• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

Ace Races should not sell out.

Worst case, you have a crowd of people with 2 discs in their possession.

Then you have a few people who didn't sign up. To which you politely ask your crowd: "Would anyone like to let someone borrow or buy one of their discs?"

The trick is telling the non-signed up crowd to come back after you get all your pre-regged people their stuff.

It's a beautiful thing seeing people cooperate and "make it work".

No one gets turned away at our Ace Race. It just might be a tiny bit awkward for a minute or two, but it's worth it to let a handful of people enjoy the day with you rather than telling them "better luck next time."

This used to be a legitimate solution to accommodating walk-ups when you don't have enough packs; however, with Discraft's rewording of the rule that "every player must buy a new full pack for $25 in order to be eligible for the grand prize," TDs should be careful in offering this option. In previous years I did just what you outlined above, and even had some couples play off a shared pack (each gets one disc and they can fight over the rest of the pack contents) by just adding a player to their pack for $10.

Of course, allowing those walk-ups would be the cool thing to do, but if word gets back to Discraft from a cranky player (especially if one of your "add-on" players ends up winning) that you broke the rules, your future events could be denied...my event was almost refused this year -- even after it had been scheduled -- because I was advertising that people could play for $10 if they had discs from a prior 2013 Ace Race (which is something else I've done for years).

So my ace race this weekend is now going to be a wet event. After a summer of drought conditions it has a 50-60 percent of rain and thunderstorms. I am now debating on really shrinking the course and having the players throw both disc per hole to speed up the process. Not thrilled with this idea, but we may have a short window to work in. Rain is scheduled til miday on Sunday and I leave for vacation so the next two weekends for make up can't happen because i be 1400 miles away. Any body has any other options I should consider? Or is the two throw option the best on a rainy day?

Have 2 tee off spots per hole to mix it up and have them throw from each spot in one round.

So my ace race this weekend is now going to be a wet event. After a summer of drought conditions it has a 50-60 percent of rain and thunderstorms. I am now debating on really shrinking the course and having the players throw both disc per hole to speed up the process. Not thrilled with this idea, but we may have a short window to work in. Rain is scheduled til miday on Sunday and I leave for vacation so the next two weekends for make up can't happen because i be 1400 miles away. Any body has any other options I should consider? Or is the two throw option the best on a rainy day?

Disc golf is not a fair weather sport. A little rain never hurt anybody. Of course, up here the rain could be combined with 35 degee temps. You would need a hat for sure in that case.
Maybe just buy a box of garbage bags and put one in each player pack as a Discraft rain poncho.

This used to be a legitimate solution to accommodating walk-ups when you don't have enough packs; however, with Discraft's rewording of the rule that "every player must buy a new full pack for $25 in order to be eligible for the grand prize," TDs should be careful in offering this option. In previous years I did just what you outlined above, and even had some couples play off a shared pack (each gets one disc and they can fight over the rest of the pack contents) by just adding a player to their pack for $10.

Of course, allowing those walk-ups would be the cool thing to do, but if word gets back to Discraft from a cranky player (especially if one of your "add-on" players ends up winning) that you broke the rules, your future events could be denied...my event was almost refused this year -- even after it had been scheduled -- because I was advertising that people could play for $10 if they had discs from a prior 2013 Ace Race (which is something else I've done for years).

Noted, and thanks.

Found this little beauty in my ace race pack. And it's terrible they sent me 46 minis for my 45 players. Guess who is claiming td privilege on this one lol. By the way it looks like the weather may just rain and not thunderstorm like we thought.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 101
Ace Race at Flaherty Park was a complete success. Had a few newbs that got some new swag in their hands so that's always a good thing. I think there were 5 or 6 or so aces total with the winner getting 2 aces and one metal. Heck even I got one ace. :thmbup: Sold every freaking pack. Now I feel like a real tool for complaining about the Lake Township Ace Race being too close to ours.

The fella that won it probably deserved it the most because he was part of a 4 or 5 man cleaning crew that went through the park to clear out brush and set up the tees. That winners pack was SWEET!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201189715877411&l=1c52f7e3bf

played in my first one today. not sure what I think about the discs. couldn't seem to get it dialed in. no metals or aces. still was a fun time!

Played my first Ace Race today and really enjoyed it, I tied for 3rd with 1 ace(my first ever) and 2 metals. My first metal was almost an ace but it blew thru the chains. Great time and I think these disc will work in my bag

So ran my ace race yesterday with mixed results. There were several metals, but only two aces. We were also blessed with 1.5 of rain that fell while we played. At the player meeting the majority of players wanted to throw both shots per hole because of the heavy rain. Unfortunately because of the heavy rain I got distracted and one of the temp baskets wasn't put in place. Instead it got doubled up on the previous hole. Other then that and the freezing cold constant rain everyone seemed to have fun. Most of my players said what I have said on this thread before. Great disc, bad ace race disc.

And on a side note about our weather. Day before at 9am was 75 and clear. Day after 65 and clear. During our event 55 and downpour.

I won the chainstar giveaway for the random draw - video division! Just wanted to brag for a second!

Meh...

The 2013 Ace Race player pack includes:

Two copies of the 2013 Ace Race prototype disc: It's a beginner-friendly distance driver... and it's in premium Titanium plastic!

On Titanium mini Magnet: you've never seen one before, since they've never been made before!

Two reusable scorecards/bag tags: some else you've never seen before! We commissioned these reusable scorecards just for 2013 Ace Racers. With a pencil and a clean eraser, you can use your new scorecards for round after round. The first one is credit card sized... keep it in your wallet and you'll always have a scorecard ready to go. It also makes a cool bag tag!

The 2nd reusable scorecard is larger for easier use and up to six rounds of 18 before it needs erasing. The flipside has the complete 2013 Discraft flight chart for easy reference anytime. Stash it in your back pocket, in your bag, or use the punch hole to hang it wherever you like.

We're also including a pencil with eraser with your Ace Race player package, so you can start using these cards right away.

Two high impact plastic pint glasses: very cool!

One beverage koozie: silver on black, jack.

One tri-panel Discraft sticker: three stickers in one.

Anybody know where I can get the large reusable scorecards? Looking for one. Thanks