• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 DGPT Tour Championship Oct 18-21

Dickerson's rollaway OB on hole 18 at Ledgestone this summer, which allowed Sexton to walk the win in, or this railroad tie kerfluffle, which cost Nate 2 strokes? Either way, it's good that they each ended up the beneficiary once.

I always felt that the crazy anti-skip Chris had off the tee on 16 was the one that did him in, he played a great tournament and just had 2 butt-fugly breaks on 16 and 18.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm just really happy that Chris Dickerson got a big win on the national stage after winning so many slightly smaller tournaments this year. He's so fun to watch. I do love Nate Sexton like the rest of the disc golf world, but I am really happy for Chris.

Chris played great all weekend. He's been a force, look at all the top 10s at big events. Congrats to him finally sealing one.

I love watching Nate play. The format really showed that he doesn't just lay up and "play safe". You can't consider the OB the thing that lost him the tournament, you don't know if that changed his performance on the next few holes or if it changed the way other players played them either. It happened, he handled it as a true professional, and he fought for a chance to tie and take it to a playoff.

Nikko. Damn what an impressive year. Probably the most impressive since his USDGC. When he missed the long putt on 17 and knew what it meant you had to feel for him.

Kevin Jones was all over the place this round. Hard day for him. He's had flashes of brilliance. We'll see him again on the big stage.

Ricky. He almost had them ol raptor legs working and then somehow putted worse than I've ever seen him putt. He's human after all. Most importantly we made it through a whole tournament without someone on the internet complaining about a foot fault.

Going out of bounds cost Sexton one stroke, not a railroad tie (kerfuffle or not). He knew the gap was there. It has been demonstrated that the tie was missing all tournament. Arguments that the tie would have kept him inbounds or the call was incorrect are interwebz fodder, nothing more. This out of bounds, was no more or less fair, than any of the abundant OB all over the course.

Technically, since there was a gap in the "island" the entire tournament, with no defined line connecting the ties in the gap, there was no island the entire tournament. So I agree..if I'm going to push for Nate's disc to be in bounds, alot of other player's scores would need to be adjusted as well. TD accountability is just as important (if not more) as player accountability.

Technically, since there was a gap in the "island" the entire tournament, with no defined line connecting the ties in the gap, there was no island the entire tournament. So I agree..if I'm going to push for Nate's disc to be in bounds, alot of other player's scores would need to be adjusted as well. TD accountability is just as important (if not more) as player accountability.

I think you are looking for a technicality. If stakes line a fairway and is defined as OB, the space between stakes, with or without a line, is OB. Watching the action, Sexton is immediately aware he is OB. I am thinking he would have been the first one to speak up, if there was a shred of rule support, to claim in bounds.

No offense, but this argument is foolish. The design of the hole was clear. The execution was not but that should not negate the entire design of the hole. The ruling that Steve made, that the gap should be treated as if there is a tie there for the purposes of determining an OB line, was perfectly acceptable and is the same call for the situation that I think 99 out of 100 TDs make.

The tie was missing for the entire tournament. How no one, until that moment, realized that fact indicates to me that it was more than just a bit of TD/staff oversight. None of the players noticed the missing tie through the whole week? Not a one of them couldn't have noticed and brought it up at a players meeting or in a conversation with the TD? It's not like it was a break in a paint line well off the fairway where no throw would be expected to land and it's plausible no one would find it. It was a 6-8 foot gap in an island green boundary pin high and 35 feet from the basket.

Bad break for Nate that his throw landed where it landed, but those things happen. There were 17 holes worth of other opportunities to change his score, so it's not as though that one throw alone, and the subsequent ruling, was the ultimate difference in winning/losing. It's just a convenient thing to blame.

No offense, but this argument is foolish. The design of the hole was clear. The execution was not but that should not negate the entire design of the hole.

I would argue the execution wasn't at all unclear unless someone is trying to be willfully obtuse in examining or interpretation... which seems to also be the norm in reading rules. This could have been taken care of but certainly doesn't change the 100% obvious intent of the hole design. 100% obvious and questioning that is as I said willfully obtuse or just plain stupid.

I would argue the execution wasn't at all unclear unless someone is trying to be willfully obtuse in examining or interpretation... which seems to also be the norm in reading rules. This could have been taken care of but certainly doesn't change the 100% obvious intent of the hole design. 100% obvious and questioning that is as I said willfully obtuse or just plain stupid.

The execution was poor in that the railroad tie was allowed to be missing in the first place. Or that a line wasn't painted in its absence. That's an oversight by the tournament crew, but certainly not one that renders the entire design/intent of the hole moot.

