• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What is your favorite putter and why?

chowee21

Par Member
I figure I use my putter for most shots about 60 ft or less. Most of the time I throw a Star Mako or Buzzz SS but I really think I want to pickup a MVP Anode to replace both of them.

So a couple questions...

What is your favorite putter and why?

What scenarios do you use your putter? (30' putts, tunnel shots, etc.)

Should I feel okay using my Star Mako or Buzzz SS as my putter? Why or why not?

Thanks!

I carry five putters in four molds.
2 - Discmania P1X - putting putters
1 - DX Polecat - approaches and drives
1 - Opto Pure - drives
1 - Zone - drives and utility

They're all very different and excel at different things.
There is no rule that says you need to putt with a putter, but you won't see the best players of our sport putt with drivers and mids, just like a ball golfer won't be putting with woods and irons. Putters are made for putting, and do it better than mids do.(Exceptions for extreme wind, etc.)
If you're just casually out to have fun, putt with whatever you want. If your goal is to improve and be a better player, find a putter you love the feel of and learn it. Your primary putting putter will be your most important disc. Then you can get several of them and use them for drives, approaches, and putts.

My main driving and putting putter is Omega SS. I like that feel and the flex. I also drive with Pigs in the wind and when I need to make sure it fades at the end.

If putting with a mid range feel good to you then do it. But I Would recommend trying many putters. And if you find one that clicks, use it a lot.

I carry 2 Wizards, a Breaker, and a Zone.

With that said, the Wizard is the best putter out there. It's basically kept Gateway in business for years...which is quite the feat for a single disc. It's slightly overstable, but comes in a plethora of plastics, which allow you to find the exact feel you want, and some cycle magnificently. Putts, approaches, drives...it's just a fantastic all around putter.

3 polecats for driving and approaching in different stages of wear, then one freshish kc aviar For almost all my putts and one very seasoned for very long putts .

I drive and approach with my putters as often as possible unless I have bad footing or if I'm having a bad day driving from an x step. Then I throw rocs and comets from standstills.

Favorite? Tough to choose. I could replace either, but my putting was never this good until I found the kc aviar. I could go back to driving anodes or pures, more than likely, without too much trouble.

Last edited:
rhyno.

2x DX one beat for touch up shots/long putts, one for putting.

2x Pro for drives

if it works it works, don't feel bad about your game.

Yes, you do want to pick up an Anode. It feels great in the hand, flies straight and true, and is also terrific for approaches and short drives off the tee.

If you like the feel of a beaded putter, you may want to try the Anode's older brother, the Ion. It is MVP's flagship putter, and, IMO, the best putter in disc golf. The Ion gives you the same superb qualities as the Anode, but has a little more stability. (It's basically a better Wizard. :thmbup: )

Soft Magnet. It is soft and grabs the chains, I love the feel of the disc in my hand and I have been using it for two decades. Listen, there is no magic putter. They go where you throw them....every time. I see no real reason to change. After twenty years of practice and use, nothing new will hit the sweet spot more often when I fail to throw it there.
I use my putter for putting. I have a Rhyno for short driving.
In the long run, I think the soft nature of a putter and the more blunt edge will save you a few blow thoughs and spit outs.
Find something that feels good and get good with it. It could be a lifelong love affair.

Yes, you do want to pick up an Anode. It feels great in the hand, flies straight and true, and is also terrific for approaches and short drives off the tee.

If you like the feel of a beaded putter, you may want to try the Anode's older brother, the Ion. It is MVP's flagship putter, and, IMO, the best putter in disc golf. The Ion gives you the same superb qualities as the Anode, but has a little more stability. (It's basically a better Wizard. :thmbup: )

Thoughts on soft vs medium?

Get a soft IMO. The mediums are weird to drive with, that rounded inner shoulder combined with the slickness on medium just messes everything up. Plus it's nice to be able to dig your thumb in on putts for a little extra pop and spin if you want. Helps with the grip. Definitely a Jack of all trades.

I carry two discs that they companies that make them call putters.

The real putter is the Touch, I bag 3 one CT Proto that is my main chain hitting disc in the circle, and two liquids one for driving and approaches and the other for when i need to putt with more grip than the CT Proto offers.

I like the Touch becuase it has a big bead, and a flat top which make or very comfortable in my hand. It also has very little turn and the fade is not dramatic. So it's predictable and goes where you point it.

The other is a Harp but I use it more like a mid since it's fairly OS and fast.

Big Bead Aviar. Lots of plastic options and breaks in nicely.

Followed closely by Small Bead Aviars.

Go for an Anode. Pastic (proton/neutron/eclipse) doesn't matter at all. Soft and medium is pretty significant...I prefer medium as soft is very flexible, but it doesn't flop due to the rim. It's all personal.

The Anode is very different from those other mids you have with more HSS, and just a different type of flight as it is a putter. I wouldn't necessarily replace a Buzzz SS or Mako with the Anode, but you'll realize how far you can throw the Anode eventually and then use those discs for different shots than approaches, perhaps. Either way, if you like how the Anode feels go for it and you won't regret it.

rff wizard for putting: great grip/feel and is more apt to sit rather than bounce and roll away on a miss.

soft focus for drives and approaches

Classic Roc for drives. DX Big bead aviar for up shots 75-150ft out. KC Pro Aviars for jump and circle putts. My jump putter is 171 and my circle putter is max weight, mostly psychological I'm sure but I feel the slight difference in weight gives me a bit more cofidence in my range. Although typically anything outside of 75ft is a throw not a putt for me any way.

Thoughts on soft vs medium?

I'm partial to Neutron plastic. The Soft would be my second choice overall, and first choice for cold weather. Regular Proton would be my last choice.

If you like lower profile discs, the new Atom that is being released on the 23rd of this month is a lot like the Anode, but has a better feel in the hand. And it comes is delicious Electron plastic, which is MVP's new baseline blend.

Challenger for straight to overstable or Magnet for less overstable shots. They both are quite slow, I love their plastic, and the feel in hand is perfect.