• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pro Worlds full- Another registration fiasco?

Hahahaha proud of minimums ... if you are a 60 Y.O. man or a 40 Y.O. woman you should be proud that you played in 1 PDGA event. Pat on back.

Why thank you. I had to get one in before major surgery takes me out of the game for the rest of the year.

Maybe it would be best if you don't get old.

Or it will fill with Rich Pros who suck lol

It could be, but if you were a traveling pro and wanted to see bigger payouts, you would support TDs who actually tested the demand of tournament golfers, instead of resorting to tier registration or points earned.

Here's my proposal:

Based on the previous years points from http://www.pdga.com/players/stats?Y...er=All&Bracket=Open&Country=All&StateProv=All

1. Determine the highest points accrued for the previous year in each division, for MPO 2014 it was 20233 (Paul Ulibarri).
  2. By February 1, issue invitations to any PDGA member with 10% of the high value in item 1, in the case of MPO 2014 this is 2023 points.
In a world where you're sorting by points and demand is outstripping supply for spots, that's unnecessary. Just leave the invite quota where it is (or hell, get rid of it as that magic number will be meaningless), have players who want to go to Worlds put down a $50 deposit on their entry fee. Then sort them out by points.

If there are 144 MPO spots, then the 144 MPO entrants with the most points who put down a deposit get a three week period which the spot is held for them in which they can claim it by paying the balance of their entry fee. Everyone below that line gets their deposit back or can sit on the wait list. If any of the lucky 144 don't complete their entry, their spots fall to the next people in line by points.

[*]Everything can be gamed, and although unlikely, this system could be gamed by hitting a large number (huge really) of local events regardless of event quality.
[/LIST]
I don't call that gaming the system. I call that working ones butt off. Those people deserve a shot a Worlds more than the guy who plays the previous years Worlds and maybe 1-2 NT events or A-tiers just to get his invite points. Under a system where its important to get as many points as possible and not just past a certain number, the latter guy knows he can't just rest on that strategy anymore.

The problem with utilizing any system in which total points is paramount is that it penalizes the players who happen to live in PDGA-poor areas. If the best I can do in a 300 mile radius around my home is a couple B-tiers and a handful of C-tiers, I have zero shot at making the top half of points earners, let alone the top 144. In that case, why am I busting my hump trying to get to these events and earn points at all? And isn't it likely that there are a few hundred others who might look at it the same way?

That seems counter-productive to one of the PDGA's ultimate goals, and that's increasing overall participation.

Up until the past 5-6 years, the top 20% or 25% of point earners in a state in a division got invites to adjust for areas that had fewer opportunities to earn points. That was maybe fairer but much more complicated. Plus, once the majors including Worlds awarded points, even those in point poor areas could enter events like BG Ams and earn enough points by doing reasonably well in just one of those.

In a world where you're sorting by points and demand is outstripping supply for spots, that's unnecessary. Just leave the invite quota where it is (or hell, get rid of it as that magic number will be meaningless), have players who want to go to Worlds put down a $50 deposit on their entry fee. Then sort them out by points.
Yes, agreed. Either way works as long as it's transparent and prioritizes great pllay.
I don't call that gaming the system. I call that working ones butt off. Those people deserve a shot a Worlds more than the guy who plays the previous years Worlds and maybe 1-2 NT events or A-tiers just to get his invite points. Under a system where its important to get as many points as possible and not just past a certain number, the latter guy knows he can't just rest on that strategy anymore.
Well, I agree the person hitting lots of events to earn some points for Worlds is paying their dues. That's the touchy subject though, at some point you have to decide whether the priority for Worlds is the lowest scoring golfers in the world or towards the more inclusive "everyone who works hard enough should go".

I think Worlds should showcase the lowest scoring golfers over the hardest working ones. I'm just 1 vote though.

Latest posts