• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] 2018- What is everyone's longest disc these days?

At soon 48y old i don´t see myself ever to get to the +400' club. .i´m more trying to be accurate in the 330-350' range

You ever mess around with a star Tern? I can't say you'd be accurate with it, but that disc could add distance to your drives even if you're at 350' now.

Terns are probably the easiest distance I've ever seen in a driver. By that I mean you don't need a huge arm to see noticeable distance gains.

You ever mess around with a star Tern? I can't say you'd be accurate with it, but that disc could add distance to your drives even if you're at 350' now.

Terns are probably the easiest distance I've ever seen in a driver. By that I mean you don't need a huge arm to see noticeable distance gains.

Star Tern, Pro and G* Shryke is among my longest disc...but it turns out that a 10-speed can get me the same distance
And I'm really bad at high anhyzers..low straight or slight hyzers is my go-to throw

Got a star shryke for xmas...was expecting a turnover flight..but was like my star boss..straight..to finishing fade....great forehand but not what I expected..had a champ that was to understable for fh and flat throws..is this just because it is new?or do they vary..I can flex it..but it was destroyer like

A lightweight, beat-in 400G D3. I can hyzerflip it to around 400' pretty consistently as long as the wind is low or going in a decent direction. Every once in a while I'll really smash it out there and surprise myself though.

Got a star shryke for xmas...was expecting a turnover flight..but was like my star boss..straight..to finishing fade....great forehand but not what I expected..had a champ that was to understable for fh and flat throws..is this just because it is new?or do they vary..I can flex it..but it was destroyer like

Interesting. I've found star Shykes to generally be flippy. Mine all have high speed turn. Now, if you were talking champion Shryke I could see it being beefier.

Star Shrykes are probably the longest plastic for me. 450' when I'm feeling it. Lots of high speed turn and glide. Champions are usually shorter and don't glide quite as well.

I guess I'd have to say Shrykes vary. I've seen a few pretty beefy ones. Usually they fly pretty true to the numbers.

I've got a Star Shryke that is SUPER domey and flies stable up to around 350'. It takes either more power or a little bit of headwind to get it to exhibit turn. I also have a medium dome G* that turns at 300' of power. I've also played with guys who get a huge S-curve out of Stars at around 330' of power.

So yeah, I'd say it's a mold that has some variance in HSS. All Shrykes seem to have a gentle fade relative to how fast of a disc they are though.

Yes maybe just needs to break in is pretty much a carbon copy of my boss I threw them side-by-side forehand n back hand my longest throw was a flex bh...

Was throwing a practice bag full ESP and Big Z Nukes, most of them landing around 420-430, but one of my ESPs got a bit of extra turn, flexed then got a nice forward skip to about 460-70. Ripped my thumb up trying to match the throw, but couldn't recreate that perfect S. New year's resolution was going to be finally working on that forehand...but I think figuring this out will be more gratifying.

For backhands I have a Star Tern that is crushing it and a westside Sorcerer. The Sorcerer is a disc I'll probably never get rid of. It has been so good for me. Forehands a pre Climo Star Wraith! I switch between a beat Destroyer and the Wraith but hands down the Wraith just kills it for my forehand distance.

I've been kind of driving myself nuts with this so I spent an hour at the fields yesterday I compared I 171 star shryke 168 star boss and A143 blizzard boss Surprisingly all really similar flight and distance the shrike was usually about 10' further than the boss and straighter and the blizzard was the winner just because it's a blizzard..and the surprisingly the most stable of the 3.. I then took the dreaded r pro boss I did A360 downwind throw which beat them all but you would expect that I guess...of course that disc is not useable at all without a tailwind except as a weird roller .. These throws were on a grass football field from behind the goal post through the other goalposts on angle... On a harder surface maybe i could throw a little differently and farther.. These disks all have fade for me and I have to flex them a little..wind was from side...

