• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 MPO Worlds - Augusta

Chalk it up to several factors, but there's a palpable sense of "meh" about this year's Worlds. Having said that, I'd like to congratulate Ricky and Paige on their wins, and to Val and Paul for strong finishes, at least to keep the leaders on their toes. And of course, thank you to all the film crews busting their butts out there, Smashboxx, CCDG, and Jomez...etc, giving us amazing coverage.

Just wondering who would have come out on top if it have been the old Worlds format. A 8 or 10 round tournament would have been much more fun. Just doesn't feel like the Worlds of past. This years Worlds just seemed like a cookie cutter format.

Barring injury or a catastrophe, Ricky still wins by 7+ strokes/throws, IMHO. The interesting question is what the FPO would've done with two more rounds.

I agree that 5.5 or 6 rounds at Worlds should be restored.

Hard to say, since it would have also been on easier courses.

I was going to say something to that effect. These courses have to be some of the straight up toughest ever played for Worlds. The top guys obviously tore it up and all finished way under par, but still.

As ever, the tournament coverage was stellar. Jomez, CCDG, and the Prodigy people all did outstanding film work, and the commentary was good (especially the CCDG commentators :thmbup:).

Only thing that could be improved is to do some tough investigative journalism and solve the mystery of McBeth's Aviar3/Aviar P&A disc.... ;)

I don't plug our podcast on here very often. I kinda feel like everyone here knows about it already. But if you haven't watched or listened to our Day 4 wrap up show, we get THE Ricky interview about 3 hours after he was crowned champion (he was staying at our hotel). It is a very fun interview with Rick, had me laughing in the background quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=G1MF3PvdL1M

Barring injury or a catastrophe, Ricky still wins by 7+ strokes/throws, IMHO. The interesting question is what the FPO would've done with two more rounds.

I agree that 5.5 or 6 rounds at Worlds should be restored.

After watching Ricky this year I believe he would have embarrassed the field by 10 or more strokes. I don't think the number of rounds makes any difference to him... he loves competing.

I think that the payouts of recent worlds shows the growth that we have been seeing the last few years. Rick has made more (pure tournament winnings) with his 2 worlds than all 4 of Paul's combined

Ricky - 2017 ($12,000.00) 2016 ($10,000.00)
Paul - 2015 ($6,000.00) 2015 ($5,000.00) 2014 ($5,000.00) 2014 ($5,500.00)

I don't plug our podcast on here very often. I kinda feel like everyone here knows about it already. But if you haven't watched or listened to our Day 4 wrap up show, we get THE Ricky interview about 3 hours after he was crowned champion (he was staying at our hotel). It is a very fun interview with Rick, had me laughing in the background quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=G1MF3PvdL1M

Mind if I ask what time the interview with Rick starts?

I'm not sure you'll see that kind of growth in the winners payout the next few years. 2016 was Emporia, Dynamic Discs is going to ensure that things are going to be done right. They've done a ton to put that area on the map recently and seem to have a great relationship with the community...something that has to exist for any city to make a world championship what everybody body expects. This year with the format change and everything the pdga pretty much ran this one on their own I believe. Not much of a chance payout is gonna dip too much below 2016. Not saying I disagree, but the last 2 years might be very generous. Let's see what happens when we get back to a more regular rotation of cities hosting and their ability to scrounge up the cash.

I think that the payouts of recent worlds shows the growth that we have been seeing the last few years. Rick has made more (pure tournament winnings) with his 2 worlds than all 4 of Paul's combined

Barring injury or a catastrophe, Ricky still wins by 7+ strokes/throws, IMHO.

Not sure I agree. Ricky could of had a bad round and Paul could of kept up what he was doing in Round 4 and it would of been much closer going in to the last round or final 9.

I'll add in that I'm glad they went to four rounds, this will really expand where future worlds can be held. Although in the future I'd like to see more of a balance between wooded/open.

I'll add in that I'm glad they went to four rounds, this will really expand where future worlds can be held. Although in the future I'd like to see more of a balance between wooded/open.

The two courses this past weekend may be the most balanced between wooded and open you will see. The challenge is the "wooded" courses need to have such deep woods that the huge arms don't find ways to throw over all of the fairways instead of down them.

Not sure I agree. Ricky could of had a bad round and Paul could of kept up what he was doing in Round 4 and it would of been much closer going in to the last round or final 9.

I hear ya, but from what I was seeing, Ricky was in control all the way, especially the last two rounds. I just didn't see Paul catching up, even with another 18, 27, or 36 holes...

Or could 2017 be a result of having no age protected fields soaking up added cash? Makes 2016 more impressive. I'm honestly not sure if added cash is done differently for Worlds I just assume it works like other events.

Enough about the players. I want to know which holes performed the best.

The size of the dots on the charts on the following posts show the impact each hole had on sorting the players in the A pool. Solid dots indicate the holes sorted players and thus reduced the number of tied final scores. Hollow dots indicate the holes actually created more tied total scores.

That doesn't necessarily mean these are bad holes. This was an extremely difficult test for holes. All the players fall within a narrow range of skills, and there are not many weaknesses for any hole to expose. Also, the players were already being sorted by 35 other holes on top-quality courses. All I would say is, if the designers wanted to tinker with some holes, those with the biggest hollow dots would be the safest to mess with.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• GoDots.png
    GoDots.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 166
  • GO18.jpg
    GO18.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 170
I just heard that Ricky put up for auction his Dagger putter that he just won Worlds with (on Dollar Disc Golf Auctions). Winning bid was $500.

I just heard that Ricky put up for auction his Dagger putter that he just won Worlds with (on Dollar Disc Golf Auctions). Winning bid was $500.

It was $1,000 and he took it down.

As I commented on his thread, he should offer it to the Hall of Fame if he no longer wants it.

Latest posts