• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

If they're dropping Smashboxx, then maybe they'll be partnering with Fulcrum (the guys that did USDGC, I believe)? Cause not of the other big players in post-produced have done live coverage, right? Avery, JT and Climo on commentary???

If DGPT drops Smashboxx for Fulcrum, I will eat a turd sandwich. The live coverage following the lead card was sub-par at best.

Before every tournament, players could update their bags into the Udisc database? (Or the caddy could do it?)

This is a really cool idea, my cynical side predicts that you'd get 10 players that did it regularly, but it would be great if you could get participation.

If they're dropping Smashboxx, then maybe they'll be partnering with Fulcrum (the guys that did USDGC, I believe)? Cause not of the other big players in post-produced have done live coverage, right? Avery, JT and Climo on commentary???

Doubtful that Fulcrum is getting the call, simple fact is that Dodge doesn't pay well even by disc golf standards. If he's dropping Smashboxx, who has been giving the DGPT unsustainable (low) rates for 3 years, I really don't know what he's doing.

I had a feeling that smashboxx was gonna get cut out. Another win for "grow the sport." Its feeling less and less like a community and more and more like a commodity already.

I think this is the double edge of "grow the sport". If some want a growth, money is the pathway. Money does not have altruism as its principle motivation......it is profit. There is no obligation to community, the game or fans, outside of the benefit it provides for profit.

This is a really cool idea, my cynical side predicts that you'd get 10 players that did it regularly, but it would be great if you could get participation.

Just show on video coverage only the bags of those players who have done it. It may become quite popular quickly..

If you're hoping pros will update their bags on UDisc before tournaments, you should also hope that videographers create a good graphic and sound effect for when a disc gets lost mid-round. Imagine the carnage of a windy Memorial being offset by the noise of Super Mario running into a Goomba.

insert flushing sound here...

I remember plenty of older CCDG vids where Ian could comment on the entire card's disc selection. I think he even mentioned that he personally took a look at everyone's bag on the card before starting the round. Maybe if the viewers request this type of commentary, then the film crews would take the time to do it. Even if it's a list to pass on to the commentators (though bags with all the same color discs or multiples, would be harder to comment on.)

wait...my comments had nothing to do with Discmania btw. How did it get twisted in that direction? Oh how we love the internet. lol...

That's how it started. Someone, that's getting "excited" over the upcoming recession apparently, commented about Discmania (and Simon) moving to Colorado.

(I think Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and El Paso, are cool btw. Just like you might prefer the more remote, homogeneous parts of California.)

Also, who would disc golfers collectively bargain with? They are exclusively paid by sponsorships (there are literally no unions when it comes to pro sports sponsorships) or tournament winnings (would they have to bargain with the literally thousands of tournament directors). I grant that if disc golf ever gets to the point that they are on TV/selling tickets for spectators and someone is raking in money other than the players, they should absolutely unionize.

Until that time, the best they can do for other players is to disclose the details of their sponsorship deals. I think JT can speak more to this as he has done so on the Upshot, but more info equals a better base on which the player can bargain with the sponsor. Also, I am not sure how many of these players can even afford an agent, but having professionals to do the negotiating is a big step. I assure you McBeth does for whatever he has cooking, but he is an exception.

It's surely complicated. Agree on agents. Agree on disclosing contracts. Would propose a pro players' board if there isn't one already.

I also want to point out that although I have disagreed with you a lot Orioles_Lefty, I don't actually think we are that different in what we want for professional athletes or any working people for that matter. These are the type of conversations our society needs to have and unions, despite bringing a lot of it upon themselves, often get unfairly demonized. They have done and continue to do a lot for this country and most people are benefiting from what they did. If we are not careful, all of the good could be undone.

And that is all I have to say about that.

Same to you. Cheers.

Why are we still talking politics here? Water cooler, guys. That includes union talk.

Isn't the internet the world's water cooler? What is and isn't political is subjective. Actually everything is political.

The UDisc idea for what pros are bagging is GOLD! - Maybe update the UI and allow/require scorekeepers to fill in what "their" pro is carrying. Just a table they can complete before the round. The regular categories - Distance Drivers, Fairway Drivers, Mids, Putters and 3 columns. Color/Plastic/Disc Name. Theoretically these could be drop down menus for the score keepers if UDisc had a database of every disc for each manufacturer, then a drop down for plastic type and color (including shades). Add something to the Udisc score card and/or player profile so viewers, commentators, and all media folks can see each competitors bag. The fans and commentators can deduce what is being thrown from there.

Future state - UDisc has the scorekeeper update the virtual bag, then requires score keepers to select a disc on each shot so the fans/commentators know for sure. That may be asking a bit much from UDisc and the scorekeepers though.

Also,

I like Texas & California.

The UDisc idea for what pros are bagging is GOLD! - Maybe update the UI and allow/require scorekeepers to fill in what "their" pro is carrying. Just a table they can complete before the round. The regular categories - Distance Drivers, Fairway Drivers, Mids, Putters and 3 columns. Color/Plastic/Disc Name. Theoretically these could be drop down menus for the score keepers if UDisc had a database of every disc for each manufacturer, then a drop down for plastic type and color (including shades). Add something to the Udisc score card and/or player profile so viewers, commentators, and all media folks can see each competitors bag. The fans and commentators can deduce what is being thrown from there.

Future state - UDisc has the scorekeeper update the virtual bag, then requires score keepers to select a disc on each shot so the fans/commentators know for sure. That may be asking a bit much from UDisc and the scorekeepers though.

Also,

I like Texas & California.

While I like the UDisc idea, I don't think that the scorekeepers can handle that bandwidth on average, and they have trouble getting the volunteers much of the time. When I played SFO I did the scoring for all 3 of my cards, nobody wanted to do it.

I think it would have to be on the pros to do it. Though I still think it's really not *that* important. I think it's enough info to understand the 2-axis category that the disc falls under (where one axis is speed, and the other is stability). You start to go down a rabbit hole past that - people throw different ways, discs are beat in, the pro may have some discs that fly differently than yours, etc.

Oh...and FWIW I like Texas, they are the best BBQ state, and Brisket should always be smoky. I love Austin, fantastic city that would be in my top 5 places to move if I could just point to a map of the US. I think it's more of the Louisiana in me than the California that likes to chip away at the Texas-sized ego that often comes along with the residency status ;).

Latest posts