• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is this fusion you guys speak of?

Photo been removed, but I am on a mobile phone, may be able to dig one up from the dark crevasses of the Internet later. But in Jan/Feb of 2011, Steve shared a photo of a prototype Fusion disc on the official Vibram blog.

Specs were x-link firm on the underside and x-link soft on the top and rims. In short, imagine a MVP disc where the top was also covered by the black overmold. Estimated arrival was Fall 2011, but I think Steve also mentioned issues with getting the two rubbers to stay together.

When I had mine (Ridge) before it was lost to a cesspool, I remember liking it more than my regular Ridge. It had fantastic grip on top where the palm curls around the nose and the thumb digs into the plate. I remember it being flatter too, but it also had one or two "popped" bubbles where the bonding did not totally take.

I do not, however, remember exactly how it flew or how it putt. I just remember liking it more until it clipped a tree and went deep into that cesspool. Stupid me for not putting my name on it, but this is also a spot where those who go fishing never call.

I think the thought is that it would lead to a putter that's both firm and grippy. Something that Vibram is lacking in my opinion.

I guess so. My medium Ridge is grippy but semi-firm which is perfect for me since it will push the chains before it flops. I like putting with my firm Ibex for fun but it's all push and no flop.

As a lover of both Vibram and MVP discs I'm not sure that I would see the point of that.

I do... the MVP overmold thing was just an illustrative example. I would love to have something with the grip of soft Vibram rubber without its floppiness.

It'd basically be a perfect Gateway SSS/SSSS feel without the flex.

what is this fusion you guys speak of?

Fusion is awesome. It is a combination of the materials that they use. Soft for grip and grabbing of the chains. Medium or Firm for the consistency out of the hand and the rigid disc one typically expects of a disc.

They kind of gave up on it after they struggled with consistency. My hope is that they have some stuff figured out.

Those videos make me dizzy. But I didn't know they just dropped the Ridge's bead on the Ibex. I love the simple changes that make a mold different. Sort of like Legacy putting a bead on the Magnet.

I guess I never thought about my Ridge having much of a bead. I'll be sure to try one and see if it kicks the Vector out of my bag.

I've been playing with an obex for about a month now and I'm loving it. No problem holding a straight line for 150ft with no fade! Makes for great up shots

Quick take on Obex. Incredibly straight when powered up. Similar to Ibex in straight forward flight but far more forgiving in regards to OAT. Solid and predictable fade but not abusive. When powered down it becomes incredibly overstable, jumping into a fade immediately, and crashing hard. It does this more so than any other mid I have that are comparable to the Obex when it and they are powered up.

Because it works best when powered up, it seems more susceptible to missing your intended line when grip is an issue. During my last trial it was wet on the ground and I often picked up grit, sand, and dirt. It was very hard to clean off and greatly affected my release when I needed to give it power, often coming out early.

I really like it for shaping lines but I would rather use the Ibex for distance and tunnel shots and the Ridge for longer approaches. With all this said, I believe the Obex is far more versitile than the Ibex, but the Ibex has more potential if you have clean form (there's the key).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts