• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 PDGA Pro World Championships: Monterey Bay, California

JHern

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
The 2011 Pro Worlds is scheduled for August 7-13, 2011 in Monterey Bay, California (Santa Cruz, Watsonville, and Monterey). This year, Pro Worlds will feature 432 competitors from around the world, with 200 volunteers and course marshals plus a staff of 35. Four courses will be utilized (DeLaveaga, Pinto Lake, CSUMB-Oaks, and Ryan Ranch), with competitors playing one 27-hole round per day at each course (Tuesday-Friday). Semi-finals will be held Saturday morning at both DeLaveaga and Pinto Lake. The finals will be held on Saturday afternoon at Pinto Lake, and the awards ceremony will immediately follow at Pinto Lake.

The 2011 Pro Worlds website (2011proworlds.com) is now up and running, with information regarding events, schedules, lodging, and other useful information being added all the time. Please let us know if you experience any problems with the website, or if there is anything in particular you'd like to see posted on the website that isn't already available.

We need 200 volunteers. Click here to sign up. Those who join us will become an essential part of one of the best volunteer corps ever assembled in the sport of disc golf. To ensure the highest quality and level of commitment, each volunteer is being asked to invest $60 when they sign on (a modest investment that will be recovered many times over). Volunteers will be treated like gold. Also, a special volunteer barbecue and tournament will be held on Sunday, 14 August. Many touring pros will be on hand to serve the volunteers as a way of expressing their gratitude for their service during the tournament. As a tradition, TDs in Monterey Bay are famous for assembling some of the finest swag bags imaginable, and at 2011 Worlds we're pulling out all the stops for the assembly of an epic volunteer bag.

We also need sponsors to help support this event. Our sponsorship plans each offer an excellent way to advertise to all participants and spectators. We have four sponsorship plans available (click an option for more information): Par Sponsor: $250, Birdie Sponsor: $1500, Eagle Sponsor: $10,000, and Ace Sponsor: $25,000. Click here for further information and a complete list of sponsorship plans.

Feel free to post any questions or suggestions regarding 2011 Worlds in this thread, I will be checking back regularly.

We look forward to seeing you in August!

Invitation letters to compete in the 2011 Pro Worlds went out today, March 15th, to about 1000 PDGA pro players in all divisions. These players will have 30 days to exercise their option to register, March 15 - April 14.

Registration for Worlds will then open up to all registered PDGA PROS on April 15 through May 14. If you are currently registered as a pro but did not qualify through last year's point system, this is the time to get registered. Please do not wait if you want a spot.

We strongly believe this tournament will fill up and encourage all pros to register prior to May 14th.

On May 15th, registration will be open to all players, pro or amateur, currently registered with the PDGA. Registration will officially cut off on July 22nd unless it fills up sooner, which we think it will prior to May 14th.

In the past, tournaments on the West coast have filled up in a couple of hours, such as the Beaver State Fling. We are already getting numerous requests to be put on a "wait list" based on the assumption that this Worlds will fill up during the pro registration period.

The list of invitees can be found in the following PDF document:

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/2011ProWorlds-InvitedPlayersAlphabetical.pdf

Is there going to be a list of players who have registered off the initial invitees list? Or how many spots are available before April 15? Cant' wait to drive to a worlds near my house ...stoked!!!

I'm sure we'll know how many took advantage of the early registration period, and will be able to report it widely. After the first period ends, however, the event could fill very rapidly, so it is best to be prepared to take advantage of your first opportunity to register. Lake Casitas' annual tournament filled up in just 10 minutes after registration was opened to the public.

Whats with all the ma1 & ma2 players being allowed to play at pro worlds?? Pretty dumb too considering the defending champ has to wait because of local ams wanting to play.

Booter said:
Whats with all the ma1 & ma2 players being allowed to play at pro worlds?? Pretty dumb too considering the defending champ has to wait because of local ams wanting to play.

