• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 European Open

But if you compare Paul and Paiges 2019 UDisc stats for putting.

Paul have 83% C1x and 30% C2
Paige have 67% C1x and 21% C2

Thats not a huge difference . . and no offence to Paige but upper body strength is not the first thing that comes to mind.

Fairway Hits
Parked
Circle 1 in Regulation
Circle 2 in Regulation

Those stats stands out more in Pauls favor than the putting stats

Okay, that's Paige... now tell me about the rest of the FPO field.

Also, disc golf is not about brute strength, or Paige P, Will Shusterick, and Eagle McMahon would never be able to throw as far as they do.

Again, my point is relative to tee placement for FPO, and I was making the thesis that it doesn't matter where the tee boxes are when the FPO field can't putt as well as the MPO field.

Okay, that's Paige... now tell me about the rest of the FPO field.

No fun then ;) . . . there is only a handfull of really good putters in the FPO field. . .in the MPO it´s a must

But Cat is not missing all those really short ones of a lack of strength. . it´s something else

No fun then ;) . . . there is only a handfull of really good putters in the FPO field. . .in the MPO it´s a must

But Cat is not missing all those really short ones of a lack of strength. . it´s something else

Exactly my point on both counts.

Was skimming through today's results, and my club mate Kristian Kuoksa shot a 56 (-8). He's 16 years old! Only 1034 rated, probably because of the cut field and pretty good scoring conditions.

Except that they're not missing due to lack of strength; their putts are not falling out of the air short of the basket (especially the short ones Cat has missed). They're just not throwing accurately, so sorry, and I'm not sure why...

The lack of strength can come in to play with accuracy because they have to put more effort into getting the disc there. If you've got more moving parts in order to generate pop/spin/etc, there's more that can go wrong. Even on the short putts, if you're making adjustments for distance changes as small as 5-10 feet (i.e. changing your approach on a 25 footer compared to a 15 footer), you can get yourself messed up pretty easily such that any putt is a tester.

Unlike on a tee shot or a full throw, it's much more difficult to use technique (especially repeatable technique) to generate distance and accuracy with a putt. Paige Pierce can throw a drive 400 feet despite her diminutive size primarily because she has near flawless technique. There's not a whole lot of technique that can compensate for inherent lack of strength in a putting motion.

I think with Cat in particular, she's always messing around with her putting style. Sometimes subtle adjustments, sometimes significant ones. I think the more you're doing that, the more often you're going to lose the feel, occasionally out of the blue. It's hard to be consistent when you're changing things so frequently.

The lack of strength can come in to play with accuracy because they have to put more effort into getting the disc there. If you've got more moving parts in order to generate pop/spin/etc, there's more that can go wrong. Even on the short putts, if you're making adjustments for distance changes as small as 5-10 feet (i.e. changing your approach on a 25 footer compared to a 15 footer), you can get yourself messed up pretty easily such that any putt is a tester.

Unlike on a tee shot or a full throw, it's much more difficult to use technique (especially repeatable technique) to generate distance and accuracy with a putt. Paige Pierce can throw a drive 400 feet despite her diminutive size primarily because she has near flawless technique. There's not a whole lot of technique that can compensate for inherent lack of strength in a putting motion.

I think with Cat in particular, she's always messing around with her putting style. Sometimes subtle adjustments, sometimes significant ones. I think the more you're doing that, the more often you're going to lose the feel, occasionally out of the blue. It's hard to be consistent when you're changing things so frequently.

First, about Catrina: sometimes she putts lights out, and then sometimes... IMHO she sometimes doesn't focus enough when she's going up for short putts. And worse, sometimes she seems to get into a mental 'fog' or 'zone' where she's not giving it 100%; she gets down mentally. Sometimes she gets it back, sometimes it stays with her for the remainder of the round. She's not the only one: Paige P was becoming known for missing putts at the end of early rounds that cost her strokes, and one time cost her an outright championship instead of a co-championship when the tournament was called early due to weather. Paige P seems to have corrected that, but Catrina still has spells when she gets down.

Second, I don't disagree with most of what you've said above, but once again I'm not talking about really long putts.

For example, I'm more than twice as old as most of the MPO field and so I have no expectation of throwing 700 ft. drives or even 400 ft. drives. I'm not going to throw as far as Paul McBeth or Paige Pierce, just like I can't hit a golf ball as far as Phil Mickelson or Annika Sorenstam.

But I watch FPO golf because their strategies on holes are more like what I'd expect to have during my own rounds, just as I watched LPGA golf and volunteered at LPGA tournaments to see the same. I can't drive as far as the LPGA players nor most DG FPO players, but the iron shots into the greens and the approaches to the basket are more similar to me than trying to emulate a Mickelson wedge shot or McBeth's use of the Zone. So I believe the FPO young ladies should be good enough to have good short games, even if they're not as physically strong as the men, and sometimes they do... just not here at the Euroopean Open, it would seem.

As a corollary to this, if an FPO player would hone her short game to dynamite status, she'd be winning all over the place. Valarie Jenkins Doss won four world titles because she could putt and approach incredibly well. When Paige P's putting is on, she's unstoppable. And part of that is to hone Course Management skills, like what Hannah Leatherman did to win the 2015 USWDGC with Paige P and Val Jenkins on the final card with her...

I hope Paige stays and do commentary for the last round. . .will be interesting to hear her mental state when she throws seven attempts to hit the green on 16 . . .and destroyed her average Rating

odd fact. . only ONE FPO player played over her rating in R4

Also, disc golf is not about brute strength, or Paige P, Will Shusterick, and Eagle McMahon would never be able to throw as far as they do.
PP is definitely very athletic and quick and explosive with the lower body. I'll bet she is a lot stronger/athletic than she appears and than most of her competitors pound for pound.

Will and Eagle and Lizotte have pure mechanical advantage and very underrated athletic talent/skill. When technique is equal, then the only way to compete with mechanical advantage is to be more athletic/stronger/quicker like McBeth and GG and Nikko.

Performance Tracks

attachment.php

Attachments

• EO2019PTs.jpg
    EO2019PTs.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 287
Not much talk about Pauls great comeback that last round..or more accurate how Ricky and Eagle lost it that last round.

All three kind of had one bad round but Paul was more consistent the other 3 rounds

For some reason, once again, this amazing event is the week as the Open Championship completely destroying any chance of good media coverage in sports.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

When will the sport really grow? When we get out of our own way.

Yeah but if we rescheduled we would either get trounced by cornhole or pro bowling.

Not much talk about Pauls great comeback that last round..or more accurate how Ricky and Eagle lost it that last round.

All three kind of had one bad round but Paul was more consistent the other 3 rounds

I'm waiting to see the post-produced final round coverage before making any comments. I'd imagine that is true of others, as well.

By the way, the post-produced videos of the first three rounds, FPO and MPO, have been good, so props to SpinTV for that. :thmbup:

Jesse was on pace for 2nd place and for another try at setting a new course record on last day, it's shame that hole 15 and 18 were not cooperating with him. Considering he was pretty starstruck after first round and still managed to pull himself together for 3rd and final day.

Also, Albert Tamm was on fire whole tournament, looking forward to see more of him in future

Slightly off topic, but didn't know where to ask...

What is considered the more prestigious win? Worlds or USDGC?

You could ask this in the General Disc Golf Chat thread. And it might make a neat poll, too. :)

My answer is that both are extremely prestigious, but it's those World titles that get announced at events. "Now throwing, four time World Champion Paul McBeth!" (substitute Paige Pierce or Val Jenkins if you wish).

You could ask this in the General Disc Golf Chat thread. And it might make a neat poll, too. :)

My answer is that both are extremely prestigious, but it's those World titles that get announced at events. "Now throwing, four time World Champion Paul McBeth!" (substitute Paige Pierce or Val Jenkins if you wish).

Essentially. While both are majors, not all majors are considered equal for the purposes of one's legacy. While when we get into the minutia of one's career, all of the major titles one will provide some scope as to how good the player actually was, it's the World Championships that most remember and most are judged by. Winning USDGC (or USWDGC) is prestigious, winning Worlds is prestigious, winning both of them together is obviously better.

But, how many USWDGC titles has Elaine King won, without looking up the answer? How many USDGC titles has Ken Climo won, without looking up the answer?

You could also frame this another way. Take a poll of professional players, and tell them they can win any one major each of the next two years, but only one of them. I suspect most, if not all, would say they would prefer to win Worlds twice as opposed to either the U.S. titles or the European title.

Latest posts