Seems to me the only unanswered question is where is the tie? If it was there when the course was prepped (so no one saw need to paint a line) and only moved for a mower, shouldn't it be right there? I didn't see any sign of it sitting off to the side somewhere. Looked like it was moved away for reasons other than temporary mower access. And the way the grass was growing in the spot where the tie would have been located seems to support that.

Which brings me back to my point earlier about how no one noticed it was gone until Sexton's disc landed in the gap. Not one player, official, or spectator noticed the gap in the wall during the week?

Quirky breaks will always be part of disc golf.

Chris Dickerson had a putt a few holes earlier that hit dead center, bounced off the pole, and spat straight back out.

If that putt stays in, Nate going OB would not have mattered as much.

Pros:

Congrats to Chris Dickerson. He shot the hot round for all four rounds. That's an incredible performance. I look forward to seeing what he can accomplish in a full touring season.

The graphic overlays on the videos were awesome. The shot count tracker and post-hole shot charts legitimately improved my viewing experience.

Cons:

I think it goes without saying that an island more than anything needs to have clearly designated OB, and I can't believe that nobody noticed the lack of a line in the gap. That said, fluke mistakes happen, and I think the most correct ruling possible was made.

I don't understand why this tournament uses a format that essentially guarantees that several of the best players on Tour will play fewer than nine holes of truly meaningful disc golf. I understand the desire to do something different and ensure a competitive finish, but there are better ways. Even just having everyone play the first three rounds with the top 5 totals qualifying for a winner-takes-all Final Round would massively improve things.

The execution was poor in that the railroad tie was allowed to be missing in the first place. Or that a line wasn't painted in its absence. That's an oversight by the tournament crew, but certainly not one that renders the entire design/intent of the hole moot.

oh... I agree it was poor execution, just that it is still completely clear.

Lots of strange really and kinda unforgivable in an event of this magnitude.

Seems to me the only unanswered question is where is the tie? If it was there when the course was prepped (so no one saw need to paint a line) and only moved for a mower, shouldn't it be right there? I didn't see any sign of it sitting off to the side somewhere.

From the pics provided by robdeforge, it appears that the railroad ties are stacked two high for portions of the wall, and as high as four ties high for other portions of the wall. I expect that the persons tasked with mowing the grass simply picked up the tie and added it to a layer of the existing wall. That would be the sensible solution to get it out of the way. So, the missing tie is hiding in plain sight on the wall.

From the pics provided by robdeforge, it appears that the railroad ties are stacked two high for portions of the wall, and as high as four ties high for other portions of the wall. I expect that the persons tasked with mowing the grass simply picked up the tie and added it to a layer of the existing wall. That would be the sensible solution to get it out of the way. So, the missing tie is hiding in plain sight on the wall.

Witchcraft!

I would argue the execution wasn't at all unclear unless someone is trying to be willfully obtuse in examining or interpretation...

My main point of contention is, why tf do we need to interpret anything? Why can't the rules be black and white? You want an ob line, paint the damn lines. Anytime you leave it open for interpretation you're just going to cause problems...and as the money rises, these problems will be bigger and bigger. Why are we thinking like "we all know it's ob, if you virtually line up points a & b, and imagine a string connecting the point, how thick is the string, etc, etc," where it should simply be "see where your disc is on the line?"

Again.. for lower tier events, casual, etc, ok fine let the group chill over the matter and discuss, or perhaps chat with the td over a phone call, and he can hypothesize without even looking at it. But at the larger events, where serious money for these guys is on the line, rules need to be black and white.

Here's a prime example, I'm just waiting for someone to have to deal with... all those "strings "that define ob at some larger events. Whatever "holds" these strings in place, let's say one or more of those comes out, which causes those segments to increase or decrease the fairway or green. Please don't tell me the td would rightfully say... "it's not where the string is now, imagine where the string was when it was pegged in properly." rrrrright....

Stakes without paint is perfectly acceptable for million dollar events in ball golf and should be fine in disc golf. In fact, it has been used for many years even at Worlds. The key is the stakes or flags need to be close enough to run a string between them when a call needs to be made.

At 2007 Worlds, players got 10 meter tapes in their player pack. Thus, no excuse for not having a string to measure when needed on the four courses at Highbridge. The OB lines were either white stakes, flags, upside down cups with bottoms flush with the ground around sand traps for easy mowing and short sections of PVC pipe flush with the ground along gravel road beds, also for easy mowing and no problem if cars went off the road bed. No paint ever needed saving significant money and time for marking one course let alone four. The markings are permanent other than perhaps occasionally replacing some flags.

Latest posts