• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 European Open

I like BigSexy commentary, but Big Jerm has a habit of throwing too many "spoilers" out himself.

I've also seen some spoilers here on DGCR when some would talk about how so and so is playing, who has such and such a stroke lead, etc. I find that when a tournament is coming up that I want to see some of I just avoid some forum threads completely until I have watched the tournament.

Haven't played the course, but would love to. Most pros rave about how much they like the course, which is good enough for me.

yeah, i mean, i think they like the course because the design is balanced and fair.

but to a seasoned DG viewer, it's not an engaging watch.

EO would be awesome on the Franz Ferdinand course.

Quite frankly, I do. No need to go over the tech, because we all know it's possible for 2 people anywhere to record audio at the same time while watching a video. I'm saying...get 2 people on board who will be the "voices" of the media house. Can grow with the company, etc, etc. I could see different players, guest commentators, etc, for the casual rounds, fun events, etc, but for the big events, why not strive to have continuity in regards to commentary?

Having the 2 people at the same location is way better. There is a lot of unspoken communication between 2 good announcers. When they are in different locations you have a way tougher time not speaking over someone.

And tech wise... It would require a low res render, upload, record commentary on both sides, line up the two audio tracks with the footage and then render again and upload again.

Yes it can be done, it just adds a few additional hours to the process vs recording onsite the next morning. It makes "next day" way tougher.

Trust me, almost no one in our sport knows this tech as well as me.

yeah, i mean, i think they like the course because the design is balanced and fair.

but to a seasoned DG viewer, it's not an engaging watch.

By seasoned, do you mean jaded?

I'd rather watch this course than the vast majority of the DGPT and NT courses. Check back with me after watching them play 3 of 5 Worlds rounds at ****ing Eureka.

Nokia set the Gold standard (literally) for Pro level courses when it debuted. It has elevation, tight lines, wooded holes, low ceilings, and, yes, OB lines on some holes. It doesn't have more gimme holes or gimmicks than 90% of the crap being designed here in the states...

Courses I can barely watch: Vegas, Memorial, Emporia CC, the golf course at DeLa that ruins the event, Utah open, Ledgestone...

end rant

Franz Ferdinand is beautiful but sadly not a gold level course in it's current state. Last year at Konopiste Open (major) par was rated 942, almost 50 points lower than this tournament. You basically need something like Tampere Disc Golf Center for a gold level course without much painted/artificial OB.

Last edited:
Most people might look at this as awesome but I see this as a negative for Eagle. It seems like he is saying that its the discs fault that he lost the tournament and he has to get all new ones if he wants to try to win. I think he still needs to work on his mental game a lot.

This one was different from the Konopiste ragequit. This was a happy giveaway. He kept some essentials also. And while the rest are not necessarily entrily stock either, he can pick and choose at the warehouse to get his liking. I think the new DM bag coming soon is also a part of this.

Last edited:
Franz Ferdinand is beautiful but sadly not a gold level course in it's current state. Last year at Konopiste Open (major) par was rated 942, almost 50 points lower than this tournament. You basically need something like Tampere Disc Golf Center for a gold level course without much painted/artificial OB.

Agreed. Franz F is way too easy for the big armed pros. Needs lots of OB to make it interesting.

I think the Beast has good balance and difficulty. The Tampere Disc Golf Center is much more difficult without being overly punitive or gimmicky.

Idlewild coming up, IMO has lots of random punitiveness that the thrower has little chance to affect. *Which doesnt mean I dont enjoy viewing it, much moreso than the list of Boring Hyzer Open courses somebody just listed above.

Last edited:
Forgot the most important question ;) how did that kid get Paul's disc down from that tree R3 hole 12 ?

Looked to be stuck very high up

This one was different from the Konopiste ragequit. This was a happy giveaway. He kept some essentials also. And while the rest are not necessarily entrily stock either, he can pick and choose at the warehouse to get his liking. I think the new DM bag coming soon is also a part of this.

New DM Bag?

Actually, it was rated 957, but yes, that is too low. However, call the three longest holes par 4 instead of 5 and par would have been rated 980. (Lower than 1000 because it lets players take a lot of birdies, which they seem to like in Europe.) The scoring spreads at gold level are good enough on all holes. 1000-rated players averaged over 61 throws.

I'd say it's on the easy end of big enough. A magic wand that lengthened the easiest holes would certainly improve it, but I see nothing that would say we should prevent anyone from holding a big event there.

I think this was said before, but...
One theory is that Eagle can save himself some space and weight on his flight back.
If he purchased some things in Europe that he wants to keep, he can carry them home instead of his bag.

Anyways, what is it gonna cost him to replace his bag and discs?
= $0.00
Either:
A. Nice gesture. Fans loved it!!
B. Saved the weight and space for some nice memories from Europe.
C. Crass and bitter move by someone who lost a tournament and blamed his sponsor's discs.

Sometimes you guys are too much (negativity!).

The womans coverage ruined the results for me. Im off of facebook and insta finally so there is no worry about spoilers (I got off for non dg reasons). I watched the coverage when it came out on youtube. Womans came out first so I watched those and the final round B9 of the womans coverage showed the leaderboard for the mens coverage and ruined the whole thing. I was pissed. I try to support the ladies but now Im not going to watch their coverage because of what happened here.

I didn't notice this so I just went back to look. I assume you must be talking about the few seconds at the end where they're showing shots of the awards in front of the men's scoreboard? I don't think you can be mad at SpinTV on that.

First, I tend to turn it off right after the action ends in order to avoid any chance for a spoiler of the men's coverage. Although I've always been concerned with commentators spoiling something and not a physical leaderboard. It's also why I watch FPO first. I've definitely heard MPO commentators mention who won FPO.

Second, it's just in the background of the shot of the awards. It's not like they put up a graphic off the final FPO standings earlier in the round or put up a graphic of the final MPO standings during the FPO video. I've noticed that type of stuff on other videos before so when I'm being especially paranoid I'll try to even avoid the leaderboard graphics at the end of F9 or start of B9.

Finally, it's only in the background for a few seconds and pretty easily not noticed or at least not analyzed. Maybe you saw it and thought it was FPO so paused it. But if you're just watching for the first time and you're watching Paige get her award then I think it's pretty difficult to notice the leaderboard and then accidentally also manage to see the scores on one side and associate them with the names on the other side to spoil something.

I think this was said before, but...
One theory is that Eagle can save himself some space and weight on his flight back.
If he purchased some things in Europe that he wants to keep, he can carry them home instead of his bag.

Anyways, what is it gonna cost him to replace his bag and discs?
= $0.00
Either:
A. Nice gesture. Fans loved it!!
B. Saved the weight and space for some nice memories from Europe.
C. Crass and bitter move by someone who lost a tournament and blamed his sponsor's discs.

Sometimes you guys are too much (negativity!).

While I agree that folks are too negative, there's a simpler explanation. It isn't like this hasn't happened before, to a Discmania sponsored player. This strikes me as a savvy public relations move.

Actually, it was rated 957, but yes, that is too low. However, call the three longest holes par 4 instead of 5 and par would have been rated 980. (Lower than 1000 because it lets players take a lot of birdies, which they seem to like in Europe.) The scoring spreads at gold level are good enough on all holes. 1000-rated players averaged over 61 throws.

I'd say it's on the easy end of big enough. A magic wand that lengthened the easiest holes would certainly improve it, but I see nothing that would say we should prevent anyone from holding a big event there.

I'm curious, are you saying that Europeans like birdies more than Americans do? I'd wanna know what you based that conclusion on?

It seems to me that folks like birdies in general, and probably more than they should. It also seems that counter to that conclusion would be EO, where at times birdies seemed darned hard to get. Of course EO may be a one off and I don't actually know how the course rated.

I didn't notice this so I just went back to look. I assume you must be talking about the few seconds at the end where they're showing shots of the awards in front of the men's scoreboard? I don't think you can be mad at SpinTV on that.

First, I tend to turn it off right after the action ends in order to avoid any chance for a spoiler of the men's coverage. Although I've always been concerned with commentators spoiling something and not a physical leaderboard. It's also why I watch FPO first. I've definitely heard MPO commentators mention who won FPO.

Second, it's just in the background of the shot of the awards. It's not like they put up a graphic off the final FPO standings earlier in the round or put up a graphic of the final MPO standings during the FPO video. I've noticed that type of stuff on other videos before so when I'm being especially paranoid I'll try to even avoid the leaderboard graphics at the end of F9 or start of B9.

Finally, it's only in the background for a few seconds and pretty easily not noticed or at least not analyzed. Maybe you saw it and thought it was FPO so paused it. But if you're just watching for the first time and you're watching Paige get her award then I think it's pretty difficult to notice the leaderboard and then accidentally also manage to see the scores on one side and associate them with the names on the other side to spoil something.

Yea, I should have known to turn the coverage off before it ended, but yes I was talking about the snip at the end. I saw the scores and was confused because I didnt think any of the woman were that far under par so I glanced at the names and it turned out it was the mens scores. You might not think you should be mad at Spin TV but I think differently than you so it pissed me off. I dont think it was difficult at all to notice the leaderboard. It was right there. But I should have been a bit smarter about it since we know that there is the giant leaderboard on hole 18 that is visible. Really it doesnt matter because Im just going to stop watching the womans coverage. I already dont watch some of it because I refuse to watch certain players but now Im just going to cut it all out.

Most people might look at this as awesome but I see this as a negative for Eagle. It seems like he is saying that its the discs fault that he lost the tournament and he has to get all new ones if he wants to try to win. I think he still needs to work on his mental game a lot.

Was it his bag's fault too? I didn't think that for one second honestly. When I see Adam Hammes bend his putter in half and tossing it in the woods/creek, that seems more like blaming the discs.

To me, it looked like Eagle was honestly just trying to reward the record breaking crowd. Not only was the number of spectators impressive, they all seem to have a real knowledge of disc flight. There were sooo many close calls were spectators could have ruined an amazing roller.

Was it his bag's fault too? I didn't think that for one second honestly. When I see Adam Hammes bend his putter in half and tossing it in the woods/creek, that seems more like blaming the discs.

To me, it looked like Eagle was honestly just trying to reward the record breaking crowd. Not only was the number of spectators impressive, they all seem to have a real knowledge of disc flight. There were sooo many close calls were spectators could have ruined an amazing roller.

We all have different opinions and mine is that he did this because he lost. We wont really know unless he says something and even if he does say something there is no way to tell if he is being honest or just trying to save face. I based my opinion off of how Eagle has acted after defeats lately in which I think he is beating himself up a lot for not winning and not looking at the positives of his achievements.

Rage quitting is one thing, but it looked to me like Eagle was having fun with the crowd. He had a big smile on his face, and the crowd seemed to be enjoying it. If he was mad and blaming the discs, he picked a very odd way to express it.

The one thing that made me laugh was Paul's post victory interview:

"These are two of the three best players in the world"

Gee Paul...who's the third? :)

Rage quitting is one thing, but it looked to me like Eagle was having fun with the crowd. He had a big smile on his face, and the crowd seemed to be enjoying it. If he was mad and blaming the discs, he picked a very odd way to express it.

The one thing that made me laugh was Paul's post victory interview:

"These are two of the three best players in the world"

Gee Paul...who's the third? :)

Rage quit, discs go in the lake.

It seems a contradiction, I'm so mad I'm going to get rid of my discs, but I'm going to do it politely.

Latest posts