• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Minnesota Majestic

Watching Geisinger in the skins exhibition not get his shot quite right and throw basically a 500+ foot cut roller on the driving range hole made me want to quit disc golf.

I felt the exact same. For him, that was a bad shot, cut rolling past the 500' sign. Ugh... if only his lifestyle allowed him to tour nationally. We'd all be in for a treat. :)

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned, Cale missed 4 putts inside the circle on the last 9 holes and only lost to Alex by 3. Cale also had the craziest skip OB on hole 19 (island hole), skipping his tee shot off of the concrete under the basket and skipping 35' OB.

One last point. How crazy is it to have an A-Tier and have zero Open Women? I found that very peculiar.

One last point. How crazy is it to have an A-Tier and have zero Open Women? I found that very peculiar.

I found that slightly odd as well, but how many are actually touring at the moment, especially for A Tiers and not NTs? Honest question, no statement there.

However, the local scene for amateurs is definitely growing albeit still small and tight-knit.

Nice win, Josh. I played the second round of MN Ams with you earlier this month, where I proceeded to play very poorly. Ha. Don't sell yourself short.

And yeah, considering it's not possible to bag Advanced.... well, whatever. :)

When you hear top heavy pay outs in Advanced you would assume instead of the normal 51% payout it would be 33% or maybe as low as 20% of players, but paying out 5 of 72 players in Advanced? If that number was posted ahead of time there would have been at least 3 car loads from IA that wouldn't have made the trip. Especially since we had to play Oakwood instead of any of the other awesome courses around the Twin Cities. No wonder so many MN players come to IA to play tournies.

Flame away with the "play betters" and "at least you had funs" but this year Cale took over & was supposed to change the reputation of the Majestic & its payouts. It sure did for the Pro's by taking all the Am's money and padding those top payouts.

When you hear top heavy pay outs in Advanced you would assume instead of the normal 51% payout it would be 33% or maybe as low as 20% of players, but paying out 5 of 72 players in Advanced? If that number was posted ahead of time there would have been at least 3 car loads from IA that wouldn't have made the trip. Especially since we had to play Oakwood instead of any of the other awesome courses around the Twin Cities. No wonder so many MN players come to IA to play tournies.

Flame away with the "play betters" and "at least you had funs" but this year Cale took over & was supposed to change the reputation of the Majestic & its payouts. It sure did for the Pro's by taking all the Am's money and padding those top payouts.

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be this.

Your players pack which wasn't too bad. 3 discs, towel, etc was your payout. The extra payout for the top few was the "added" cash they brought in. I'm not going to take the time to crunch the numbers, but it makes sense at a quick glance. IMO, it's a nice way to do am payouts.

^^
For you, because you now play for cash. As an AM who plays 25-30 tournies a year, I would attend exactly Zero events that paid out this way, so would most. The players pack was a half used calendar, a couple stickers, 3 average to below discs and a cardboard box. Considering Steve Rico probably donated the Legacy, Cale probably got the Prodidgy for free, I'm not sure how that adds up to $70+. And the logic behind it is flawed, there are plenty of events that pay out far down the line & still provide the same players pack if not better.

Just saying that everyone should make this info available ahead of time so we can make decisions for ourselves about which events to play. Not say "top heavy payout" meaning 5 of 72.

^^
Totally agree with you. Make payout info available ahead of time and let us decide whether to play or not.

Aren't they required to payout at least 40% in Am divisions or has that changed?

Aren't they required to payout at least 40% in Am divisions or has that changed?

With what people are saying about players packs for this Event - they could be considered doing 100% payout - alot of BIG Events, Worlds, Memorial, GBO, etc. are already using this format with several other Events around the country going to the TRUE AM format (including several in the state I live in)......Oversized Players packs are your payout....most Events offer this info at signup or on flyers so players can make their own choice....

Expect the minimum PDGA standard for payouts ... or do not play.

What is the going values of 54 holes of competitive Disc Golf?

Disc Golf organizers should make money. More money than any of the participants.

It shouldn't be expected that a volunteer should go get sponsors, run the tournament and hand out a bunch of free stuff. It is not sustainable or fair to TDs, unless everyone who plays in tournaments takes their turn to run a tournament. (and this will never happen)

See you on the course.

Cale did state that it was his goal to bring the Majestic back to NT status. If that is really your goal then you have to build something that people from elsewhere want to come play. Not just the same forgiving cliques of athletic twin cities stoners over and over and over.

I do think people should expect the minimum if it's not stated. But I think if an business or organizer wants to build something they might want to consider going over the top (ex: Jeremy Rusco).

Last edited:
Last year the Minnesota players roasted Gotta Go and Fairway Flyerz/Mike Snelson for not paying what everyone expected at their events. Everyone was so excited to have Cale take over the Majestic. The players got what they wished for, and yet, they still seem unhappy.

Last year the Minnesota players roasted Gotta Go and Fairway Flyerz/Mike Snelson for not paying what everyone expected at their events. Everyone was so excited to have Cale take over the Majestic. The players got what they wished for, and yet, they still seem unhappy.

Just to be clear I'm not unhappy. Like millions of others I run races and all I get is a shirt. I was just commenting on goals.

I never post, and I don't really play competitively anymore but I had to respond to some of the criticism here.

The entitlement of disc golfers (especially ams) is pretty mind boggling sometimes. I can't think of any other recreational activity (which is exactly what playing as an amateur is) that gives you *more* than the entrance fee back just for showing up. Softball leagues, volleyball, trap shooting, etc etc all take an entrance fee and you might get a t-shirt and a grill-out at the end of the year. Why do amateur disc golfers think they should end the weekend with a net gain on monetary investment, especially if they finish in the middle of the pack? If you're playing in tournaments to get free discs and funny money payouts, you'd be much better served opening up Chrome and ordering exactly what you wanted. You're paying the service of the TD. You're paying for the courses. You're paying for the chance to measure yourself against other players around your level. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

I seriously don't see any justification for whining about not getting big payouts in Am, when you already are all but guaranteed over half of your money back in the players packs. I just don't understand.

I thought the mini Trotter boxes we got were pretty cool. Makes me want to order the bigger ones now.

I'll step aside now though as I have no horse in this race. Trophy- only, deep payouts, whatever....I was playing regardless. Wanted to see how I stacked up in Advanced.

I never post, and I don't really play competitively anymore but I had to respond to some of the criticism here.

The entitlement of disc golfers (especially ams) is pretty mind boggling sometimes. I can't think of any other recreational activity (which is exactly what playing as an amateur is) that gives you *more* than the entrance fee back just for showing up. Softball leagues, volleyball, trap shooting, etc etc all take an entrance fee and you might get a t-shirt and a grill-out at the end of the year. Why do amateur disc golfers think they should end the weekend with a net gain on monetary investment, especially if they finish in the middle of the pack? If you're playing in tournaments to get free discs and funny money payouts, you'd be much better served opening up Chrome and ordering exactly what you wanted. You're paying the service of the TD. You're paying for the courses. You're paying for the chance to measure yourself against other players around your level. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

I seriously don't see any justification for whining about not getting big payouts in Am, when you already are all but guaranteed over half of your money back in the players packs. I just don't understand.

Yes yes and yes. I bet if you went through my comment history youd find exactly this several times.

Latest posts