• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Discraft Ace Race

10514434_10152309597088644_8879709571291170279_o_zpsd61746a8.jpg

Distance driver, huh?

Avenger SS is one of my go too's... Maybe this will take its spot. Doesn't seem like a good ace race disc though.

So maybe a slightly more overstable Avenger SS that can glide out a long ways without totally turning over? If that's the case, it could be a really fun disc to throw, just not in an ace race setting.

May make setting up courses a bit easier, though, if it's a DD. Just leave the regular course and don't worry about it, haha.

Lame.

As a TD, i want to say this will be the last year i run an ace race.............. but then there's the chance that the 2015 disc will probably be a mid or putter.

Maybe this is the year I do the Ace Race! My buddy won the Dela one last year winging that Mantis forehand into the chains twice in a row.

Going to be tough to hit the chains with a high speed driver, but maybe that will give the newbs the luck advantage :)

1) I like that I now know what it is so we can plan our course appropriately and have it ready to go in three weeks.

2) As a player, being a tournament director aside, I am disappointed that it is another driver. It seems as more and more players are able to stretch their drives out to 400 to 500 feet, that the once neglected midrange slot is seeing new life because people need to dial in their precision 300 foot shots. I would like to see manufacturers spend more time with this slot.

3) If it is going to be a driver, I like that it is understable. I do not want it crazy understable like a Mamba, Archangel, or a new mold Beast, but if it is like a longer Leopard or Roadrunner where it definitely has some turn in it but it is manageable, I think it can work great for the ace race.

4) An understable driver is not that bad of an idea for an ace race, as long as it is not nose sensitive. Newer players, who are usually the target demographic for most such tournaments, likely need to be introduced to understable discs to start instead of Bosses and such that promise speed without control.

5) Ace Races are obviously about aces, not parking the hole. If it can hold a line, it will be a good ace race disc for veteran players. The course we play at has a wonderful mixture of straight tunnel shots, some elevation change, a few blind shots, and most with some turn or dogleg requiring a disc to turn or fade, all within 180 feet or less. I think a powered down driver will be exactly what we need.

5a) It seems that the most aces with putters and mids at such tournaments are by those veteran players who know how to control slower discs in general and still get that kind of distance. Even though it was a stable to overstable driver last year, we had quite a few newer players with metal aces and their first aces on any level. Experienced players still won, but more people were competitive.

Was planning on skipping the AR this year. This solidifies that decision.

Is it just me or is the ace race becoming more about rolling out a new disc than it is the actual event itself?

I get a feeling DC has mistaken more interest in ace races as more interest in the discs they are releasing. In truth disc golf is growing and attracting more participants. 3 discs in a row have been driver type molds and thats just crazy. The mantis last year was ridiculous and I will probably be skipping out this year.

Latest posts