• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why so many discs?

you can play any course with one disc if you know that disc...one of the best in the world in the 90's was crazy john brooks...he played tourneys with usually 3 discs(no bag)

you can play any course with one disc if you know that disc...one of the best in the world in the 90's was crazy john brooks...he played tourneys with usually 3 discs(no bag)

Driver, mid and putter? Or did he have two drivers and a putter?

The guy with the afro... hes a beast. He is going to do that for the whole year, he even plays woodland with the wraith. I dont see how that is possible, but its working for him.

Yeah will has an afro lol.

I am curious to see how he does with it at Idle and Turtle when he has to play some turnover shots. Im guessing he will just keep on destroying people.

The thing is he plays every course with just that one disc.

and if what your saying is true whats the point? Why dont we all just go get a wraith,learn it and go beat nate doss?

he might throw forehand for the long turnovers, but im not sure. Like I said, he is always up at woodland and I am amazed at how he can play some of the holes he does with just a wraith. Idlewild then Rapid run... I wonder how long of a course rapid run will actually be?

i think i agree with lewis on this when i first started i need a lot of different discs to accomplish different shots but as my skill increased i found i was able to take these shots with fewer discs... though i carry 20 discs alll are different weights plastics and types.... overstable discs work good for winds blowing left to right and understables work good for right to lefts while heavy discs work good for headwinds and light discs work good for tailwinds and the plastic type seems to change for gripping the disc but that depends on whether its cold or hot..... but in the end my friend is just as good as me and carrys 7 discs so who knows... best thing about this game is thats there no such thing as a right or wrong way..... just "YOUR" way

well the wraith is a very versatile disc than can be used for turnover or fade shots... and as for using it as a putter... its actually not hard to putt with a wraith so long as you arent afraid to "gun" for the chains

john brooks carried a putter(magnet?) a cyclone and a comet i believe..natibuckeye you are more pessimistic than even i am...the point is you can learn what a disc does by playing with only one disc...or carry 30 and not know anything about most of them

i once shot -2 at miramar in Seabrook(pre-ike) with just a 160valkrye , and if your as good as you say i wouldnt mind looping a tourney for you sometime (you better bring some bud though i dont loop for free:D

john brooks carried a putter(magnet?) a cyclone and a comet i believe..natibuckeye you are more pessimistic than even i am...the point is you can learn what a disc does by playing with only one disc...or carry 30 and not know anything about most of them

Ive heard from many to avoid you on this site.. I guess i know why now

or theres the possiblity of going out to test field and learning those 30 discs.
I do know what you mean though. The learning curve on one mold as opposed to a couple dozen is much faster.

I dont disagree with anyone on the value of learning versatile discs rather than purchasing discs to try and fill voids in your game.

I believe my post of how good a local player is with one disc is proof of that.

It was his post that I disagreed with... the attitutde that "any player can go out and play a course with one disc" when i was just giving some proof that carrying alot of discs does not mean much.

Are there really players who carry 30 different molds?
More people I know who carry that many have multiple of specific discs that they are comfortable with throwing.

Are there really players who carry 30 different molds?
More people I know who carry that many have multiple of specific discs that they are comfortable with throwing.

I carry 18 discs, and in 12 different molds. Two are floaters, two are trash discs. The rest do different jobs for me.

If you want to carry just a few discs, that is fine with me, but I play mainly technical courses, and just a couple of discs will not work in all situations.

I field test my discs all the time, and I know exactly what each one will do. I don't just play the guessing game when I pull out a disc, but I do see alot of people who do.

As a new player, I've found that what works best for me is to play with just a few discs. I don't have the skill to fully utilize many discs, so I stick with simple and basic. I played my last round using just a Leopard, a Roc and and Aero, and shot my best round yet (out of 3, so it's not a huge statistical sample). Just focusing on a few discs allows you to fully figure out what they can do and what you can do with them. I carry about 12 discs now, but that's simply because I play with several high school students (part of our youth group), and they don't have any discs, so I ordered a mix n match set for them to use (and I bought a few discs for myself).

I say that people should do whatever works for them. If you can make use of a dozen different discs, then go for it. If you want to focus on 2-3, then do that. Who says there has to be a right way to disc, anyway?

As a new player, I've found that what works best for me is to play with just a few discs. I don't have the skill to fully utilize many discs, so I stick with simple and basic. I played my last round using just a Leopard, a Roc and and Aero, and shot my best round yet (out of 3, so it's not a huge statistical sample). Just focusing on a few discs allows you to fully figure out what they can do and what you can do with them. I carry about 12 discs now, but that's simply because I play with several high school students (part of our youth group), and they don't have any discs, so I ordered a mix n match set for them to use (and I bought a few discs for myself).

I say that people should do whatever works for them. If you can make use of a dozen different discs, then go for it. If you want to focus on 2-3, then do that. Who says there has to be a right way to disc, anyway?

i did this when i first started, but as you play longer you will get more comfortable with the differerent discs and find some that fly just a little bit different and you will use them to your advantage.

Ive heard from many to avoid you on this site.. I guess i know why now

Don't let other people's impression of someone color yours. Especially when you don't actually know someone, it's best to give them the benefit of the doubt. The more we can find ways to get along, the healthier the culture of these forums will be.

I carry as many as I can for the simple fact that I like discs. I like dyeing them, I like throwing them, and I like having a bunch of them. Unfortunately, I do not have a bunch of them, only 12. :(

Don't let other people's impression of someone color yours. Especially when you don't actually know someone, it's best to give them the benefit of the doubt. The more we can find ways to get along, the healthier the culture of these forums will be.

many people don't like people who are brutally honest...people want to get into a pissing match over opinions...its(the awesome dgcr forum) basically a bowl of soup and you have to decide what works for you...take what you want from all the posts and incorporate it into your game...

Latest posts