That's a bunch of BS. The touring pros (including Emac) who got invites had a gold-plated invitation slot that was open for an entire 2 months. They knew way in advance of that that they would have it available, and when it would be available. So they sit on their asses. And they sit on their asses. We told them over and over and over again to get registered before it was opened to Ams. You have no idea the kind of shaking of trees that was done to get their attention. Snail mail. E-mail. Phone calls. Posting on FB walls. Bugging friends to bug them. You name it. There is no excuse for ignorance on this one.

Then some of them wait until AFTER registration opens up for Ams to try and jump in and totally clog up everything. Then complain that Ams are allowed in, and try to bully them back out so they can get in from way down the wait list. If they'd just have registered when they had their red carpet period open just for them, then there would be no Ams at all playing in 2011 Pro Worlds. And its very telling that they only started to complain about the Am registration period after registration opened for everybody and they were caught with their pants down. Some of these guys think they deserve more royal treatment than Kenny Climo, or Nate Doss, or Nikko Locastro, or Avery Jenkins, etc., etc., who all registered when it was time for them to register.

Seriously guys, if you don't know how bad some of these MPOs procrastinate with registration, hang around a while longer. Maybe TD a big tournament, they'll have you pulling your hair out and gouging out your eyes, and swearing that next time you're going to do advance registration only, and let PDGA handle it all online.

No, it's definitely dumb. If disc golf is to be thought of as legitimate in any fashion, what basically amounts to the practice of fans playing instead of established pros should never even be a remote possibility at its biggest tournament.

Peot said:
No, it's definitely dumb. If disc golf is to be thought of as legitimate in any fashion, what basically amounts to the practice of fans playing instead of established pros should never even be a remote possibility at its biggest tournament.

To me, that's what makes disc golf special. The sport hasn't segregated and become exclusive, its still inclusive. Perhaps you prefer a sport with big walls and glass and security separating the players and the fans. I don't. Many of the top players in disc golf are my buds, we all share the same passion...

If you invite somebody to come to an event, and they ignore it, then what are you supposed to do? You can invite some others who are dying to be there. And they are going to essentially donate their entry fee to the top players in the sport, thus supporting them in the best way possible. Why stop them?

Everybody playing in 2011 Pro Worlds really wants to play 2011 Pro Worlds. I can't say the same for any of the rest.

I completely agree with JHern. Everyone else complaining about this are just whiners. Registration was open to all invitees for over a month before I was allowed to register and I've been a Pro for quite a while. I had to wait. I didn't get a gold plated invitation to enter. But when the time came that I could enter, I was on it immediately!!! If you want to play, you make the effort--plain and simple. This isn't a C tier. We're talking about the World Champs in which everybody wants to play. Why is it people from Japan, Europe, Australia, etc. could find the time to reg.? People just complain when it's full instead of making the effort. And if the current World Champ felt above everyone else and it wasn't important to him to reg., then why should he be allowed in? He does deserves the right to defend his title but also needs to respect the process and the other players who obviously wanted to play more. I know he finally was registered but he passed up multiple people who took the time to get on the waiting list ahead of him.

On the note about Ams--how does everybody think the sport or the open division is going to grow if you make it an exclusive club in which open players have priority and ams aren't allowed to compete? How is that promoting people to move up if you're always saying "here's our scraps ams". It's either a an Open only tourney or everyone has the right to register. Amateurs have always been allowed and encouraged to play open tourneys so why would the World Champs be any different? There were a lot of warnings about when the registration was going to be opened to anyone willing to pony up the $220 and any "pro" left outside looking in has only themselves to complain about.

I'm not saying it should necessarily be "an exclusive club." If disc golf gains any ground, it will be at some point I'm sure. All I'm saying is that people being able to register who have no chance at winning, much less cashing, over the guy who JUST WON is insane to me.

Booter said:
How.... are we ever.....going to be a legitimate..... sport???????? Absolutely unreal. :shock: Emac has been out winning tournaments like he should instead of being on the interwebs. Let's just alienate his ass for being out playing golf instead of sitting on a computer. :lol: It makes our sport look even better to future sponsors. :roll: Not to mention the fact that the previous years winner should have a guaranteed spot the following year.

