• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

I feel like all the Paul Talk needs to move to another thread. Or maybe start up a new thread about other players moving.

Gonna be tricky to get admins to create another thread. Maybe the folks over at SmashboxxTV can pull some strings.

I think it is funny that people still can't understand that he is going to Discraft.

It's a complete level of disrespect towards Discraft. Just because they haven't had success at the top of the sport in the last few years, people think that it's not possible.

I can't speak about other companies and this doesn't mean that the level of support isn't equal, but Discraft treats us team members with absolute class, professionalism and honesty. There's a reason, save a few outlining examples and the Prodigy shift, that people don't leave Discraft.

If any other company doubled my sponsorship deal, I would say no. Discraft is just too good to us.

If anyone joins us in 2019, this is a big part of it.

Nah, it's more the climate of lies, fake news, and general suspicion. McBeth leaving Innova is perceived as highly unlikely; hence what you see as disrespect has more to do with the analysis of who gets the most benefit from promulgating the move.

Seems like healthy skepticism to me.

Paul keeps up with how well his discs are selling and he sees the owners of Innova and Discmania making money off disc golfers, most likely he is taking a page from their book to start his own company.

Perhaps Innova will still make them for now under his name, especially if Discmania is completely moving shop to Colorado and not having to rely on Innova anymore. For now Innova is mass producing Mcbeth discs to make tons of profit.

Mcbeth seems to strive to be the best, to be the boss, to leave a legacy; I don't see how a different sponsorship will help this, it would be like starting over, too many unknowns. He knows discs with his name will sell, he just needs to have a way to produce them himself, Innova could be that bridge for now. This would ensure a great future even when he can't compete with the youngsters anymore and this is why he needs to do it sooner than later while his is still at the top.

No, McBeth is going to Discraft. Not even worth engaging in this line of discussion but if Paul did want to start something new, if he was smart he would partner with a smaller company and buy stake in it. I mean how many times can you slice a teebird.

Innova knows pros don't actually move the needle so while they tolerated the previous high price tag, there is no benefit to being held hostage. The bump in sales from their main accounts like academy and Dicks is so small it would be better to save the royalties.

Frisco Open. Like the sandwich Hardy's and Carl's Jr. make, Carl's Jr. as it is called in California could even become a sponsor.

Another crazy thing I learned when I moved out here from NC - I'm sitting there like "How has Hardy's not sued them" - and then I learned.

...and I subsequently found out that, no, Carl's Jr. is not any better than Hardy's. It will still make you ooze greasy shame and regret.

Paul was getting 150k a year from Innova? Fact check, link, etc, please. Thx.

Dude, you've really got to stop searching for empirical evidence of Innova's numbers in this thread, lol. Nobody has them, Innova doesn't share that information.

That said, I think the $150k/yr cash is ballpark accurate for McBeth's previous 3-year deal. I only know the info 3rd hand, I've never asked Paul directly (there's just other things I'd rather talk to him about), but it lines up with what I've heard.

Ok, I'm sorry I know this isn't the place for real questions, but I have to ask:

Doesn't starting your own company require a generous amount of start up capital? Equipment, materials, advertising, shipping network, property, and probably more things I can't think of. Does he have the money to get that kind of business off the ground and competitive with the dozens of other companies already going? It would be a great legacy-move, but if his goal is financial security, it's a huge risk without some backers

You are correct. Rest assured, Paul isn't starting his own company. The original rumor was that he's incubating a brand with his new sponsor...kinda like a Jordan <-> Nike connection (or Tiger). That spiraled into people thinking he's going to take a 90-degree turn with his career after becoming only the 4th player in history to win a 2nd US Title (Schusterick, Schultz, Climo), and finishing 1-1-1-1-2-2-2 at the last 7 World Championships.

Paul isn't trading his lead card tee off time for a desk in his mid/late 20's.

When did Uli re-up?

There was a 2 year old Ultiworld article that floated around r/discgolf the other day. Some people were saying that it popped up in their latest news feed, and they didn't realize it was from when Uli signed this contract that is set to expire soon. I'm guessing that's why it keeps getting mentioned.

