• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 European Open July 21-24

Kudos to Paige. Would have been so rewarding if Evaliina could have held on for the win in her home country, but she just didn't get enough breaks for it to go her way..

Eveliina did put up a fight and her putt worked ok. . .but in the end Paige shot 3 nice rounds and one ok round.
Eveliina did 3 ok rounds and one insane one.

I don't recall a lot of discussion about the course itself. I thought it was pretty good. They did have a lot of OB, but it didn't feel like it was excessive. The lines were challenging to the point that every player was going to make an error at some point in the round, but pretty much every player was capable of getting a birdie on every hole. Seemed to do a pretty good job of risk/reward.

Great tournament and I enjoyed Earhart in the booth. If this is one of the four DG Majors, why is it only played every other year? Couldn't the tournament alternate between another Euro course and then back to the Beast every other year? Just seems weird to have a Major that is not played every year.

Great tournament and I enjoyed Earhart in the booth. If this is one of the four DG Majors, why is it only played every other year? Couldn't the tournament alternate between another Euro course and then back to the Beast every other year? Just seems weird to have a Major that is not played every year.
Jussi Meresmaa confirmed that the European Open will be held next year as well, which makes sense because it's traditionally been on odd years. 2024 is a bit of a mystery because they're lining up a Worlds bid for Tampere that year (with Nokia possibly being one of the courses).

Which makes it a practical issue. Granted the burden is placed on EU players regularly to make one or more trips to the states to play in big tournaments, but for now, the US is the big market and still drives decisions.

If the EU is going to host World's, they may choose not to try to host the Open due to lack of attendance from US based players.

Killa Sex Pants going scorched earth with a 64 to sneak into the top half of the FPO field.

I don't recall a lot of discussion about the course itself. I thought it was pretty good. They did have a lot of OB, but it didn't feel like it was excessive. The lines were challenging to the point that every player was going to make an error at some point in the round, but pretty much every player was capable of getting a birdie on every hole. Seemed to do a pretty good job of risk/reward.

Didn't like the change to hole 15 at all. It used to be a superb risk/reward par 4. With the tee and basket position now for a three it became a lottery shot that you might as well buy a ticket for.

The landing zone was too small to reliably hit and stick so they threw it down there hoped for a bit of luck on the landing and a putt for two. If it didn't work out they just putt for an OB 3 or 4. Poor hole change IMO.

I don't think in previous years I had been so aware of the paths, roads, benches, lampposts, soccer pitches and more that come into play throughout the course. I hate seeing this at top level events. I disliked it 10 years ago. It should be a thing of the past now. It encourages people putting courses in to create unsafe holes "but they cross a road in "insert top tier event here"" (I hear this regularly from clubs). It also looks amateurish from an outsiders perspective.

A lot of the holes have obviously been designed with a gallery in mind and it does this element very well, allowing easy flow of spectators from one hole to the next and banking them up above the holes using natural terrain. It does a very good job in the last three holes of producing excitement and scoring separation, albeit I'm not sure I like TinCup holes like 16.

Flow would get it marked down if you were reviewing the course as a player with long unintuitive walks between holes and lots of going back on yourself.

Aesthetically, very much like USDGC, it's not one that finds it's way onto my course bucket list to play, apart from hole 1 and 18 which both really appeal.

I don't think in previous years I had been so aware of the paths, roads, benches, lampposts, soccer pitches and more that come into play throughout the course. I hate seeing this at top level events. I disliked it 10 years ago. It should be a thing of the past now. It encourages people putting courses in to create unsafe holes "but they cross a road in "insert top tier event here"" (I hear this regularly from clubs). It also looks amateurish from an outsiders perspective.

I agree completely on this. I have reached the point where "throwing around the ball field" bugs me more than having them play on golf courses.

Good points.

I guess the bucket list thing is a DG standard. I don't usually watch pro events thinking I'd like to play that course. No point because I need an extra throw or two to cover the distance. Most would long, boring and frustrating.

I can definitely understand the design influence concerns.

Benches and lamp posts I can agree on, but not the rest as long as they're taken out of service for tournament use. Ideally we shouldn't be having tournaments in public parks at all; we're not quite there yet in Finland either, but we're seeing constant progress. I strongly disagree on the European Open looking and being perceived as amateurish despite the surroundings; the $100,000 purse was one of the largest of the year in all of Finnish sports.

The permanent Nokia DiscGolfPark layout is obviously nothing like the Beast. If someone wants to mimic a temporary course for permanent purposes they're simply not bright.

Last edited:
I agree with rhatton's concerns about design influence.

TD's and course designers for such events realize there will be a staff, volunteers, and even a gallery, all of which can mitigate the risk of bringing some of those elements into play from the perspective of pedestrian traffic.

Those resources aren't available to Joe the aspiring course designer. And as pointed out, Joe might be thinking, "If it's good enough for ___________, surely it's good enough for this other course. "

Might not even be considering the fact that the tournament has resources and people Joe can never hope for.

Better not to influence Joe in that direction in the first place. Our best events should set a better standard.

Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:
The permanent Nokia DiscGolfPark layout is obviously nothing like the Beast. If someone wants to mimic a temporary course for permanent purposes they're simply not bright.

Will it be more effective to try to make sure no courses are designed by people who are simply not bright, or to try to make sure big events are held at mimic-worthy courses?

Will it be more effective to try to make sure no courses are designed by people who are simply not bright, or to try to make sure big events are held at mimic-worthy courses?
Or rather give these people feedback that mimicking a temp course at a major or elite series event will not work for permanent solutions because they'd be an obvious safety risk. Wasn't the best choice of words from me there. Most permanent, free to play courses will be shared-space designs in the future in any case, and dedicated designs will be devoid of these restrictions.

I cringe in the same way while watching Eureka Lake. Both courses feel like mickey-mouse courses and the scores, minus the gimmicky OB strokes, reflect that. It's absurd that players can play four rounds of a major and not once have to scramble a get out of jail forehand (I believe I saw Kramer pull out his BH at least twice but that's ridiculous too).

Obviously they are prioritizing the money-making aspects of the game at the expense of the quality of disc golf being played and my (remote) viewing of it. This is a tradeoff that I understand and can sympathize with but naturally object to as it comes at the expense of what I care about.

I cringe in the same way while watching Eureka Lake. Both courses feel like mickey-mouse courses and the scores, minus the gimmicky OB strokes, reflect that. It's absurd that players can play four rounds of a major and not once have to scramble a get out of jail forehand (I believe I saw Kramer pull out his BH at least twice but that's ridiculous too).
I don't know man, the Beast is 1000 rated for par. I can't remember exactly how much under par the winning score was the previous times, but both Eagle and Paul must've beaten them by like 10 strokes. Their level of play was just insane, including a number of very impressive scrambles you're either forgetting or just aren't aware of. At least the tennis courts aren't as profoundly defining obstacles as the infamous baseball field or the water tower at Eureka Lake.

"not bright"?

Tad judgy there. Wisdom comes from experience. Doubt every park director or random person creating a DG course at the camp ground is versed in course design. But not bright? Poor word choice.

Last edited:
I don't know man, the Beast is 1000 rated for par. I can't remember exactly how much under par the winning score was the previous times, but both Eagle and Paul must've beaten them by like 10 strokes. Their level of play was just insane, including a number of very impressive scrambles you're either forgetting or just aren't aware of. At least the tennis courts aren't as profoundly defining obstacles as the infamous baseball field or the water tower at Eureka Lake.

Here are the ratings for par rounds at DGPT and Major courses this year/last year. The Beast from this year's European Open is certainly on the easier side.

Brewster's Ridge 2011: 983
Preserve: 984
WR Jackson: 990
Mulligans 2011: 995
Des Moine Challenge 2011: 996
DGLO 2011: 996
European Open: 998
Glendoveer: 999
Blue Lake: 999
Jonesboro Open: 999
Idlewild: 1003
Texas States: 1004
Waco Beast: 1006
Eureka Lake 2011: 1008
Fox Run 2011: 1010
Maple Hill 2011: 1011
The Fort 2011: 1011
Winthrop 2011: 1013
OTB Open: 1018
Emporia Country Club: 1029 (Par on the windy day rated 1046 and on the calmer day rated 1012)
Northwod Black 2011: 1029
Jones Supreme: 1030

Interesting to note that the other Major this year, WR Jackson, was also one of the easiest courses on tour (to par at least!). With USWDGC also scoring quite softly, I wonder if this is a purposeful trend.

(LVC courses not listed as we have only have one round of each as sample size. Par rounds at Infinite, Innvoa, and Factory this year scored 969, 987, and 983)

Last edited:

Latest posts