Peot said:
I'm not saying it should necessarily be "an exclusive club." If disc golf gains any ground, it will be at some point I'm sure. All I'm saying is that people being able to register who have no chance at winning, much less cashing, over the guy who JUST WON is insane to me.

I still don't understand. If somebody is willing to move up to Pro so they can play in Worlds, what's wrong with that? Just because they were previously an Am, they should be shut out? And, as geoblime said, getting people to move up to Pro is only going to help expand the field so that this process becomes more straightforward in the future. Also, Tom Schot thinks that players need to "get away from the Am mentality" and go Pro as early as possible, so this is a good way to push some to do just that.

Regarding EMac and some other Pros, I've talked to them, and they are tight on cash/credit a lot of times, registering for a lot of tournaments, buying plane tickets, etc.. When you do a lot of touring, it puts a good deal of financial strain on you, unless you're very well-organized or money simply isn't an object. I know that some pros (e.g., Nate, Val, and Avery) seem to be very well-organized about the process, they plan well in advance to save headaches. And its still tough to plan, because their payouts don't often materialize until well after the events they cashed in.

Also, in the future, I personally think that the previous year's World champ in each division should not have to register at all. They should be given an automatic slot and the PDGA should cover their reg fees. Plain and simple. It is one of the prizes for winning the previous year. They can opt out if they want, to open up spots for others in case they can't make it.

JHern said:
Peot said:

I still don't understand. If somebody is willing to move up to Pro so they can play in Worlds, what's wrong with that? Just because they were previously an Am, they should be shut out? And, as geoblime said, getting people to move up to Pro is only going to help expand the field so that this process becomes more straightforward in the future. Also, Tom Schot thinks that players need to "get away from the Am mentality" and go Pro as early as possible, so this is a good way to push some to do just that.

Regarding EMac and some other Pros, I've talked to them, and they are tight on cash/credit a lot of times, registering for a lot of tournaments, buying plane tickets, etc.. When you do a lot of touring, it puts a good deal of financial strain on you, unless you're very well-organized or money simply isn't an object. I know that some pros (e.g., Nate, Val, and Avery) seem to be very well-organized about the process, they plan well in advance to save headaches. And its still tough to plan, because their payouts don't often materialize until well after the events they cashed in.

Also, in the future, I personally think that the previous year's World champ in each division should not have to register at all. They should be given an automatic slot and the PDGA should cover their reg fees. Plain and simple. It is one of the prizes for winning the previous year. They can opt out if they want, to open up spots for others in case they can't make it.

I don't even think it's necessarily an issue of just Eric McCabe, who stands out for obvious reasons. I would say anybody who is rated 1020 or something being shut out of worlds over a 920 player just because of registration is kind of ridiculous. At an A-tier? I agree, registration should just be first-come first-serve. But at any of the NT or Majors precedence should be given to the big dogs for sure.

As for "people getting away from the Am mentality," I think if anything it should be the other way around. People around here move up way too soon. Now I'm still pretty new to the game, but the people who play open around here are 940-960 and never really play in the bigger events with touring pros because they don't stand a chance.

If the big dogs get precedence to register, how long should you wait for them to get their act together? How long do the lowly Ams hang in the balance waiting to see if they get to play? I like the idea of the previous year's winner having a reserved spot, but everyone else should have to register in a timely manner or risk being shut out.

How.... are we ever.....going to be a legitimate..... sport???????? Absolutely unreal. Emac has been out winning tournaments like he should instead of being on the interwebs. Let's just alienate his ass for being out playing golf instead of sitting on a computer. It makes our sport look even better to future sponsors.
How legitimate of competitors are the top pros that got shut out if they can't find time to register for the World Championships? How long does it take to register, 3 mins? If I was anyone of importance at Discraft I'd be a little disappointed in EMac that he didn't get registered in time. Maybe they should have done it for him...

Latest posts