So will Paul McBeth be getting all of the royalty money from the sudden increase in sales of his signature discs? Or did Innova post that announcement the moment Paul's contract ended?

What about Nikko? He seemed to be playing well this year. I haven't looked at the PDGA site for stats but seems like he was on a lot of videos this year.

Seemed like a pretty typical year for Nikko. Good showing at B/C tier with some wins. A tiers and up he had a win or two, but most had a good finish.

He's cleaned up his image significantly in recent years and he's always been a great guy off the course. But is there a company ready to give him another chance because he's been with just about everyone.
Does he even want to leave Gateway? Would he lose ability to promote Flylife if he signs somewhere? Gateway gave him tour series Wizards to help and they've drastically improved their premium plastic. I'm curious if he's helped improve Spirit sales with all the talk of them on Jomez/CCDG.

If something were to happen I'd guess Legacy/Prodiscus/MVP again. Then he can promote them, Gateway, and Flylife while still throwing a mixed bag.

If something were to happen I'd guess Legacy/Prodiscus/MVP again. Then he can promote them, Gateway, and Flylife while still throwing a mixed bag.

Don't think MVP allows mixed bags any more since they've filled out their lineup. Also don't think they want Nikko back.

So will Paul McBeth be getting all of the royalty money from the sudden increase in sales of his signature discs? Or did Innova post that announcement the moment Paul's contract ended?

This is just speculation, but I would guess that Paul gets his cut when they are stamped, not when they are actually sold. It would make more accounting sense rather than wait until they are sent out. And Paul's contract is thru the end of the year, so there is a good chance that Innova could produce quite a few more yet this year and sell them. And Paul would reap the rewards.

It's a complete level of disrespect towards Discraft. Just because they haven't had success at the top of the sport in the last few years, people think that it's not possible.
I can't speak about other companies and this doesn't mean that the level of support isn't equal, but Discraft treats us team members with absolute class, professionalism and honesty. There's a reason, save a few outlining examples and the Prodigy shift, that people don't leave
If any other company doubled my sponsorship deal, I would say no. Discraft is just too good to us.
If anyone joins us in 2019, this is a big part of it.

Discraft has indeed upped their game in recent times. When I started playing DG a few years ago, the discs didn't feel great in the hand (i.e. plastics weren't so hot), the colors weren't good at all (pastels, not bright, easily lost in the natural colors of DG courses), etc.

Then some good discs came out, in bright new colors and in plastics that were good (Jawbreaker, and IMHO the Z plastic got better). I started buying some Discraft discs, including a Val 4x Thrasher, the AvengerSS, the Archer, and Challenger and APX putters in the Jawbreaker plastic.

And now McBeast is coming into the fold? Things are really looking up for Discraft!

I enjoy watching Nikko play, but he burned the MVP bridge to the ground. McBeth is more likely to sign with wham-o than Nikko with MVP.

Was there something significant that happened between them? Or just the lack of throwing MVP discs and promoting them when he was sponsored with them?

Is this thread's 15 minutes up yet?

this is the disc golf equivalent of Formula 1's "Silly Season" where rampant speculation and team moves are all the talk - because there's not much going on in terms of events.

Probably going to last into January.

That spiraled into people thinking he's going to take a 90-degree turn with his career after becoming only the 4th player in history to win a 2nd US Title (Schusterick, Schultz, Climo), and finishing 1-1-1-1-2-2-2 at the last 7 World Championships.

Paul isn't trading his lead card tee off time for a desk in his mid/late 20's.

Something non-competitors will never understand.

When you're at the top, you don't look for a way out. You always want to win. You're the best and there's no one better when your firing on all cylinders.

I predict Paul will compete and be in the top 5 until 35 and top 10 until 40. He might take some time off near the end of that timeframe but before long he will be back competing. Probably in Masters occasionally and Open at Majors.

Paul obviously loves disc golf but I bet you could challenge him to any competition and he would accept and want to win. At his core, he's just a fierce competitor.