• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] 2018- What is everyone's longest disc these days?

I was just looking at flight charts, looks like a D3, Ballista, Nuke, Sheriff, Cannon all appear to kind of be in that realm. I am 5'9" and do not have the largest hands in the world. Are any of those more comfortable than the rest? If I can't grip it I can't rip it.

So many different molds in here. I have always thrown destroyers for max d, but am kind of thinking of trying some different stuff. I can get my destroyers out to 400 or so, any suggestions? I tried messing around with the shryke but the couple I tried (both star) were a little too flippy to be consistent for me on the course. Any suggestions on something that is a tick more stable than the shryke?

If you're throwing the Destroyer 400 ft., maybe try a Boss to see if it gives you a bit more?

Also, the Prodigy D3 and X2 might give you the stability over the Shryke you're looking for. Then maybe the DD2...

Last but not least is Infinite's new Pharaoh, which is said to be based on the Shryke, but might give that tick more stability. The Pharaoh is getting good reviews, as well.

I was just looking at flight charts, looks like a D3, Ballista, Nuke, Sheriff, Cannon all appear to kind of be in that realm. I am 5'9" and do not have the largest hands in the world. Are any of those more comfortable than the rest? If I can't grip it I can't rip it.

D3 feels deeper than a lot of the Tern, Shryke, DDx, etc drivers out now. I got an old one and it's a great stability for a max D disc but the rim is a little clunky in my small hands. I'd like to revisit the Cannon b/c I haven't thrown one since they first came out and I remember it being way fast and stable. Couldn't turn it over if I tried. Pretty wide feeling rim on that one. The Ballista feels good to me and has a nice combo of glide and speed but when I really get into it into the wind I can see the understability that people wrote about. It might beat into overlapping with Terns, DDx, Destiny, etc but higher speed. I can throw up a profile pic of Ballista and D3 if you like. Wish I had a Destro to compare them to but I don't think have any more.

I think the Ballista is the one that is intriguing me the most. I have a few holes on my home course that are just wide open bombs and just want something that I can crush and not worry about it going into a roller, but want it to have some turn to it.

vPXaqdj.jpg

Opto Ballista on left, D3 on right.

Have no idea, never thrown a Sheriff. I wouldn't expect much more stability from what I've read, it sounds like the Trilogy Shryke. They did make a Ballista Pro though. And I've heard good things about the unheralded Gladiator and Cutlass. I think Feldberg bags a Gladiator.

Why are there so many molds that are so similar.

Competing companies trying to get business. :\

Thank you! One more question, Sheriff vs Ballista? How much more stability does the sheriff have?

I don't know about the Ballista, but the Sheriff is a good disc. I have a Fuzion Sheriff and a Sparkle Lucid Sheriff. The Sparkle Lucid (equivalent of metal flake) is more overstable than the Fuzion, and the Fuzion wears in more quickly.

I was using the Sheriff as my wind fighter, but I'm more of a noodle arm than you. For you, the Sheriff will get some turn then fade back, and for your power I'd suggest the Lucid or Sparkle Lucid.

The only reason I don't bag the Sheriff is because I'm discing down from speed-13 rim size discs. Try one out and see how it does...

I've thrown all of those discs. They all have very wide rims. I don't think any of them are going to be more comfortable than the others. Either you like wide rimmed drivers or you don't. If I had to pick a couple of those to get max distance bombs out of it'd be the Ballista and the D3.

Shryke is still my main distance bomber though.

If you're throwing the Destroyer 400 ft., maybe try a Boss to see if it gives you a bit more?

Also, the Prodigy D3 and X2 might give you the stability over the Shryke you're looking for. Then maybe the DD2...

Last but not least is Infinite's new Pharaoh, which is said to be based on the Shryke, but might give that tick more stability. The Pharaoh is getting good reviews, as well.

400' out of a Destroyer is damn good distance. Something like a Ballista would be a touch flippier, but probably go another 40' or so. A Boss would be very similar, maybe a hair more stable than the Ballista.

I think the Ballista is the one that is intriguing me the most. I have a few holes on my home course that are just wide open bombs and just want something that I can crush and not worry about it going into a roller, but want it to have some turn to it.

Try one for sure. The Ballista definitely has high speed turn. However, it generally won't flip all the way over. Great open hole bomber disc. Great speed and glide.

Another un-mentioned disc is the Lace. They can be a little too touchy at times, but will seriously fly as far as any other driver on the market. Last time in the practice field my Lace and Shryke were basically tied for longest distance.

As for Ballista vs. Sheriff, I like the Ballista better. Its faster, flexes out better, and simply flies further for me. For whatever reason I can't get my lucid Sheriff to flex out on huge S curves like I can the Ballista. The Sheriff fades out prematurely.

Sheriff for me. Consistently out past 350 on golf lines, but have seen over 400 on and off the course. Before that it was bolt that was consistently longer by 25-50 ft on golf lines but with a lot less predictability.

I honestly don't know because I am constantly changing and trying new things. Comes down to StarLite Tern, Destiny, Shryke and Sheriff. Some of my personal bests on my home course have come with a 172 Echo Star Tern. I really should by about 10 of them before they are all gone.

I honestly don't know because I am constantly changing and trying new things. Comes down to StarLite Tern, Destiny, Shryke and Sheriff. Some of my personal bests on my home course have come with a 172 Echo Star Tern. I really should by about 10 of them before they are all gone.

You better hurry if you want to grab Echostar Terns. They are already going fast, and I'm not sure where you'd amass ten of them without paying more (i.e. paying too much). I'm down to my last two, and they'll just have to do me...

Axiom MAYHEM - if you like a Katana or Shryke or looking for a similar flight but like a lil more bite back on the fade, Neutron MAyhem fits the bill. I was looking for a More stable TERN kinda flight and this is by far the furthest disc I've thrown

Axiom MAYHEM - if you like a Katana or Shryke or looking for a similar flight but like a lil more bite back on the fade, Neutron MAyhem fits the bill. I was looking for a More stable TERN kinda flight and this is by far the furthest disc I've thrown

MVP Catalyst for me, I can get it out there to ~400' on that 1 in 10 shot when I really get ahold of it. I'd say 350'-375' fairly consistently though. I did just pick up a Mayhem and am starting to play around with it, seems like it'll be right up there too...

Latest posts