• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

“Twitchy” putting styles?

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Something that's been one of those repeated thoughts lately (maybe, perhaps, while contemplating my own currently horrible putting) is, what causes people to end up with putting styles that I would call "twitchy" or maybe "stabby"?

The putting strokes I'm thinking of are ones like Casey White, Matt Orum, Jennifer Allen, and this years Kona Panis (definitely not the only examples). Whether they have a quick "backswing", like White and Allen, or a more static starting point, like Orum and Panis, it's characterized by the forward motion, which is fairly linear, without arm swing, and basically starts out at full speed, exploding toward the target.

They seem intrinsically "brittle" to me, subject to small errors leading to big problems. Obviously really good pros can make them work, so I am just curious what I'm missing.

I also think Panis earlier in the year was a little more deliberate in rocking back and then rocking forward, which at least gave her a little more of a deliberate momentum change. But maybe that's just me.

Philo mentioned "apple pie" timing in commentary one time. Where his down/ back swing is on "apple" and his push forward/ release on "pie." Helps ensure a slow, controlled start with explosive finish like most good athletic movements.

I have seen a million different putting styles, some simply god awful. Though there is probably some correlation between bad form and success, don't think there are not some really good putters with really janky technique. If you practice a repeatable action enough, you can become good at it. Putting is about comfort and confidence, not style points.

I have seen a million different putting styles, some simply god awful. Though there is probably some correlation between bad form and success, don't think there are not some really good putters with really janky technique. If you practice a repeatable action enough, you can become good at it. Putting is about comfort and confidence, not style points.

Could not agree more. And one more point to make - it is about developing the strength in the multitude of tendons and ligaments in the fingers and hands and there is no substitute for that outside of thousands of repetitions.

Similar to how a car mechanic can look like a regular guy but have incredible strength and power to crank a wrench due to all the reps, putting is the exact same way.

Could not agree more. And one more point to make - it is about developing the strength in the multitude of tendons and ligaments in the fingers and hands and there is no substitute for that outside of thousands of repetitions.

Similar to how a car mechanic can look like a regular guy but have incredible strength and power to crank a wrench due to all the reps, putting is the exact same way.

Bad analogy, the best car Mech just has the right custom bent and ground wrench in his box for that one bolt and knows how to use it.

Philo mentioned "apple pie" timing in commentary one time. Where his down/ back swing is on "apple" and his push forward/ release on "pie." Helps ensure a slow, controlled start with explosive finish like most good athletic movements.
I've been doing something similar to avoid rushing, it helps me for the timing and it also easier to stay focus when my brain repeat something in my preparation.

most perfect example of shaky putting form I have seen is young Evan Scott on the recent Huk Central footage

https://youtu.be/0hb1BNg3AyQ

- little guy reminded me of one of those toy monkeys with the cymbals

most perfect example of shaky putting form I have seen is young Evan Scott on the recent Huk Central footage

When I saw the thread title, this kid was the first person that came to mind. The thing about Evan though is he is all twitchy before his actual putt/run-up/throw and really smooth during.

That's seems like it's just Evan's pre-routine. His backswing is a little quick, but he seems to have a pause and then when he starts the forward swing, it's a slow acceleration until he gets pop all the way at the end of the stroke.

The putting strokes I'm talking about are jerky on the start of the forward swing.

I completely understand everyone has to develop what works for them. If the putting stroke I seem to be settling on actually works out, I'll post a video because it seems like it's very unique.

My question goes more to fundamentals and principles. Panis dramatically toyed with her putt in the offseason and while she has made it work (see that dominant performance at Waco), it just seems to abandon her too readily. Same thing with Jen Allen, who doesn't seem to even trust her regular putt from inside 15', going turbo instead.

I'm just wondering if people see merit in the idea that twitchy putts are not as dependable. Part of my thought here is that you frequently see people get off the rails by getting "too quick" and twitchy putts basically start off that way.

ETA: I'm thinking of this more more conversationally, if you will. My own putting struggles aren't why I started the thread and I'm not contemplating going with this kind of putt.

