• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

How long before PMB MFC T3s go up in value?

Cash in on the hype of people buying all the innova stuff with his name up. There are so many discs with his name on them in circulation, I can't imagine the value will get any higher(maybe will depend by mold and run). He reminds me of being at the Ken Climo level with some of his discs. People will be either looking for that one run with his name or focusing on pre McBeth runs.

Last edited:
i'm surprised how many people are assuming PMB will get a company stake at Discraft.

they're a big company and disc golf is just a small part. the best-selling Discraft disc is the UltraStar. i highly doubt they are giving away company stakes just to lure a player to sponsor. it's far more likely that the deal was a better offer on royalties and a promise of a full time, salaried position upon retirement... Director of Disc Golf Operations?

i think it's a real smart move on the part of both Discraft and PMB. Paul should be thinking about his legacy and decades of royalties off signature discs... and if Discraft offers a better deal in that regard then it's a no-brainer. and Discraft knows that PMB will be a household name in disc golf for at least a generation. having a future Hall-of-Famer on the playing team and then eventually on the corporate team will guarantee their relevance for a long time.

i'm surprised how many people are assuming PMB will get a company stake at Discraft.

they're a big company and disc golf is just a small part. the best-selling Discraft disc is the UltraStar. i highly doubt they are giving away company stakes just to lure a player to sponsor. it's far more likely that the deal was a better offer on royalties and a promise of a full time, salaried position upon retirement... Director of Disc Golf Operations?

i think it's a real smart move on the part of both Discraft and PMB. Paul should be thinking about his legacy and decades of royalties off signature discs... and if Discraft offers a better deal in that regard then it's a no-brainer. and Discraft knows that PMB will be a household name in disc golf for at least a generation. having a future Hall-of-Famer on the playing team and then eventually on the corporate team will guarantee their relevance for a long time.

I'm surprised how many people are assuming he's going to Discraft at all

I mean I know it was the early rumor

We could easily speculate 5 different good options

I didn't ask this question directly, but people at Innova have told me that his contract runs through 12/31/18 (sorry that's 31/12/18 for our European friends), and Paul is abiding by that. I'm interpreting two things out of that:

1 - this gives context to the lack of announcement by Paul (I've also been told that both Paul and Innova are leaving off on good terms and that the proverbial door will always be open to him).

2 - the contract as signed will remain in effect until the New Year, including all royalties, etc.

This is my understanding as well.

JV, you are underestimating queue times for a company that size. They don't wake up in the morning and figure out what they're gonna mold. The queue's are months long, as all of the discmaniacs understand quite well...because when a Discmania mold takes off and they run out, people essentially end up waiting until a) more can be stamped or b) more can be molded. The wait for the latter is usually a few months.

You could make a quick change and cheaply pump out extra product...but I think consumers would frankly see through that and it would end up being product left on shelves.

My interpretation of that video (and post circa 2014) - and this is just my .02 here - is that it needs the context of baseball. I think baseball was always his first love, and when we filmed some stuff with him a few years ago (that didn't release...yet...but that's a rabbit hole), we were at a little league diamond where he was fielding grounders from his brother and lasering them to the fence behind first base. His grandpa was there telling me, "watch the way he moves to the ball" etc.

I think the original dream destiny for Paul was the MLB. Disc golf popped up as an opportunity in his teens, and he pulled the thread to get to where he is.

Without that context, it seems like he was saying, "nah I'm not really into it" - but I think he was meaning that (referring to the 2014 post here) he was realizing that he was at the end of the road as far as his talent alone could take him, and he would need to make it a bigger priority in order to turn (at the time) a shock-the-world pair of World Championships into a long-term career at the top.

Remember that in 2014, the last time we saw back-to-back world champions was Barry Schultz in 03-04, and nobody since Climo had gone 3-in-a-row.

I believe Climo to that point in 2014, was the only player to go 3 in a row for World Championship wins but went more then that. Could be wrong and might have a player in the late 1980's- early 1990's who won 3 in a row.

Climo was the only winner of the USDGC for a long time as the tournament is only from 1999 but won the USDGC longer then people had expected. Before 1999 PDGA did not have an official USA Tournament since the 1980's with the US Open ending in at latest in really early 1990's and before the US Open the American Fly Disc Open or AFDO for short, dating back to 1974.

I believe Climo to that point in 2014, was the only player to go 3 in a row for World Championship wins but went more then that. Could be wrong and might have a player in the late 1980's- early 1990's who won 3 in a row.

Climo was the only winner of the USDGC for a long time as the tournament is only from 1999 but won the USDGC longer then people had expected. Before 1999 PDGA did not have an official USA Tournament since the 1980's with the US Open ending in at latest in really early 1990's and before the US Open the American Fly Disc Open or AFDO for short, dating back to 1974.

