• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 MPO Worlds - Augusta

Point taken, but he was otherworldly and Ricky has overtaken him as best in the world. Sucks that expectations are that high, and possibly unfair. But I want to see him be that crazy dominant 2015 version again.

It was just a month ago that Paul dominated the field in the Masters Cup. And was one throw away from winning the BSF. I wouldn't worry about him too much. If Paul dominates the European Open then we could easily say he's the best in the world again.

It was just a month ago that Paul dominated the field in the Masters Cup. And was one throw away from winning the BSF. I wouldn't worry about him too much. If Paul dominates the European Open then we could easily say he's the best in the world again.

Here's a few people here that seem to only want Paul to win time after time. It's an impressive feat. Is it just that people that weren't there to witness clump reign, would like to see Paul do that?

I for one like a shakeup. I like seeing multiple names at the top and pushing each other. Although I'd be fine seeing another shoot off with Paul and Rick next year, I'd be excited to see a new name too.

From the vids I have watched Paul was not hitting lines like he normally does. He missed some putts, but seemed to be putting well. These courses make you pay for a missed line and he was sawing stuff off worse than I have seen in recent memory. Ricky is a beast and we are lucky to have this rivalry.

I liked this format for Worlds. 4 rounds is plenty. These looked like World's level courses to me.

Never seen Paul miss so many lines off the tee, mostly releasing left of the target. His scrambling and putting was phenomenal.

Really enjoyed the CCDG videos. I know I'm a tad bit hard on Ian's vocal delivery (and no personal flame, or anything devious intended, just voicing my opinion!) but...Cory...wow....he has quickly moved to my top 3 disc golf commentators. His clear vocal delivery combined with astute knowledge of fairways, throws, etc, was very impressive in their world's coverage. Well done!

I'm guessing part of the issue is it seems Cory's been the one traveling while Ian is still back home; Ian's made a couple references to Skype, so I'd guess they're skyping him in, which is seriously going to mess with the sound quality.

That's productive.

Do you feel that the World Championship ought to be exactly the same format is every other A-Tier? That it should not differentiate itself? Did I suggest that it was an easy undertaking?

"This beer isn't my favorite."

"Then brew your own, asshat."

"Productive."

You compared this years Worlds to "any other C-Tier", then your suggestion to repair the damage is to go back to the same format we've seen for 20+ years. How is that "productive"? I applaud the TDs for trying a new format this year (by request of most players it seems) I've heard mostly positive feedback and commentary from players. The negative feedback has been on this MB from armchair TDs and officials before the event was even half over. Whatever.

I'm guessing part of the issue is it seems Cory's been the one traveling while Ian is still back home; Ian's made a couple references to Skype, so I'd guess they're skyping him in, which is seriously going to mess with the sound quality.

Yup Cory runs the show when I can't travel. Does a phenomenal job! CCDG wouldn't cover half of what we do without that guy. MVP status. Agreed he's great on commentary too!

Our audio should be pretty comparable in rounds 2-4. We do it over skype, but each record locally (him to a Zoom, me to Audition), and match up those audio files.

A lot of the complaints about Worlds not being distinguished from other tournaments could say something about the quality of the other tournaments. I hate comparing to ball golf but here I go. Lots of PGA events are filler. But they also have the Memorial and The Players and other tournaments that are top-notch events, just not majors. The majors are most distinguished by name, not features (apart from the one that never moves location). And the one that sometimes sets itself apart, the US Open, tends to do so by making questionable decisions (the equivalent, for example, of making every putt a death putt on every hole).

If Worlds has lost some distinction I think it's because overall tournament quality has risen. BSF is to Worlds, like The Players is to the US Open. It's quality spread throughout and hopefully quality at Worlds as well, even if that quality doesn't seem above and beyond special.

A lot of the complaints about Worlds not being distinguished from other tournaments could say something about the quality of the other tournaments. I hate comparing to ball golf but here I go. Lots of PGA events are filler. But they also have the Memorial and The Players and other tournaments that are top-notch events, just not majors. The majors are most distinguished by name, not features (apart from the one that never moves location). And the one that sometimes sets itself apart, the US Open, tends to do so by making questionable decisions (the equivalent, for example, of making every putt a death putt on every hole).

If Worlds has lost some distinction I think it's because overall tournament quality has risen. BSF is to Worlds, like The Players is to the US Open. It's quality spread throughout and hopefully quality at Worlds as well, even if that quality doesn't seem above and beyond special.

On the note of losing distinction - For me it was reducing the amount of rounds and the lack of live coverage. All discussed to no end in this thread.

Here is how the top 4 FPO finishers got there.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FPORace.png
    FPORace.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 249
One thing that struck me numerous times watching the footage is that a lot of the times spectators are lounging smack dab right where the expected great shot landing zones are. I swear I have never seen more scuttling out of the way than this tourney. It is the world championships for chrissakes. Manage the crowds please.

On the note of losing distinction - For me it was reducing the amount of rounds and the lack of live coverage. All discussed to no end in this thread.

I encourage you to listen to feedback from the actual competitors regarding the distinction of this year's Worlds. It may have been the best Worlds ever for them for amenities, flymart, players packs, entertainment, etc. Your gripe is strictly non-attendee spectator based which is not top priority IMO.

Yup Cory runs the show when I can't travel. Does a phenomenal job! CCDG wouldn't cover half of what we do without that guy. MVP status. Agreed he's great on commentary too!

"Johnny Disc Golf" has really stepped into his own as an announcer. He can do both color and play-by-play, and his inflection seems to have no particular regional influence, except maybe his 'totally' in response to Ian's insight which is really nothing.

Perhaps a 3-man booth with Big Jerm to give a pro's perspective? :popcorn:

I encourage you to listen to feedback from the actual competitors regarding the distinction of this year's Worlds. It may have been the best Worlds ever for them for amenities, flymart, players packs, entertainment, etc. Your gripe is strictly non-attendee spectator based which is not top priority IMO.

Amenities? Flymart? Players packs? Entertainment? Who did you talk to that said ANY of that?

Amenities? Flymart? Players packs? Entertainment? Who did you talk to that said ANY of that?

Nobody, I said it "MAY" have been the best Worlds ever because of those things, but you chose to grade its distinction solely on the number of rounds played and live coverage. There is more to the Worlds experience than your personal entertainment.

Nobody, I said it "MAY" have been the best Worlds ever because of those things, but you chose to grade its distinction solely on the number of rounds played and live coverage. There is more to the Worlds experience than your personal entertainment.

Amenities?
-- Not sure what this means but we did get a free background check and pass to get into fort gordon for playing!
Flymart?
-- It was moved the day before the flymart to the IDGC, caused a giant mess of parking, and was unbelievably hot. Also, I barely saw anyone at the flymart.
Players packs?
-- We got coupons, a mini, and a cup.
Entertainment?
-- Not sure what this means but we did get a free BBQ dinner!

I didn't choose to grade anything based on live coverage, I was just asking whether your statement was based in any fact whatsoever or just baseless claims.

The problem with worlds is twofold:

1. We don't have the monetary support to have pro events exist without donators playing. Without donators, everyone is playing for their entry fee plus added cash. Pros don't like this because it makes it really hard to cash and make a living.

2. Reducing the number of rounds and making worlds less of a fun experience decreases the odds that a donator will travel to play. This worlds did not come close to filling up. The cash line was at 66 players and you had to get 52nd to get your money back. These are legitimate problems with worlds that shed light on its ability to sustain itself in the future.

Let me introduce a new topic:

Since the PDGA has determined that there should be quantitative standards for worlds (Ie 4 rounds, 2 courses, tee times, 4 days, ect), should the PDGA also have qualitative standards for worlds (meaning, should PDGA be allowed to use courses that have never been used in tournament play and that were put in shortly before worlds?)

"Johnny Disc Golf" has really stepped into his own as an announcer. He can do both color and play-by-play, and his inflection seems to have no particular regional influence, except maybe his 'totally' in response to Ian's insight which is really nothing.

Perhaps a 3-man booth with Sexton to give a pro's perspective? :popcorn:

FTFY:thmbup:

Latest posts