• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I'm going to try and score some in Glovember. What molds should I try? Thinking Solace, Arch, Valley and Obex look good?

I'm going to try and score some in Glovember. What molds should I try? Thinking Solace, Arch, Valley and Obex look good?

I think all the Vibram molds are really good, but whatever you think will fill holes in your bag. Recently, I picked up the Notch for the overstable fairway slot.

Love the unlace, literally my go to driver, but hate both the Ibex and Obex. Both seem to have zero glide and be silly nose angle sensitive for mids. Anyone else like the drivers but not mids?

I've never gotten along with the Obex. The Ibex and I have a love/hate relationship. But that is generally true of all mids with me.

The only mid-range disc I usually need is a Ridge! :D

Oh yeah, I work well with the Unlace too! And the new fairway drivers are shaping up to be sweet!

I've never gotten along with the Obex. The Ibex and I have a love/hate relationship. But that is generally true of all mids with me.

The only mid-range disc I usually need is a Ridge! :D

Oh yeah, I work well with the Unlace too! And the new fairway drivers are shaping up to be sweet!

Almost the same here, I am 99% more likely to use my Summit off the tee than I ever would an Obex or Ibex.

The only real use I have for an Obex is as a putter during a Birdie Bash, No real use for an Ibex at all.

The only complaint I had about this year's VBB World Championship was the IBEX, IMO, being forced on players. It was listed as a commemorative IBEX on DGscene registration for the event, but when we got there, they were stock IBEXes. One player asked about it being a commemorative disc and Steve Dodge signed his to make it so.

I have the opposite opinion. I generally use the Ibex off the box, and only recently with the Arch have started throwing more drivers into the mix. Generally speaking, anything under 300, I throw the Ibex on. I rarely use my Obex, but I still carry two just in case. I only ever throw the Lace or O-Lace when it is a 400'+ hole with minimal tree activity in the fairway.

2 questions. 1 what is Vibram XL, and which one is the most over stable putter?

VP is the most OS.

XL is just the short name for XLink which is the rubber compound they use. On top of that, there is XL Soft, XL Medium and XL Firm. Then, the special versions are XL Glow, which some refer to it as xrta long glow, and XL Float.

Almost the same here, I am 99% more likely to use my Summit off the tee than I ever would an Obex or Ibex.

The only real use I have for an Obex is as a putter during a Birdie Bash, No real use for an Ibex at all.

The only complaint I had about this year's VBB World Championship was the IBEX, IMO, being forced on players. It was listed as a commemorative IBEX on DGscene registration for the event, but when we got there, they were stock IBEXes. One player asked about it being a commemorative disc and Steve Dodge signed his to make it so.

I'd say the Ibex is their best disc, because it plays well for the widest range of players. It is fairly nose-angle sensitive, but for those who are accustomed to using good form it really shines.

Can't wait for Glovember. Planning on picking up an O-Lace, Lace, Trak, Ibex, and 1 or 2 Ridges, since Dynamic can't be bothered with Moonshine Judges.

I noticed that the SO-Lace isn't on Vibrams webpage anymore. Have they discontinued that disc?

Has anyone let loose a release date for the Glow yet? I've been on the road a lot and am trying to catch up.

Assuming you mean last years? Don't think mine shipped then, maybe a day later though. HD meltdown prevents me from finding anything out from then.:\

Yea, last years. Its usually a month between the release of soft and glow. This years soft came out about a week and a half ago. Time it from there. :D

I have an 85% Vibram bag and I throw the Ibex off the tee more than any of the other molds. For me... dead straight to 275-300 feet. Can't beat that for consistent golf. I use the Obex in the same situations when I have a headwind of more than 10mph.

I will severely miss the Ascent. It's still my driver of choice when I need one. I'm getting used to the Arch, but I don't know why Vibram would discontinue such a good disc.

So do you buy them on the Vibram site? I want a notch and solace.

I bought my first Vibram discs about a year ago, Soft, Medium and Firm Summits. I really liked the flight of the disc and the shape of the mold, but I was bit dissapointed the grip. Medium and Firm Summits felt pretty identical, firm and slightly slippery, not tacky at all, more like Star or some other traditional premium plastic. Soft Summit had more grip, but although I liked the sloppiness when driving with power grip, touch shots with fan grip felt bit weird. Still, I used it whole winter and spring before switching to 300S PA4.

Last spring I also bought Ibex in Soft, and it flew longer than any other midrange I have owned. But it felt quite sensitive to my poor form, sometimes making small s turn, going dead straight or fading hard. So it didn't stay in the bag.

But last week I decided to give Vibram another change as I was looking something like stabler XT Colt. There is only one online shop in Finland which sells Vibram, so there wasn't that much options, but I ended up buying Soft VP and Soft Unlace.

And wow, the plastic feels completely different than in my old Summit. I actually picked up my Ibex from storage and it too feels different than Summit. Summit feels quite slippery like Firm and Medium, whereas these other Softs are super tacky. I now wonder if the Summit was originally like these as well but got more slippery somehow, and if my new discs are going to lose the tackyness as well? I tried to wash the Summit, and when it was but damp it felt much more tacky but now that it dried up it is slippery again.

I haven't had a change to test Unlace yet, but I threw VP few times on yard. Clearly OS, but still goes forward. Feels very good in hand, I think it is bit too stable for what I was looking for my winter bag (single driving putter and fairway driver) , so I am now entertaining the idea of grabbing Soft Ridge as well.