• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

I guess disc golf is the only sport that needs to name their equipment after animals or mythical monsters in order to be cool enough for people to buy them. Take ball golf for example, standard clubs, 3-9 iron ect, but the club names read like a model number. Taylor Made's new irons arent the "Taylor Made King Kong Irons" They are Taylor Made P760. Their model number can be compared to the plastic type of our discs, and the type of club is standard. Pretty simple IMO. Maybe not as "cool" or "creative" but its clean, simple, and professional.

I like it. No frills but easier to just grab a disc and go. I have so many discs that I never throw just because I forget what their ratings are. With these, the name tells you. lol

if they went through all that trouble to establish themselves as a manufacturer,they could have put some marketing budget money aside and come up with something creative and easy to remember for people interested in their brand.

Maybe their next product line can be in binary or morse code...

I know this is the complete opposite of this inane comment, but I would think it funny as s*** if Prodigy put out a special release of Morse code discs. It would be so funny to see an in the bag and someone says "here is my ..-. plastic -.--.".

I don't throw Prodigy, but it seems odd to hate on them for their naming system when Discmania seems to be a universally loved (or at least not hated at all) brand. I think they are both flawed naming systems because it does not really allow for adding discs in between, but it is certainly not hard to remember/understand.

I guess disc golf is the only sport that needs to name their equipment after animals or mythical monsters in order to be cool enough for people to buy them. Take ball golf for example, standard clubs, 3-9 iron ect, but the club names read like a model number. Taylor Made's new irons arent the "Taylor Made King Kong Irons" They are Taylor Made P760. Their model number can be compared to the plastic type of our discs, and the type of club is standard. Pretty simple IMO. Maybe not as "cool" or "creative" but its clean, simple, and professional.

Yeah, I've honestly never understood the hate for Prodigy's disc names. Don't get me wrong, Prodigy has had plenty of issues over the years, but the names seemed pretty understandable, if a little boring. Looks at cars and the way they differentiate different versions of a car model. Do you have an Accord EX, DX, LX, SE, or Si? And there are car companies that do put "exciting" names on their models, and then there are car companies like BMW that put strings of random numbers (yes I know the 300 series vs 700 series has a meaning, but it's no hard than D1 vs D4). And yet people find ways to buy and love BMW's. Imagine that.

Take ball golf for example, standard clubs, 3-9 iron ect, but the club names read like a model number. Taylor Made's new irons arent the "Taylor Made King Kong Irons" They are Taylor Made P760. Their model number can be compared to the plastic type of our discs, and the type of club is standard. Pretty simple IMO. Maybe not as "cool" or "creative" but its clean, simple, and professional.

If I wanted cool, I wouldn't be playing Disc Golf.

I get what you are saying but if it were my decision to make, I wouldn't paint myself into a corner with a naming convention like that.

*shrug

I have a better idea. Lets talk about our favorite BBQ abbreviations.

But in all seriousness, this place will be a ghost town after Ricky signs. It's amazing to me how little people seem to care about where he will sign. Paul's signing got so hyped, and people were pretty much telling us "yo, he's definitely going to Discraft" and a bunch of us were like "nah, he's going to Discmania" or whatever. People now are like "yo, Ricky is going to Innova" and a bunch of us are like "....".

I think there a couple of reasons for the lack of real interest in Ricky moving. One, Ricky is HORRIBLE at building hype. He seems to view (based on his comments on instagram) the hype that McBeth has been building the last few weeks/months as being disrespectful to his sponsor. I get not burning bridges but to sacrifice the chance to build your own brand so that the sponsor that you are no longer going to be playing for, the sponsor that didn't want to pay you what you are worth, will like you more just seems a bit crazy.
Two, Paul McBeth leaving Innova was a shock. Sure people had been talking about it for a while before it happened but it wasn't taken THAT serious. I know that I was honestly kind of shocked when it happened because it seemed more like a joke than anything else. Paul had always thrown Innova and they had almost become like Nike and Jordan in my mind, it just didn't compute that he would ever change. Rick has changed several times in just the last few years, Innova, Prodigy, Lat64, its nothing new or shocking really.
When Paul left, despite the copious number of insiders saying that he was going discraft it was still fun to speculate where he would actually land. Rick... idk it just doesn't matter as much for some reason. IMO the only way Ricky signing makes any real waves is if he ends up at Discraft as well. Innova (or Discmania maybe?) seem like pretty sure bets.