I've been kind of driving myself nuts with this so I spent an hour at the fields yesterday I compared I 171 star shryke 168 star boss and A143 blizzard boss Surprisingly all really similar flight and distance the shrike was usually about 10' further than the boss and straighter and the blizzard was the winner just because it's a blizzard..and the surprisingly the most stable of the 3.. I then took the dreaded r pro boss I did A360 downwind throw which beat them all but you would expect that I guess...of course that disc is not useable at all without a tailwind except as a weird roller .. These throws were on a grass football field from behind the goal post through the other goalposts on angle... On a harder surface maybe i could throw a little differently and farther.. These disks all have fade for me and I have to flex them a little..wind was from side...

I generally hate throwing blizzard discs. Occasionally I'll mess around with them in the field though. Blizzard Bosses and Katanas are probably the longest things I've ever thrown. ZERO consistency, but every once in a while I'll get out near 500' with them. It'll be about 1 throw in 10 though. The other 9 will probably be hard flips and other useless throws. I also agree the wind conditions have to be optimal to get anything out of blizzard discs.

You're also right that some blizzard discs can be stubbornly overstable. I've thrown a few freak blizz Bosses that were beefy.

I'm at the point where I won't really say which disc is longest for me. Depending on the day, it could be any different number of molds. Shryke, Ballista, Lace, Katana, Vulcan, Knight. Generally I get the best distance out of fast, understable, glidey discs.

BTW, the Knight is worth a look. I had never thrown one until last weekend. Its freaking incredible. Its like a faster Ballista that doesn't have as much high speed turn. It'll do 450' less than 20' off the ground.

If I updated my list of longest drivers for 2019 the Knight would be in the top 3, let's put it that way.

Sounds good...I am ordering an mvp relativity..that sound interesting...I will see...hoping for glidy turnover with reliable fade..

Sounds good...I am ordering an mvp relativity..that sound interesting...I will see...hoping for glidy turnover with reliable fade..

I just threw one of those for the first time last weekend. Definitely flippy. Very long. I was touching 450' with the Relativity. The Knight was still beating it though.

Fade on the Relativity is a little dumpy... assuming it fades at all. Some of my shots bled right pretty much the whole flight. I need some more work with that disc. It was really long and wild for me. Reminded me of a Nuke SS.

For me the Wraith hits the sweet spot for rim width and necessary arm speed to get it to fly as it should. The Sword is next in line.

138 domey blizz katana..no headwind...100% mybest bomber..will end up right..everytime...and be a roller if not careful..but I have it pretty consistent..pro destroyer and star shryke next...shryke is growing on me and just as long as katana often...but will turn too much sometimes..still breaking in..all my bosses next...ballista pro..about the same...but can turn right too much sometimes unless hyzered... The y are all probly all within 20' of each other.. Except for the occasionals freaky katana ,or ballista cruise

And from the noodle arm branch of the gyro camp.. Neutron Wave 155, Fission Photon 143g, Plasma Wave 155g. Less OS- least OS

The Wave/Wave combo has been real good to me. I can get great lines with the plasma, I feel like it offers a great control distance at my range.. 330' ish.. +/- 30' give me a little height advantage on the tee and I can push it pretty far on a gentle turnover.

Fission photon has been my Blizzard boss(?) Sort of disc. Tricky long, low-medium burn potential... not great in the wind, not bad but not what I will reach for if there's decent gusts.

Last edited:
And from the noodle arm branch of the gyro camp.. Neutron Wave 155, Fission Photon 143g, Plasma Wave 155g. Less OS- least OS

The Wave/Wave combo has been real good to me. I can get great lines with the plasma, I feel like it offers a great control distance at my range.. 330' ish.. +/- 30' give me a little height advantage on the tee and I can push it pretty far on a gentle turnover.

Fission photon has been my Blizzard boss(?) Sort of disc. Tricky long, low-medium burn potential... not great in the wind, not bad but not what I will reach for if there's decent gusts.

I still love my Plasma Waves, too. I have been swapping my Neutron Vanish in the bag instead sometimes, depending on whether I want my tailwind driver to be straight (Wave) or understable (Vanish). I actually broke 400' on a freak "where did that come from?!?" tailwind throw with my Plasma Wave. That was my first time hitting 400' on flat ground. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to duplicate and most of my throws are still closer to your distance, 330' to 350'.

Latest posts