I'm thinking that the Vamp isn't going to be quite as understable as advertised. I think Steve is learning to release discs with some stability for the more experienced players. Both the Trak and Ascent suffered from criticism that they weren't overstable or stable enough...

Why would anybody be surprised that a disc fades a bit at the end of its flight? Most every disc model has a degree of fade designed in. Even the unLace, as understable as it is, is intended to fade at the end. The stable-neutral models (Aero, Mako, etc.) have next to no fade, and the understable-neutral designs (Wombat, Foxbat) have essentially no fade. All the rest can be expected to have noticeable fade.

And I expected the Vamp to be only slightly understable, as the Onyx is in the pipeline. The flight chart on the web site shows the Onyx to be the solidly understable fairway driver in the lineup, with the Vamp between the Valley and Onyx.

http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/flight-ratings.html

Last edited: