• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

If Paul switches to disc craft will Innova still be able to sell all those Paul stamped disks? Wouldn't it be to Paul's advantage in the long run if two major disc manufacturers are selling discs stamped with his name and accomplishments ?
Is Paul's name/accomplishments a royalty generating asset, or just a marketing asset that makes him valuable to a manufacturer?
Is Paul a big enough force that he could get paid by a driver manufacturer, a mids manufacturer, and a putter manufacturer all different? Is his name a valuable enough asset, he could get two or more companies to "share"?

There is no disc golf draft.

The disc golf companies engage in all night Fortnite dg Battle Royales, and conduct microtransactions during the game to collect the players. ;)

Switch it to League of Legends and I'm so in. Fortnite is for kids and Drake. :gross::p

This would be pretty significant and is probably a lot closer to happening than the internet crystal-ballers would have you believe.

I'm not skeptical in the sense that I don't think those 3 would move. I'm skeptical that Discraft can afford all of the time and attention necessary for those names. I'd bet they get 2/3, and that ain't bad.

THAT SAID. Discraft is definitely the company I'm least connected with, not by intent but just by happenstance, so I don't have many first-hand interactions to judge against (in terms of their company culture, team-building paradigm, etc.)

With Innova or Discmania, I have spent more time with people there so I feel like I can offer a slightly more educated guess. Discraft might shock me in addition to the rest of the world.

Jones has offers from both Discraft and Prodigy. Prodigy offered him a lot more money (I'm not sure what "a lot" means in the disc golf world). No guarantee he leaves prodiscus, but if he does, I'm betting its for Prodigy

I'm not skeptical in the sense that I don't think those 3 would move. I'm skeptical that Discraft can afford all of the time and attention necessary for those names. I'd bet they get 2/3, and that ain't bad.

Why don't you think they can afford them? Are ultimate sales not what i think they are? Or is time and attention more important than money? Does Charlie have any insight here? I'm sure this will all be discussed.

Part of the massive Discraft move that makes sense to me is that their disc lineup needs a refresh anyway. So creating a bunch of new molds is what they were going to do already, and those molds will sell better will Paul's name on them. Maybe they'll do the same for Jones and Uli, but on a smaller scale. That could explain Jones turning down more money upfront from Prodigy, if that's indeed what happens.

Last edited:
Damn. SmashBoxx getting all the hot gossip and info.

I'm a couple weeks behind in watching you guys and I've been trying catch up. So this is sort of a spoiler. But I just wanted to thank you again for putting out a great podcast. :thmbup:

I visited a disc golf store yesterday, got to talking with the owner. I asked about his stock of Z Forces. He said, "the real question is, does Mcbeth like the Force?"

It turns out he was told by his Innova sales rep that Paul is indeed getting picked up by Discraft. Nobody can talk because contract is through January 1st.

I believe this guy 75% I guess, but it's the only real chatter I've heard beyond the speculative interwebs.

McBeth has spent so much time branding himself, will moving to Discraft ultimately hurt him?

Think of all the hard core Paul fans who would just drop him, not to mention the hard core Discrafters who have and will resent him. Will Anthony Barrella quit disc golf!:p

I know I'm an old timer in thought, but I have a certain respect for loyalty that does seem somewhat outdated, but if Paul jumped ship, my support for him would drop to a little above zero.

Why don't you think they can afford them? Are ultimate sales not what i think they are? Or is time and attention more important than money? Does Charlie have any insight here? I'm sure this will all be discussed.

Part of the massive Discraft move that makes sense to me is that their disc lineup needs a refresh anyway. So creating a bunch of new molds is what they were going to do already, and those molds will sell better will Paul's name on them. Maybe they'll do the same for Jones and Uli, but on a smaller scale. That could explain Jones turning down more money upfront from Prodigy, if that's indeed what happened.

Even if Discraft has all this alleged "Ultimate money", why are they investing it in disc golf? If Ultimate is making them so much money (and I don't doubt they make a great deal of money from Ultimate), the right business decision would be to re-invest and continue to grow Ultimate with it, no?

As for the "refresh" of their line, they've been releasing new discs at the same rate as everyone else. In the last two years, they've 7 new molds on the PDGA approved list. In the same time, Innova has 15, though 11 of them are 3-mold variants of previously existing discs. To be fair, two of Discraft's seven are variants on the Challenger (OS and SS). But still, five brand new discs from Discraft, four brand new discs from Innova. Dynamic has seven new approved discs in the same period (not counting Sheriff approved on 12/29/16). Lat64 has ten new molds. Legacy five. Prodigy ten. Westside seven. Discmania five.

Suffice to say, Discraft hasn't gone stale. I can't imagine they've got a great deal of new molds in the works beyond what any other brand might have. And even if they do, is a brand new, unproven mold really an enticement for a player to want their signature on it? Unless they're involved with the creation of the disc, seems to me they'd rather have a proven commodity to make the jump. Especially a guy like McBeth who already has his name on a couple of the best selling discs on the market.

I visited a disc golf store yesterday, got to talking with the owner. I asked about his stock of Z Forces. He said, "the real question is, does Mcbeth like the Force?"

It turns out he was told by his Innova sales rep that Paul is indeed getting picked up by Discraft. Nobody can talk because contract is through January 1st.

I believe this guy 75% I guess, but it's the only real chatter I've heard beyond the speculative interwebs.

For nobody can talk; there is a lot of talk.

This is the same ol speculation turned into "sources" that has existed for eternity.

For nobody can talk; there is a lot of talk.

This is the same ol speculation turned into "sources" that has existed for eternity.

I happen to know that Paul is absolutely leaving Innova for Discraft.. Now, it's not in my nature to be mysterious but I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why

I happen to know that Paul is absolutely leaving Innova for Discraft.. Now, it's not in my nature to be mysterious but I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why

Implying you were trusted enough to be told but then spilled the beans anyway. Yay internet.

I haven't said Paul wouldn't leave, I thought it was unlikely but stranger things have happened.

Latest posts