/me slowly covers his Callaway Great Big Bertha War Bird Driver because its not clean, simple or professional enough for ball golf.

:p

I don't throw Prodigy, but it seems odd to hate on them for their naming system when Discmania seems to be a universally loved (or at least not hated at all) brand. I think they are both flawed naming systems because it does not really allow for adding discs in between, but it is certainly not hard to remember/understand.

Granted, however it is nowhere really stated 1:1 that with DM the bigger number would always equate more stability. They went and threw in the "x" also starting last year (in P1x, PDX, DDx, P3x).

But yeah, the molds being named like they are with Prodigy is fine with me, but the plastics I will never learn. With Discmania, D-line, P-line, S-line etc is pretty straightforward especially when you remember they are molded by Innova and thus their plastic obviously conforms.

Ricky is HORRIBLE at building hype. He seems to view (based on his comments on instagram) the hype that McBeth has been building the last few weeks/months as being disrespectful to his sponsor. I get not burning bridges but to sacrifice the chance to build your own brand so that the sponsor that you are no longer going to be playing for, the sponsor that didn't want to pay you what you are worth, will like you more just seems a bit crazy.

I have always wondered how much Ricky doesn't like doing social media vs. he is horrible at it. Of course he would get better if he did it more, but he may just hate doing it. He seems very introverted to me. I have a buddy that talks a lot and naturally with friends, but is incredibly socially awkward with people he does not know and does not go anywhere near social media.

Ricky is not one of my favorite players because of this, although I certainly don't dislike him in any way. But I definitely enjoyed watching disc golf in previous years when he and McBeth had more head to head battles. Disc golf is more fun to watch when the McBeast has someone consistently going back and forth with him.

I don't throw Prodigy, but it seems odd to hate on them for their naming system when Discmania seems to be a universally loved (or at least not hated at all) brand...

Going to the number system for Discmania was an improvement, though. That scandinavian death metal theme Jussi wanted to go with, was at best, ironically cool.

some of those early DM stamps were badass but they mailed it in on others.

210.jpg
VS.
P_DD2_Frenzy_600px__70078.1506273887.jpg

Last edited:
if they went through all that trouble to establish themselves as a manufacturer,they could have put some marketing budget money aside and come up with something creative and easy to remember for people interested in their brand.

Maybe their next product line can be in binary or morse code...

They should just go with braille printed into the disc. You can just reach into your bag and know what you're grabbing, after as much learning curve as the current system.

Going to the number system for Discmania was an improvement, though. That scandinavian death metal theme Jussi wanted to go with, was at best, ironically cool.

Actually you've got it backwards. Jussi wanted clean cut look. Simple naming system, straightforward stamps, clean design.

Dave Dunipace didn't believe a P2 or a PD or an FD would sell, but a Psycho and a Freak would. So Dave created the theme around "Mania" with Psycho, Maniac, Frenzy, Freak, Chaos, Jackal...

Jussi is now established and a few years ago moved all the stamps back to the clean cut look.

Interestingly... they've also established "throwback" stamps that will unexpectedly drop over the coming years and we'll all go crazy for em.

Discmania's naming scheme is also vague enough to allow for mold variances...whereas Prodigy's just make them look sloppy when you get an F7 that's more OS than a F2 or whatever.

Actually you've got it backwards. Jussi wanted clean cut look. Simple naming system, straightforward stamps, clean design.

Dave Dunipace didn't believe a P2 or a PD or an FD would sell, but a Psycho and a Freak would. So Dave created the theme around "Mania" with Psycho, Maniac, Frenzy, Freak, Chaos, Jackal...

Jussi is now established and a few years ago moved all the stamps back to the clean cut look.

Interestingly... they've also established "throwback" stamps that will unexpectedly drop over the coming years and we'll all go crazy for em.

Ah, you're right. I just re-read that interview.

If you look at it, the theme was obviously "mental disorders" or some such. Kinda like DD has the legal system thingy. I am glad Discmania moved away from it, although sometimes I like to think what a PDX f.ex. would be had they continued it. I think Chaos(PD2) and Jackal(FD) were the last ones, and they were already away from the lunacy theme.