• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

Something non-competitors will never understand.

When you're at the top, you don't look for a way out. You always want to win. You're the best and there's no one better when your firing on all cylinders.

I predict Paul will compete and be in the top 5 until 35 and top 10 until 40. He might take some time off near the end of that timeframe but before long he will be back competing. Probably in Masters occasionally and Open at Majors.

Paul obviously loves disc golf but I bet you could challenge him to any competition and he would accept and want to win. At his core, he's just a fierce competitor.

I thought I saw a video a few years ago where it was mentioned that Paul didn't even really love disc golf. It just ended up that he was so great at it that he kept doing it.

This could have been a dream, but I really think that I saw it on one of those "sit down/AMA" type videos.

And I am not passing this on as my opinion in any way. It was just burning a hole through my brain, waiting for an appropriate time to post it. And I think that this is the time.

Also don't think they want Nikko back.

4jHihTc.jpg

I thought I saw a video a few years ago where it was mentioned that Paul didn't even really love disc golf. It just ended up that he was so great at it that he kept doing it.

This could have been a dream, but I really think that I saw it on one of those "sit down/AMA" type videos.

And I am not passing this on as my opinion in any way. It was just burning a hole through my brain, waiting for an appropriate time to post it. And I think that this is the time.

I haven't seen that video but how you feel one day to the next can change. The way the question was asked could have influenced his answer, etc.

I have a hard time believing he would work as hard as he does if he didn't enjoy the game. He could have translated that work into a much higher paying career. He's had enough money in the bank at various points in his early twenties that it wouldn't have been unthinkable to completely change paths and pursue a passion.

Just my thoughts, I don't know Paul from Adam, I've never even met him.

This is just speculation, but I would guess that Paul gets his cut when they are stamped, not when they are actually sold. It would make more accounting sense rather than wait until they are sent out. And Paul's contract is thru the end of the year, so there is a good chance that Innova could produce quite a few more yet this year and sell them. And Paul would reap the rewards.

I thought stock stamp sig discs were paid out on the basis of how many were stamped, versus tour series discs on how many are sold.

I'm just looking forward to seeing more variety as someone who throws mostly Discraft.

The big question is, will all the innova fan boys swallow their pride and try out some Discraft plastic if Paul's stamp is on it?

I've tossed a little bit of everything, but will confess to being a bit of an Innova fan. I own some discs from discraft, MVP, Kastaplast, Dynamic, L64, and a few others. But my bag is all Innova save for the Vibram Summit (it is in an ongoing battle with my Nova for the approach shot slot).

I will confess to being interested in trying out more of discrafts lineup and will probably be buying and trying whatever Paul puts in his bag save for the drivers. I really don't have any business throwing most discs over about 11 speed (and even that is a stretch for this old, out of shape wannabe, lol).

That was from a facebook post. There was a thread about it.... https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107206&highlight=mcbeth

For those that don't have facebook...

"For all those who truly know me. you understand Disc Golf has never been my top priority and it's never even been top 3. I would be the first to tell you that. I don't have the passion for the sport that 90% of the players in the world do." - Paul McBeth July-2014

There was an interview from around the same time, Disc Golfer magazine maybe, where he said he didn't plan to play into his 40's.

^^ What was he 24 y/o at the time?

I'll believe it when he stops playing and no longer makes a dime doing something involving disc golf.

For those that don't have facebook...

"For all those who truly know me. you understand Disc Golf has never been my top priority and it's never even been top 3. I would be the first to tell you that. I don't have the passion for the sport that 90% of the players in the world do." - Paul McBeth July-2014

Thanks. Guess it wasn't just a dream.:p

Very interesting. I like the "No BS" quality to it. :clap:

For not being top three on his list, he sure is great at it. Maybe it falls under some blanket priority like being succussful and providing for his future, thus the amount of hard work put into it.

Last edited:
Would be very interesting if Paul got partial ownership of Discraft. Who owns it now?
Seems like a great move for Paul, maybe a bit of an overreach for the current owners, imothrowbot.

The company wouldn't necessarily get any additional benefit from Paul being a part owner, compared with "just" having him as a sponsored player. And even that benefit is not exactly guaranteed; future performance yet to be seen, possibility of injuries or other roadblocks, etc.

And Paul won't be playing forever, but he would keep whatever partial ownership stake he got. So overall, it would just a big get on Paul's side and a pretty steep cost for Discraft. Not sure how they would plan to leverage his support going forward. There are a lot of options, but we haven't really seen that type of arrangement in the past.

If that is indeed what is going down, that explains why things no longer worked out with Innova. I would fully expect that if Paul asked Dunipace & Co. for a similar deal, they'd tell him to shove it (perhaps phrased more delicately).

So will Paul McBeth be getting all of the royalty money from the sudden increase in sales of his signature discs? Or did Innova post that announcement the moment Paul's contract ended?

I didn't ask this question directly, but people at Innova have told me that his contract runs through 12/31/18 (sorry that's 31/12/18 for our European friends), and Paul is abiding by that. I'm interpreting two things out of that:

1 - this gives context to the lack of announcement by Paul (I've also been told that both Paul and Innova are leaving off on good terms and that the proverbial door will always be open to him).

2 - the contract as signed will remain in effect until the New Year, including all royalties, etc.

This is just speculation, but I would guess that Paul gets his cut when they are stamped, not when they are actually sold. It would make more accounting sense rather than wait until they are sent out. And Paul's contract is thru the end of the year, so there is a good chance that Innova could produce quite a few more yet this year and sell them. And Paul would reap the rewards.

I thought stock stamp sig discs were paid out on the basis of how many were stamped, versus tour series discs on how many are sold.

This is my understanding as well.

JV, you are underestimating queue times for a company that size. They don't wake up in the morning and figure out what they're gonna mold. The queue's are months long, as all of the discmaniacs understand quite well...because when a Discmania mold takes off and they run out, people essentially end up waiting until a) more can be stamped or b) more can be molded. The wait for the latter is usually a few months.

You could make a quick change and cheaply pump out extra product...but I think consumers would frankly see through that and it would end up being product left on shelves.

My interpretation of that video (and post circa 2014) - and this is just my .02 here - is that it needs the context of baseball. I think baseball was always his first love, and when we filmed some stuff with him a few years ago (that didn't release...yet...but that's a rabbit hole), we were at a little league diamond where he was fielding grounders from his brother and lasering them to the fence behind first base. His grandpa was there telling me, "watch the way he moves to the ball" etc.

I think the original dream destiny for Paul was the MLB. Disc golf popped up as an opportunity in his teens, and he pulled the thread to get to where he is.

Without that context, it seems like he was saying, "nah I'm not really into it" - but I think he was meaning that (referring to the 2014 post here) he was realizing that he was at the end of the road as far as his talent alone could take him, and he would need to make it a bigger priority in order to turn (at the time) a shock-the-world pair of World Championships into a long-term career at the top.

Remember that in 2014, the last time we saw back-to-back world champions was Barry Schultz in 03-04, and nobody since Climo had gone 3-in-a-row.

Latest posts