• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

What if the spotter/spectator would have moved the chair? If they didn't themselves could Paul have asked them to remove it?

The rules specifically say that he can request that. They do not allow Paul himself to do it, however.

Nailed it, bombmk.

Last sentence of 803.01 Obstacles And Relief
Last updated: Friday, August 29, 2014 - 15:02

in case anyone can't find it.
Finally someone hits the nail on the head. the Line of play is defined as
Line of Play
The imaginary line on the playing surface extending from the center of the target through the center of the marker disc and beyond.
which feeds into my OG point that i felt like the chair should have been allowed to be removed but again i am the junior member of that group. and the player threw before the issue could be hashed out to it end

I 100% agree with Dave. It's the media's job to portray the game in a positive light, when you are catering to the masses. As a video guy myself, you have to use your head here; remove expletives (I fill in that empty space with ambient sounds), don't show discs with drug references, and don't show massive anger problems.

Show emotions, show the story, and if someone is having a problem with you, then it's your right as the editor to not show them either.

We, as DG media, have tons of room to grow, we are still in our infancy. As we grow, professionalism on BOTH sides need to grow as well. It's a privilege to play the game at such a high level, and it's a privilege to be able to video/photograph it as well.

"Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the Director before the round."

Please show me where it states anything about "clearly states that he can move a person or the persons belongings. " persons belongings are not stated at all. That chair was absolutely not a "players equipment" it was not a "person" nor anything else listed here. if we are going to discuss the effectively please quote the rule and express the opinion from there.

It is wrong to say the McBeth himself could have moved it - as it, as you indicate, does not fall under the definition of casual obstacles.

But 803.01 part A says:

A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/803-the-lie/80301-obstacles-and-relief

Request being the operative word, of course. I doubt the spotter would have refused, though.

what you are referring to applies to prior to the throw and not after the throw has come to rest. Please quote the rule that backs this up. "and/or their belongings"

Here's the whole part A:

803.01 Obstacles And Relief
Last updated: Friday, August 29, 2014 - 15:02

A Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described below, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, or picnic tables), which is considered to be part of the course. A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play.

I didn't see the situation, I was under the impression the chair was in the way of his stance or throwing motion.

If he wanted it moved because it was in his flight path, that's different. Then, the question would be whether it was in his "line of play", and whether that meant only behind the marker or all the way to the basket, and whether that was straight line on the ground or where the disc might fly.

Here's the whole part A:

I didn't see the situation, I was under the impression the chair was in the way of his stance or throwing motion.

If he wanted it moved because it was in his flight path, that's different. Then, the question would be whether it was in his "line of play", and whether that meant only behind the marker or all the way to the basket, and whether that was straight line on the ground or where the disc might fly.
you have unearthed the crux of the situation. McBeth it appears could have used 803.01A to request that a other people (the spotter) remove his belongings (the chair) which is on the line of play which includes behind his lie. Thanks Steve!

you have unearthed the crux of the situation. McBeth it appears could have used 803.01A to request that a other people (the spotter) remove his belongings (the chair) which is on the line of play which includes behind his lie. Thanks Steve!

Credit goes to bombmk.

I 100% agree with Dave. It's the media's job to portray the game in a positive light, when you are catering to the masses. As a video guy myself, you have to use your head here; remove expletives (I fill in that empty space with ambient sounds), don't show discs with drug references, and don't show massive anger problems.

Show emotions, show the story, and if someone is having a problem with you, then it's your right as the editor to not show them either.

We, as DG media, have tons of room to grow, we are still in our infancy. As we grow, professionalism on BOTH sides need to grow as well. It's a privilege to play the game at such a high level, and it's a privilege to be able to video/photograph it as well.

I 100% disagree. Its the Pros job to make the sport look PROFESSIONAL.

Its the Media's job to show what the sport actually is.

Maybe the Pros should take some responsibility.

I've heard Feldberg swearing on camera and in person.

Something about personal responsibility and pots/kettles.

Elmex is referring to Feldy's FB posts regarding McFly's coverage lol
bahahaha sorry Elmex! i am done here as i have an early day tomorrow. wanted to at least come here and give you guys a first hand view as many of you here are like me...a fan of the sport. i will pick up with all the negative things others have to say about me and the people i am helping this weekend on Monday when i get back to work and have more time.

Exactly....i dont see people blaming the media for geno smith's comments/actions. Sounds like dave is mad his actions were put on youtube for everyone to see

bahahaha sorry Elmex! i am done here as i have an early day tomorrow. wanted to at least come here and give you guys a first hand view as many of you here are like me...a fan of the sport. i will pick up with all the negative things others have to say about me and the people i am helping this weekend on Monday when i get back to work and have more time.

i would have reemed me harder. i think you handled it well.

and yes i was talking about feldberg

and thanks for the insight...people will still be talking about "the chair" on monday i assure you hahaha

You obviously didn't read into my statement much.

I don't support unprofessional behavior. It's poor form, and I edit it out. In fact, I'll pretty much edit them out of everything if I didn't like how they acted, or how they treat others off the camera. That's the beauty of editing your own footage.

And yes, we (media) still need to know our audience, because the responsibility to show footage that anyone can view is up to us. Period.

You obviously didn't read into my statement much.

I don't support unprofessional behavior. It's poor form, and I edit it out. In fact, I'll pretty much edit them out of everything if I didn't like how they acted, or how they treat others off the camera. That's the beauty of editing your own footage.

And yes, we (media) still need to know our audience, because the responsibility to show footage that anyone can view is up to us. Period.

Fair enough.

However if the Pros are out there swearing, why shouldnt he film it and then release it?

Perhaps it will make them clean up their act.

Feldberg saying McFly should be banned from filming PDGA events is childish and hypocritical.

If the pros are swearing maybe they should be banned.

He basically wants to pass the responsibility away from the pros and place it on the filmers.

I for one think its important to show the sport for what it is.

The public can see who the real professionals on the course are.

Feldberg is just pissed because all his previous bad behavior is recorded and saved for all to see.

Now he cant get any corporate sponsors. :|

Oh Gatorade wont sponsor you guys because of some F Bombs on camera?

Yeah, clearly thats whats holding us back.

A couple of things, If the PDGA is worried about the image that is portrayed in videos then they need to do one or both of the following...

1. Pay a company 100% of the cost to tape, edit, and distribute (online or physical media). They paid for it, they call the shots.

2. Or enforce a standard, if you cross a line in a video or in front of a gallery or on social media... expect to be fined or suspended or both.

I take the stance that Marty, CCDG, DGplanet, and all the other videographers are journalists who have complete freedom to decide what to show or what not to show.

Exceptions, if the contract Marty or anyone agrees to sign has language in it reading "must strive to show the sport in a positive light" or something similar,(first never sign a contract giving up your editorial control) the PDGA is fully, and rightfully, and at anytime can sue you, ban you, or blackball you from the media rights.

We are at a crossroads regarding video coverage for this sport. The PDGA needs to seriously think about what it wants in this matter.

I love watching the videos and seeing human reactions from our top pros. But don't blame the videographers for capturing what happens.

Latest posts