• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I play a lot of glow golf and am interest in the vibram glow can someone break down the molds for me? I throw teebirds, fd's, rocs.

Can't speak to teebirds to fd's but I have a roc and an obex. The obex is really close to a roc for me. The only major difference is the obex doesn't hold an anny line as well for me as my rocs do.

I play a lot of glow golf and am interest in the vibram glow can someone break down the molds for me? I throw teebirds, fd's, rocs.

If your Teebirds are beat in, similar to an Arch, otherwise a Notch.
The Valley is similar to the FD.
The Roc is between an Obex and Ibex, so if you like beat in Rocs best, go with the Ibex, otherwise the Obex.

If your Teebirds are beat in, similar to an Arch, otherwise a Notch.
The Valley is similar to the FD.
The Roc is between an Obex and Ibex, so if you like beat in Rocs best, go with the Ibex, otherwise the Obex.

Oh really? Tell me more please...:popcorn:

Anyone wanna share some opinions about their favorite driving putter from Vibram? I wanna pick up a real soft upshot putter for steep terrain and don't know which putter does what.

So far, mine is a softy Ridge. I use it for all terrain. I used an Opto Pure for that slot, but the Ridge beat it handily. Not near as squirrely in the wind and more predictable....IMO.

I'd say so. I am not wailing on it power-wise, so it doesn't flip for me. Just use it to approach and short shots that don't need a lot of power. Say 180-200' and under.

Oh really? Tell me more please...:popcorn:

My primary driver has long been a Discraft Eclipse. That's now OOP, so I've been trying out lots of fairway drivers to find a replacement for it and get a good set of fairway drivers.

One of the discs I've picked up to try is an FD. I like it. It flies similar to the Eclipse, with a bit less turn and fade. It doesn't carry as long for me, though it still works well in situations where I'd throw an Eclipse.

The Valley shares similar flight characteristics. I get more glide out of the Valley than the FD, so it carries for me about the same as the Eclipse. (Note: the first Valley I bought was solidly overstable; my son's Valley and my new Valley both fly as advertised, which is like the FD.) I'm not going to carry the FD because I like the Valley better and also like the Arch, plus I expect the Vamp to provide an understable option; all Vibram fairway drivers once the Eclipses are gone.

Got in a round today where I threw both the Valley and my new Vamp off most of the tees. They appeared to be the same speed and carried similar distances. The Vamp is noticeably more understable than the Valley, though not exceptionally so--I was never worried I was going to turn it and burn it. It did turn more and fade less, so it was consistently to the right of the Valley.

On a new hole on the course--first time throwing this hole--I first threw my Arch on a hookshot to work around a tree straight down the fairway. I decided to try the Vamp straight down the middle under the limbs to see how it handled. A touch of hyzer on it, it flipped up, slid a bit to the right while flying low under the limbs, faded back a little to settle closer to the pin (about 15') than the Arch on the hookshot. I found both the line to play on the hole and the disc to do it with on that shot.

I also took a medium Ridge out to experiment with as an approach disc in windy conditions. If there's enough wind that I think my Ibex may get squirrely and a disc with less glide may work better, I've been thinking a Ridge might work. The degree of fade seems to be quite similar. I found that the Ridge does require quite a bit more oomph to carry the same distance, though it does settle more quickly, as expected. The jury's still out on this experiment.

Edit window time expired, or this would have been added to a post above.

I now have the trio of Arch, Valley, and Vamp as fairway drivers. They fly much as advertised, with the discs ending up close in distance and the Arch consistently left of the Valley and the Vamp to the right. It's more difficult to get any turnover out of the Arch, as it'll flex back quickly; it's much easier to get turnover from the Vamp and easier to hyzer-flip. I like the combination of these three--out of the box, it's like having one model of disc cycling from slightly overstable to understable.

Edit window time expired, or this would have been added to a post above.

I now have the trio of Arch, Valley, and Vamp as fairway drivers. They fly much as advertised, with the discs ending up close in distance and the Arch consistently left of the Valley and the Vamp to the right. It's more difficult to get any turnover out of the Arch, as it'll flex back quickly; it's much easier to get turnover from the Vamp and easier to hyzer-flip. I like the combination of these three--out of the box, it's like having one model of disc cycling from slightly overstable to understable.

I loved the Trak - how did they render this disc redundant?

Came to this thread to ask if anyone knew when they were going to release more glow discs. Saw someone mention they already had, went straight to the website and ordered a glow VP.
One of my buddies I play with swears by the VP and I've thrown it and love it. Plus the glow is spectacular. I'm officially a Vibram owner now!

Placed my order for a glow Ibex on Friday & it was delivered on Monday! Wow. Now that's service.

Mine came today as well. :thmbup: I seem to recall the service was top notch last year as well.

I loved the Trak - how did they render this disc redundant?

The new fairway drivers have thinner flight plates. They also glide better than the Trak. The Trak was never more than a frisky midrange for me--just didn't carry as long as other fairway drivers I carried. I'm very pleased that all three of the new fairways I have glide well and carry well.

Anyone know why Vibram added colored rims to their glow discs?

They've been trying to make glow available via retailers (it hasn't been previously since the glow compound is so expensive). They sent this email out a while back (due to the delay in the glows being available):

"Glow Discs Delayed As you probably know, it is time for X-Link Glow to be manufactured. In the past, we have been unable to sell these at wholesale pricing to retailers. This year, we are trying to bring down the cost (while maintaining or improving the glow of the discs) so that we can sell them to retailers.

This process is taking more time than anticipated. I am sad to say that X-Link Glow will not be available until at least November. We will continue to work diligently to make sure we make glow available as soon as possible as the days get shorter and shorter. Stay tuned."

Placed my order for a glow Ibex on Friday & it was delivered on Monday! Wow. Now that's service.

Hell, I ordered mine on Friday and didn't even receive notification that they had shipped until 7:30 PM yesterday...I wonder if they have multiple warehouses.