• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

These discs can dry rot?

With your profile picture everything you write, I read as angry screaming.

THESE DISCS CAN DRY ROT!!??

Johnny, these discs are great, but like all discs they are only as good as the person throwing them. When Vibram first started making discs, many people just thought they were a gimmick, just like people think MVP is a gimmick with the gyro technology. Now, Vibram Discs have proven that they can glide like plastic, grip better, and remain flight consistent for much longer.

Check out the lace and obex reviews on allthingsdiscgolf http://allthingsdiscgolf.com/category/reviews/page/4/, and see that this company is not just a surprise, but a growing and true alternative to other disc companies.

Just take it slow, pick up one disc, and see how it feels. I'm confident that that disc will multiply in your bag without much prodding from us. I know that's what happened to me.

Got a question for you guys. So I have a Med XLink Summit 175g that I absolutely love. I have only been throwing it for a week but it is first putter that just feels so right in my hand. Probably due to the shallow rim. Anyways, I was trying to order another but I wanted someone to break down the soft and firm rubbers (not those kind... :p). Does the general feel of the disc stay the same and only the actual flexibility change? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, what a lively day in Vibram-land....
:\

jch,
Soft is soft, can taco it and it springs back into shape. I've noticed the lids seem 'thin' in the lighter weight runs. I use a soft Ibex and Obex for approaches (and sometimes even putting) when I need the disc to hit and sit. No skip, little roll possibility. A must for cliff shots or side-of-hill baskets where huge rolls are a risk. The hotter the temp outside, the softer it gets.

Firm is firm, more like plastic in firmness but still better grip on it. In high temps, they become softer but not to the medium feel. They'll break in faster then mediums and the soft...well I'm not sure if it changes at all. Of course all this depends on the temps and conditions you play in. There is a noticeable difference in firmness and flexibility from 70 degrees to 95+ degrees.

As for feel, yes there is a difference. The firms are a tad bit slicker (not like plastic though), but they get more tacky the higher the temp. You can also wash them regularly to regain the tackiness each type of rubber has when first run.

I'm sure someone else can chime in with more info or to set me straight.

Hempies nailed it.

But I will note that I have found a dirty, slightly muddy Vibram to be super grippy (as much or more so than a washed one) and I've also never noticed any of my Vibrams to lose their grip (and this includes discs that have been used for close to a year now). That's just my experience though.

Oh, another note: Newer run firms seem slightly grippier/less slick than older runs, IMO

Hempies nailed it.

But I will note that I have found a dirty, slightly muddy Vibram to be super grippy (as much or more so than a washed one) and I've also never noticed any of my Vibrams to lose their grip (and this includes discs that have been used for close to a year now). That's just my experience though.

Oh, another note: Newer run firms seem slightly grippier/less slick than older runs, IMO

Yes they are and they are money! Love the new griptastic firms. I've said it before this is my idea of xlink fusion the soft grip with the firm density. Although I don't like the feel after a lot of dirt has built up in it, the feel brand new was great, so I wash em every so often.

Last edited:
jch,

I typically use a Summit/VP combo. The VP has a bead but is amazing for OS and windy days. Summit does not like wind (unless it's a mild tailwind). The Ridge is the stable small bead middle putter of the line-up. I have all 3 in medium at 175g. The soft Ibex/Obex combo is 173g and is a great addition for high risk shots.

Thank you all for your patience. We're on our third take and our currently testing the molds in production. (Yes, I said molds ...)

Having said that, I'm not saying that the next discs the testers see is going to be an OS Lace. It might not be a new disc at all. :)

Please tell me this means Fusion!!!

Johnny, are you a troll? I just read a post from you earlier today that read "Get a Ridge and be the happiest man alive" Haha, keep it up man ;)

Johnny, are you a troll? I just read a post from you earlier today that read "Get a Ridge and be the happiest man alive" Haha, keep it up man ;)

I dont throw them, old sport, but those who do seem to be genuinely pleased. I was simply offering advice which would provide results that have a popular consensus.

I dont throw them, old sport, but those who do seem to be genuinely pleased. I was simply offering advice which would provide results that have a popular consensus.

/threaddrift

Johnny, you amuse me. Just curious, are you also Disc Valet? I just get the feeling you are. Either way, I will continue to enjoy your hijinks.

Also, are there any unanswered Vibram questions you have, my dear old chap?

Ahh, excuse my accusation sir. Well I'd say the ridge is closer to a V.P. than a Summit. It's like a more O.S. Ion with less glide and a thinner profile. It drives like a dream and handles wind like a champ. I actually have a buddy that likes Ions but is considering making the switch.