In 2014, Climo and Schultz had both won consecutive worlds titles but Climo was the only one with three.
Also, he did not win USDGC longer than people expected, unless that means just the first two. Barry won in 2001.

Last edited:
I don't understand how people still don't get that he's going to Discraft

They are working through their own fanboy loyalties and have entered into denial of him leaving Innova, instead of choosing to either be an Innova fanboy or a Paul fanboy and changing their bags to Discraft.

I'm surprised how many people are assuming he's going to Discraft at all

I mean I know it was the early rumor

We could easily speculate 5 different good options

Let's just pretend that we don't already know he's going to Discraft. I'd like to hear your take on 5 good options.

As far as discs go, I don't throw any thing Paul throws anyway (except for a Nova I play practice rounds with).

So his moving to a new sponsor is probably not going to entice me into throw anything he throws with them either.

I like Paul because I like the way he plays and his personality on the course, beyond that, I'm certainly not going to make an "how I saved $500 dollars switching to an all Discraft bag" video! By the way dumb A$$, you didn't save anything, you spent an additional $500.

Sorry Paul, my bag is pretty much set, you won't be making a cent off me. Look forward to watching you play though.

Even rumors confirmed by existing Discraft team members?

Have the rumors actually been confirmed by anyone related to Discraft? Like actually confirmed? Nobody has said "nope this is fake news" but I haven't seen anyone say "yep in 2019 Paul will be slinging Discraft".

However, I'm not super plugged into the DG news world and might have missed something.

Let's just pretend that we don't already know he's going to Discraft. I'd like to hear your take on 5 good options.

Personally as a fan, I don't care much for Paul - but a lot of people do and a lot of people love Innova, so it's a messy breakup.

Discraft: It makes a lot of sense, of course. They could proably pay up, have a large disc line up (except the putter plastic thing) and have no touring names anymore.
The biggest business thing I see though is the crossover marketing they can do with Ultimate is mindblowingly huge. I came from college ultimate days, and there are maybe a hundred thousand more playing ultimate that could buy up a few golf discs. I don't know what ads look like on AUDL broadcasts but I bet they'll have some disc golf ads soon.

Dynamic: boy this would rock the world. They have the disc line up, and I gotta think they're making money. I can't believe how large their wholesale order form is. They have a stupid amount of things available between the three sister companies, and have eyes especially around Growing the Sport in order to grow their bottom line.

DiscMania: I'm a fan of the brand, image, and Jussi. The disc lineup is enough, and maybe familiar. Money wise they might need to work a deal with Innova if Paul needs top dollars up front. Jussi has a vision completely on the international growth level, and also wants to present DG to the world as an absolute top tier professional sport. With Simon's 5 year deal and Eagle basically confirming staying on it would be a really top heavy team, but probably the least shake-up

MVP: Maybe more of a shake up than DD because its a culture shock. I've read a few things about MVP business model and these guys are really smart engineers and business folks. They ventured out with this crazy overmold thing, and only made putters. Then they made mids. Thats when I tried a few like 8 years ago but was frusterated they didn't make drivers. They had a set long term plan, and they stuck to it. I'm pretty sure I read about a 5 year plan a while back that included adding players in the coming years. Well they added Dollar and wow if they could land a McBeth

McBeth Disc Golf: I read this on the internet. Maybe he could brand himself and have someone mold up discs with his branding on it. Seems like an uncertain business as a newly wed looking to cement his future, but it could happen.

Well, looking at lists of top selling discs is pretty dull these days - Innova has most of the top 20 - Buzzz, Judge, are usually the only regular interlopers in this charts, courtesy of Infinite and DGC. Spreading the wealth is good with me.

Yes, but all that is going to change when Paul goes to Discraft. I predict Forces galore, Cranks galloping, Nukes not napping, Surges.. surging.

That was a lot of setup to get to a weak punchline.

It's hard to believe that Innova ever sold any discs before Paul came along. I think a refresher by a Tri fan, on the strategies that Tri employed to take a chunk out of Innova are in order.

Even rumors confirmed by existing Discraft team members?

I'm just not believing the hype until more credible sources come out and say something. Like if MJ came on here and said he will be throwing "Discraft", not DGA or not Discraft molding McBeth his own line of discs. Then I would 100% believe it. But so far I havent seen it.

I am of a similar opinion to Keller. I like the way Paul plays. I somewhat tried to model my putting after his. But I don't throw anything he currently throws, though I do own a Teebird, it's just not in the bag.

If he goes to Discraft, he would have to start throwing the only disc of theirs I occasionally throw in order for me to buy one of his discs.

Now MVP, that could be interesting.