Last edited:
There's a local here who looks like a kid hyped up on Mountain Dew during his putting stroke. Haven't played with him in a while but I seem to remember him making way more putts than you'd expect from watching him.

I wonder if the players who 'stab' their putts have an advantage? They are forcefully getting their putter into the basket....wouldn't that putt be the same regardless of distance from the basket? Where other players have to adjust the force they use depending on how far they are from the basket.

Effectively, the 'stab' putters have one style of putt; the 'adjusters' have multiple styles of putt depending on distance from the basket.

I wonder if the players who 'stab' their putts have an advantage? They are forcefully getting their putter into the basket....wouldn't that putt be the same regardless of distance from the basket? Where other players have to adjust the force they use depending on how far they are from the basket.

Effectively, the 'stab' putters have one style of putt; the 'adjusters' have multiple styles of putt depending on distance from the basket.

That's more the difference between a spin putt and a push putt, I would think. Heimburg, Eagle, Lizotte, Hailey King, etc. all have very fluid putting motions and are basically just releasing straight at the basket.

Compared to someone like Barsby, who has a smoothish putting motion with a push putt and basically lobs the disc to the basket. Sarah Hokom has more of a stabbing motion on her push putt, and then switches to a really odd looking, very stabby, jump spin putt from outside the circle.

Calvin Heimburg looks nearly identical whether he is putting 10 feet or 50 feet. No stab involved.

I feel like a slight hyzer putt is the most adaptable style across multiple ranges. It also lets you use all of the same fundamental principles that every single shot uses.

People do seem to have good luck with that stabbing style sometimes, but it seems like an objective disadvantage to have such a different stroke for specific putting ranges, at least to me.

All I can say is, based on my limited views of here on action, I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Kona's putting style.

I'm sure someone will post her UDisc stats to prove me wrong, but the way she forces an anny release doesn't seem to work all that well for her.

All I can say is, based on my limited views of here on action, I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Kona's putting style.

I'm sure someone will post her UDisc stats to prove me wrong, but the way she forces an anny release doesn't seem to work all that well for her.
Don't anny putt is like tip #1 if you go back to The Champ's tip videos on putting.

Don't anny putt is like tip #1 if you go back to The Champ's tip videos on putting.

I'm going to see if I can go back and find it, I think it was Ian and Sarah Hokum on CCDG. They made the comment during one of the times Panis was on card that she was actually using the putting style of some well known older pro. I don't remember recognizing the name, but that doesn't really narrow it down.

In any case, earlier in the year she was really rocking back on to her back foot, front toe up, and then rocking forward and it was almost like the putter and arm were just falling from that high set point, and the putter was almost rolling out of her hand. To my eye, it was much different than where she is at right now.

She received a lot of praise for working on her putting and for her new style, but her C1X has dropped from 62% last year to 50% this year.

She received a lot of praise for working on her putting and for her new style, but her C1X has dropped from 62% last year to 50% this year.

So the stats support my observation, huh?

All I can think is she's trying to "give it time to work," which I kinda get. Just because you change something about your technique doesn't mean it instantly gets better. You gotta put in the work and give it time... so I give her credit for recognizing that.

I just think she's latched onto a technique that won't really pan out, even after she's given it sufficient time.

Early in the year she was crushing it though. Waco she finished 12 strokes ahead of the field and gained 9.26 strokes putting, first in the field.

Early in the year she was crushing it though. Waco she finished 12 strokes ahead of the field and gained 9.26 strokes putting, first in the field.

She hit a couple of the long C1X putts in her 3rd round, but everything she made to secure that win was listed at 5 or 16 feet. So I think that was a byproduct of great drives/approaches. She was 39% the week before and 48% the week after.

I don't want to crap on her. There is nothing to not like about her, she makes good content, and she works hard. But that is one of those things where everyone knows you are working, so every time you make something, they talk about the improvement. Even though you missed the 2 before it and your numbers are down.

Latest posts