• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Las Vegas Challenge PDGA NT

As I posted, the note is circulating already. I'm pretty sure the intent was "live" meaning "live streaming video" but for the moment "live" by itself doesn't restrict the meaning to that.

That's a pretty bad analysis of the rule. For reference the rule says, "First round "Super Groups" for media purposes are NOT allowed unless for live coverage and previously approved by each player within the group and by the PDGA Tour Manager."

The supergroup is only allowed if it is for the PURPOSE of live coverage. It's pretty clear based on the wording of the rule that your interpretation is not supported. My interpretation is consistent with the explanation I received at the PDGA headquarters and from the tour manager this morning via email.

That's a pretty bad analysis of the rule. For reference the rule says, "First round "Super Groups" for media purposes are NOT allowed unless for live coverage and previously approved by each player within the group and by the PDGA Tour Manager."

The supergroup is only allowed if it is for the PURPOSE of live coverage. It's pretty clear based on the wording of the rule that your interpretation is not supported. My interpretation is consistent with the explanation I received at the PDGA headquarters and from the tour manager this morning via email.
I'm not disagreeing with the misunderstanding. Just saying that before we got clarification from the PDGA, there's no need to get upset about it. I'm on the Competition Committee and remember the intent was "live streaming coverage". But I can see how a TD might have missed this requirement when seeking a waiver to have a Super group, not reading or realizing the intent of the word "live" by itself.

I'm not disagreeing with the misunderstanding. Just saying that before we got clarification from the PDGA, there's no need to get upset about it. I'm on the Competition Committee and remember the intent was "live streaming coverage". But I can see how a TD might have missed this requirement when seeking a waiver to have a Super group, not reading or realizing the intent of the word "live" by itself.

That didn't happen here. The TD knew the rule required a waiver from the big dog because the tournament did not have live coverage. The TD received a waiver from the big dog. This was confirmed to me via email because I asked before I started posting publicly with misinformation.

Where I'm upset is that a representative of the PDGA is spreading mis-information about the new rule where there should be a coherent front to educate the public. So maybe instead of posting about how the term live in the rule you helped draft is meaningless, you could get a shared understanding from the competition committee about what the rule means, and make an educational post instead of a pedantic one.

That didn't happen here. The TD knew the rule required a waiver from the big dog because the tournament did not have live coverage. The TD received a waiver from the big dog. This was confirmed to me via email because I asked before I started posting publicly with misinformation.

Where I'm upset is that a representative of the PDGA is spreading mis-information about the new rule where there should be a coherent front to educate the public. So maybe instead of posting about how the term live in the rule you helped draft is meaningless, you could get a shared understanding from the competition committee about what the rule means, and make an educational post instead of a pedantic one.
No misinformation, just explanation from what I knew at the time I saw the post here. And communication was immediately initiated with the CompCom once discovered. Did the PDGA apologize for the oversight or did they say the waiver was justified despite the "live" wording?

No misinformation, just explanation from what I knew at the time I saw the post here. And communication was immediately initiated with the CompCom once discovered. Did the PDGA apologize for the oversight or did they say the waiver was justified despite the "live" wording?

There wasn't an oversight on the PDGA's end. They correctly identified that a waiver was required because there's no live coverage and granted the waiver.

There wasn't an oversight on the PDGA's end. They correctly identified that a waiver was required because there's no live coverage and granted the waiver.
That's still not clear. Wouldn't you read the rule text to say that allowing a Super Group requires "live coverage" AND "player group agreeing" AND "waiver is required"? Seems like that was the intent of part J. of the grouping rule as I remember it, i.e., that all three of those conditions must be met to allow a Super group.

But then the Tour Manager can provide a waiver to set aside a rule section if in their judgment its warranted in the best interest of the event. So no problem overall but it would be good to clarify that wording a bit.

That's still not clear. Wouldn't you read the rule text to say that allowing a Super Group requires "live coverage" AND "player group agreeing" AND "waiver is required"? Seems like that was the intent of part J. of the grouping rule as I remember it, i.e., that all three of those conditions must be met to allow a Super group.

My email to the Tour Manager this morning:

Andrew,

It appears that Las Vegas created a male and female supergroup but there is no live coverage. Under PDGA rules that is not allowed. How were they permitted to bypass the new rules?

Regards,

Bryan

The tour manager's response:
"They were provided a waiver."

I believe I asked the question with enough specificity. Do you agree?

Yes, those things are required to form a super group without need of waiver from the PDGA. Absent one or more of those requirements (like, say, live coverage), a waiver to form a super group can still be sought from the PDGA Tour Manager. As Bryan has stated on multiple occasions now, the TD in Vegas sought and secured such a waiver. End of story.

My email to the Tour Manager this morning:

Andrew,

It appears that Las Vegas created a male and female supergroup but there is no live coverage. Under PDGA rules that is not allowed. How were they permitted to bypass the new rules?

Regards,

Bryan

The tour manager's response:
"They were provided a waiver."

I believe I asked the question with enough specificity. Do you agree?
See my post just above yours. He essentially waived section J itself so no problem. Thanks for following up on this.

Supergroup doesn't appear to be helping. The usual suspects are having the play catch up on the back nine. Currently 3 players under 1000 rated in the top 4, though Eagle looks poised to break in.

Have conditions on the course worsened throughout the day? Looks like most of the hot rounds were from earlier tee times.

It did look like the afternoon got worse for players.

I am SURE Jomez is looking forward to filming that lead card tomorrow. Good thing no one else was allowed to do any post produced coverage. #ThrowGrenadeAndRun
:wall: