• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Ledgestone Insurance Open presented by Discraft

There are rocks on the shoreline of the lake that are dangerous and we give relief from the rocks if the disc comes to rest on the rocks. You can take lateral relief to come off of the rocks onto land.

i do this at hawk hollow as well where the streambed is steep and/or lined with thorns.

The current plan is Eureka Temp will be played by MPO only. Course assignments for other divisions are still being finalized.

Thanks for the kind words. I saw the thread about making competition more difficult and considered chiming in. I will say that I completely disagree with making baskets smaller, mainly because it would be too hard to replace all of the courses in the country with smaller baskets. I think the best way to make putting harder is to make baskets riskier. It doesn't require a terrain change, but it would just require getting OB near baskets.

Case in point: this last year at Ledgestone during the third round, McBeth had an 80 footer on hole 14 at Northwood. OB was behind the basket about 20 feet. I stood right next to him before he putted and he said, "I want to run this putt but your OB is too close." He wasn't really mad but was just commenting about it. He proceeded to run the putt anyways and he buried the putt. For someone like McBeth, running a putt 25 feet past the basket is irrelevant because he will make the comeback putt. In this case, I at least made him think about laying up the putt because of the risk behind the basket. It didn't affect him, but the placement of OB around baskets (reasonable distance) is in my opinion an effective way to make putting more difficult: nerves come into play more and that causes more missed putts.

Looking forward to watching! So two points:
- We'll be able to watch live somehow?
- The thing about putting "harder" I think is more about putting being more exciting on camera for the audience. This is a great example of a putt I'm sure would make sweat roll down the brow of anyone, but on camera it may not have looked exciting at all.

You've created the excitement factor already, it may just be small tweaks to the camera work and commentating to get the audience to hold their breath. Good stuff here.

There are rocks on the shoreline of the lake that are dangerous and we give relief from the rocks if the disc comes to rest on the rocks. You can take lateral relief to come off of the rocks onto land.

Still, what is lateral relief? Is it perpendicular to the shoreline or is it on an arc that's the same distance from the basket?

Lateral relief is the same type of relief that one finds from an OB line. In the case here, rather than getting 1m perpendicular relief from the water's edge, you get 1m perpendicular relief marked from the rock lines's edge with the grass.

I'd be tempted to be the lowest rated player in MPM or MA1 just to play Westwood. I played that course with someone else from my division last year right after the final tourney round, and loved it. I actually liked ICC, but I can see why it was dropped. Good riddance to Washington Park DGC! Would much rather see ICC as a backup. I like having the first day be MPO/FPO so the rest of us scrubs can go watch them play! Last year, I watched the FPO play Westwood and was walking up to #6(?) tee when Paige hit her ace ... I saw her throw but couldn't see the basket. Then went over to Northwood to watch MPO.

Keep up the good work, Nate!

I'd be tempted to be the lowest rated player in MPM or MA1 just to play Westwood. I played that course with someone else from my division last year right after the final tourney round, and loved it. I actually liked ICC, but I can see why it was dropped. Good riddance to Washington Park DGC! Would much rather see ICC as a backup. I like having the first day be MPO/FPO so the rest of us scrubs can go watch them play! Last year, I watched the FPO play Westwood and was walking up to #6(?) tee when Paige hit her ace ... I saw her throw but couldn't see the basket. Then went over to Northwood to watch MPO.

Yeah, one of our goals is to allow AM players the chance to watch the pros on Thursday.

We think the schedule works best for everyone!

Any chance you have given/will give a peek at what the fundraiser discs will be this year?

We should be able to release what they will be in the next few weeks. We have some pretty cool stuff in the works!

One tease I will give is that we are doing a disc in CT plastic that has never been run before....

Does anyone have any good travel tips to make coming to this event a bit more affordable? I can get to the Chicago area cheaply, but I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to work things out from there. Is a rental car the way to go?

Does anyone have any good travel tips to make coming to this event a bit more affordable? I can get to the Chicago area cheaply, but I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to work things out from there. Is a rental car the way to go?

Personally I would rent a car because you're gonna need it anyways to get from place to place and course to course during the tourney and its only a 2 and a half hour drive You could take Amtrak to Peoria or Bloomington, but I'm not sure on the cost. You could also try a bus company for 40 bucks or so.

If you wanted to get dirt cheap you might try asking for a ride from somebody else from the area.

With all the different divisions and course assignments, finding rides can be challenging. If you're traveling solo, a rental car will make the trip much more enjoyable.

Also, remember that most rounds for players will be tee times, so carpooling or finding someone to hitch a ride with is going to even more of a hassle than it normally would be.
*EDIT: changed statement from all rounds to most rounds. On Sunday, players other than MPO will play a shotgun start, but pools will be split in half (8AM or noon), so it will still be an issue to plan ahead for carpooling.

Last edited:
First wave of signups starts tonight for anyone who sponsors a hole. More info here-http://lisopen.com/register/
2/01/2016 6:00 PM Anyone who wants to sponsor a hole
2/15/2016 6:00 PM MPO players rated 990 or above
2/16/2016 6:00 PM All divisions for clients of Ledgestone Insurance, and members of Team Discraft
2/18/2016 6:00 PM All divisions
Registration will take place at discgolfscene.com
All times CST
Refund Policy »