• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2012 Discraft Ace Race Disc

You once again put on a great tourney thanks Casey. I like this new disc way better than last year. I will have to test what the stability will be like at sea level. At 6000' it flew like a warship with less glide.
So the western honeybee's latin name is apis mellifera. This disc should be called the apis, just saying.

Thanks mike, already looking forward to bigger and better next year. See you next weekend!

Just got back from am AMAZING Ace Race event at Phantom Falls (hi Fishy!) Ill avoid gushing about Pauline and how much fun I had and focus on the discs. I got a Max weight red one that was really domey, and it flew pretty well. I throw almost entirely forenamed on drives and this thing just faded real hard but I liked it. Very easy disc. The second disc was blue with a totally flat top. Weighed in at 165. This one might actually stay in my bag...I loved it! With just a little flick it took off like a bullet and really held the line. I actually sent it onto the highway because it got so much weight underneath it. Great discs, but I found a pretty big variance in the two. Cant wait to see what the Ace Race in Arvada next month has to offer!

Quick review garnered from 75+ players yesterday.

Nose sensitive, especially above 7 or 8 feet off the ground. It became overstable with more height and was easy to stall out. At 3 to 6 feet of the ground the thing was laser straight with mild HSS but could ride the line into the ground. With ground-effect lift and its inert glide, it could go just as far this low off the ground as it could when getting aired out.

Not a great ace run disc but fantastic for CTPs and placement. I think it really does live up to its billing of a hybrid mid/ fairway driver. The winner only had 1 ace and three metals yesterday, but if we would have had a category for close calls (1 foot or less), I would have easily scored two dozen of these. While our holes were short, they were technical and we really put these discs through their paces.

Not great for distance and accuracy. With my 380+ foot power I had no problem parking 250 foot holes, but for those who normally can muster 300 feet were having trouble getting them out to 200. Of course you need to take into consideration that they were trying to hit the basket at 211 and 250 feet. It just says that if you NEED accuracy, count on it only going 66% of your normal maximum distance. Anything more than that and you run the risk of bad form sneaking into your throw, causing shanks, grip locks, early stalls, or ditching it into the ground.

For those with less than perfect forehand form, it punished you when you generated power. It held nice smooth S lines at lower power but really seem to accentuate wobble in less than clean releases when powered up.

The general consensus was that despite the lack of aces, people had a LOT of fun playing the tournament and throwing the disc. Numerous people commented that it was not a good Ace Race disc but a fantastic fairway driver that could possible make their bag. They are glad that it was a driver this year because they did not have to full power a putter like they had to last year.

I will hopefully have our tournament's video on Youtube by tonight or tomorrow. We did not catch any aces on film, there were a total of 10 or 11 spread over 75 players, but we had a numerous metals and near-misses. Even one hit the camera off of a skip.

I am so ready for mine on the 18th! Just waiting to see videos of some of the ace races that went down, so far the only ones that have showed up are the perth videos and that was a putting comp lol I need to see the disc in real action.

I had a blast playing yesterday! Ended the day with only 4 metal hits and a few near misses. The disc goes right where you throw it. It is definitely in the space beetween a mid and fairway driver.

I am so ready for mine on the 18th! Just waiting to see videos of some of the ace races that went down, so far the only ones that have showed up are the perth videos and that was a putting comp lol I need to see the disc in real action.

Give me a few more minutes and it will be ready to link.

Nice video! I wouldn't want to be the guy running the camera. Did he get hit like ten times or is he like a damn cat?

Nice video! I wouldn't want to be the guy running the camera. Did he get hit like ten times or is he like a damn cat?

For a big guy he is rather nimble. However, if it was anything below his knees he just let it hit him. I am surprised he did not put it in this cut (we do have a longer version we are using for a our annual league montage), but there was a shot that hit the dirt in front of him, sprayed the dirt at him, and temporarily blinded him so he could not get the camera out of the way. By that time the disc was flying too slow to cause damage but the camera took a licking on that shot.

For a big guy he is rather nimble. However, if it was anything below his knees he just let it hit him. I am surprised he did not put it in this cut (we do have a longer version we are using for a our annual league montage), but there was a shot that hit the dirt in front of him, sprayed the dirt at him, and temporarily blinded him so he could not get the camera out of the way. By that time the disc was flying too slow to cause damage but the camera took a licking on that shot.

Best ace race video so far, little too much talking from the TD in the video though.

How many aces did the winner have?

and the disc flies about how I was expecting from the video so thats awesome! I am registered for one already and now one of the guys in my local golf group just started one........lol looks like I get two shots at it this year.

Last edited:
Best ace race video so far, little too much talking from the TD in the video though.

How many aces did the winner have?

and the disc flies about how I was expecting from the video so thats awesome! I am registered for one already and now one of the guys in my local golf group just started one........lol looks like I get two shots at it this year.

I did not talk too much. I said everything that Discraft wanted me to say because they wanted all first weekend TDs to create a video and they were specific about what we should cover.

Scott, you talked too much:)

I still don't know how I feel about the disc, coming from a lower power player (max D for drivers is 300-320) it felt like the disc didn't want a lot of power, if you overpowered it at all it would completely turn and burn on you, felt like the best way to throw it was a bit of anny, then let it flex back. laserbeaming it was tough because you had to really control your height or the fade would get you.

Not a great disc for an Ace Race the way we had it set up, too hard to control into those touch spots. But I think it will be great fun at a more open Ace Race (like GGGT's). Not positive the disc has a spot in my bag, it might, but I need to throw it more, basically feels like a bit longer buzzz, but that spot might already be held by my eagles, and I don't think this will knock them out. I'm not sure I can see a shot where I say "It's too long for the buzzz, and I don't want to take 10% off the eagle so I'll throw this"

Does anybody think this disc throws like a opto pain? Thats what I got out of it after throwing it at the ace race in Dover.

Does anybody think this disc throws like a opto pain? Thats what I got out of it after throwing it at the ace race in Dover.

Slightly. The Pain is more OS, the Ace Race disc takes more kindly to being underpowered.

Can anyone post some profile pics of the disc's rim? Couldn't see as much as I would like from the Discraft Pics.

Thanks