• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 MPO Worlds - Augusta

It was $1,000 and he took it down.

As I commented on his thread, he should offer it to the Hall of Fame if he no longer wants it.

If someone is willing to pay $500 or $1000 or whatever for a frickin' putter, RW would be foolish NOT to take it.

I encourage everyone to check out this vid (as Johnny also linked):

If you go to the 1:22:00 mark, that will set you up for Ricky's entrance. His interview goes almost to the end.

I've seen tons of Ricky off the course in interviews and other vids, and this is the man behind that stone cold competitor. He's easily one of the most likable players in the game. Kudos to Smashboxx for the format, because it made the interview that much more enjoyable. :thmbup:

Congrats again to Ricky and Paige, who I'll be tuning in for as well.

I'm happy to see that someone other than myself thinks JohnE foot faults all the time and doesn't called out.

Its a step putt. Paul Ulibari does it all the time. There's a video somewhere that shows the slow-motion, and although its close, the disc does leave his hand before the foot touches the ground.

Haven't kept up with this thread, so forgive me if I'm being redundant, but did anyone else feel JEM complaining about people moving 100' or more away was ridiculous? IF he wants to make more $ and IF he wants a larger gallery, he's going to have to get used to it and stop being such a cat.

Its a step putt. Paul Ulibari does it all the time. There's a video somewhere that shows the slow-motion, and although its close, the disc does leave his hand before the foot touches the ground.

Depends upon which putt was shown. Ulibarri generally is good about releasing the disc in time, but there were a couple of times where McCray was close, and on one of those times I'm sure he foot-faulted.

As I've said before, it's like the bang-bang play at first base in baseball. And if other players don't call it, whether out of fear or apathy, then the only solution is to ban step putts entirely.

By the way, Ricky had putt-fall (or whatever they call it) and was expecting to be called on it, but the others didn't bother. If that had been McBeth, he'd have called it on himself, and IMHO Ricky should've done the same. The penalty is to have to re-throw and no further penalty for a first offense, so likely there was no harm in the non-call. But c'mon guys, you gotta call it for the sake of the integrity of the game...

Haven't kept up with this thread, so forgive me if I'm being redundant, but did anyone else feel JEM complaining about people moving 100' or more away was ridiculous? IF he wants to make more $ and IF he wants a larger gallery, he's going to have to get used to it and stop being such a cat.

Completely agree. He has got to stop whining about that and stop being so easily distracted. In fact, disc golfers and golfers in general need to stop being so freaking finicky about distractions in general. Tommy Lasorda says it best:

It's common to see posters in forums and social media talk about JohnE's poor behavior. So it's not surprising at all that he would complain about the gallery.

It's common to see posters in forums and social media talk about JohnE's poor behavior. So it's not surprising at all that he would complain about the gallery.

Huh? You lost me. Are you saying since I think it is weak that he is so touchy about movement, and because I pointed it out, he will be even MORE touchy? Please explain.

By the way, Ricky had putt-fall (or whatever they call it) and was expecting to be called on it, but the others didn't bother. If that had been McBeth, he'd have called it on himself, and IMHO Ricky should've done the same. The penalty is to have to re-throw and no further penalty for a first offense, so likely there was no harm in the non-call. But c'mon guys, you gotta call it for the sake of the integrity of the game...

I don't believe you can call a penalty on yourself anymore. It was entirely up to the card.

Depends upon which putt was shown. Ulibarri generally is good about releasing the disc in time, but there were a couple of times where McCray was close, and on one of those times I'm sure he foot-faulted.

As I've said before, it's like the bang-bang play at first base in baseball. And if other players don't call it, whether out of fear or apathy, then the only solution is to ban step putts entirely.

You can't call foot faults on yourself.

If that had been McBeth, he'd have called it on himself, and IMHO Ricky should've done the same.

I'm almost certain Self-calls are no longer allowed.

I'm looking for the rule.....

Huh? You lost me. Are you saying since I think it is weak that he is so touchy about movement, and because I pointed it out, he will be even MORE touchy? Please explain.

I may be reading it wrong, but I think he was saying that since his behavior has been touched on more than a few times in the past, seeing it at Worlds wasn't surprising. Not saying this is accurate, as I've never been around the guy in person.

Based on your first opinion, I would say if that's how he feels about galleries in general I doubt he wants larger ones. JohnE is a Masters/Open player. He's definitely a contender, but he's not McBeth or Wysocki as the main fan draws. It appears he wants to win, not be famous. What I'm saying is, his actions and attitudes aren't going to impact the payout. So he'll do what he thinks is best for his headspace.

As others have mentioned you cannot call a foot fault on yourself. "A player shall receive a warning for the first stance violation in the round. Subsequent stance violations in the same round shall incur a one-throw penalty. Stance violations may not be called or seconded by the thrower."

Also, the solution is not to ban step putting. The solution is to let it go and stop worrying about it. People don't fail to call foot faults out of apathy, they don't call foot faults because you aren't supposed to call a penalty on another player unless they have clearly violated the rules. Not if you think maybe it was. Not if its close and you couldn't really tell. If you need video replay to determine if there was a foot fault... LET IT GO.

The CCDG guys brought it up during the round. Why bother calling a foot fault on a 15ft or less putt, on probably the best putter in the world, because a log rolled on him. If you look at the vid you can see, what I am assuming is Rick asking JohnE why he didn't call it. The look on JE's face was basically, "Why bother wasting time."...

...Or maybe its a big Trilogy conspiracy...:\

Last edited:
If someone is willing to pay $500 or $1000 or whatever for a frickin' putter, RW would be foolish NOT to take it.
Completely agree. He won the premier event in the sport and took home 12 grand. These guys play for the love of the game and I don't begrudge them any opportunity they can find to supplement their income.

As others have mentioned you cannot call a foot fault on yourself. "A player shall receive a warning for the first stance violation in the round. Subsequent stance violations in the same round shall incur a one-throw penalty. Stance violations may not be called or seconded by the thrower."

Ricky could have called a courtesy violation on the others on the card for failing to make the falling putt call. Wouldn't it have been fun to see the reactions to that?

Latest posts