• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

fair point. as evidence by the fan boy movement to discraft over the last few weeks. . .

Yea a guy was chatting with me on the course right after the McBeth announcement. I showed him my bag, told him I'd been playing for a long time which is why I throw mostly Innova. As soon as he saw my one Comet he flipped out! Started going on about switching to Discraft, asked if I was. Never mentioned McBeth but the connection was pretty clear.

Well Prodigy (2012) is using a modified Discmania (2006) naming convention.

Here's the 15 sec on Discmania:

For Putters, Mids, and Fairways - higher # is more overstable. The reason the MD doesn't have a number is because there was already a MD1 that was discontinued (it wasn't very understable anyway).

For Drivers, it's about the shot type, not stability. They're "families" of drivers. Turning, Control, Distance, Power.

I believe for Prodigy it's the opposite - lower # is more overstable.

Still doesn't make as much sense as Prodigy's number system. A D1 is overstable. A D6 is understable. If you would know that you can get the idea of what other groups are, such as the mids or putters.

Plus if you look at the DD family by them, it's all over the place. A DD is 11/5/0/2. A DDX is 12/6/-1/2. A DD2 is 12/5/-2/2. The DD family is all over the place.

Basically what I'm getting at is the irrationality people have for Prodigy's naming system, but think Discmania's is perfectly fine.

Are there problems with both systems? Yes. Prodigy backed themselves in a corner if said disc is not what it should be. Example, the M2 was the M3 originally. And with Discmania it is the differences in their naming conventions., such as the DD family. I also think Discmania backed themselves in a corner if they wanted to produce anything understable because how would that work with their naming system?

Drew Gibson posted about heading down to Nashville for something that will change his life. Does Innova have him under contract next year? Might be headed to Prodigy???

Nashville Hot Chicken. It is life-changing! That must be why he's coming.

Drew Gibson posted about heading down to Nashville for something that will change his life. Does Innova have him under contract next year? Might be headed to Prodigy???
Also, nothing that goes on a hotdog is as gross as what is in a hotdog, but lets not talk about that.

I doubt its for Prodigy. The HQ and all the brass are in Georgia. Although he'd be a great pick up, I wouldn't bet on Drew joining Prodigy.

I have no problem with Prodigy's disc naming system. It's the plastic naming that has me confused!:gross:

As far as Discmania? Yeah, I don't trust any of their names, I just do research before hand. But at least I know the plastics.:p

TD - Turning Driver

Sorry should have been more specific. I think they did that with their mids since Jaime said it starts from the MD as a neutral mid to higher numbers which means overstable.

Also, the naming for Prodigy's plastic types can be confusing. I get that and it's actually ass backwards to their numbering system. But I like their plastic and that's what made me learn it.

Sorry should have been more specific. I think they did that with their mids since Jaime said it starts from the MD as a neutral mid to higher numbers which means overstable.

Also, the naming for Prodigy's plastic types can be confusing. I get that and it's actually ass backwards to their numbering system. But I like their plastic and that's what made me learn it.

The most simple way to explain it is, higher number= higher quality/more durable plastic. If the number has a "G" behind it, its a bit more grippy than without the G. Not sure if that is the official explanation, but its pretty accurate.

He's clearly quitting disc golf to pursue a career in country music.
Seriously though...

Whenever I try a new restaurant, if they're not known for a specific dish, I order the Reuben.

Not sure what all of this D and ranking talk is about.
Pro-tip: Don't do this in the South. If there's not some Jewish soft drink for sale at the place, the Reuben is probably going to suck. They put mustard on them at every restaurant around me.
Yea a guy was chatting with me on the course right after the McBeth announcement. I showed him my bag, told him I'd been playing for a long time which is why I throw mostly Innova. As soon as he saw my one Comet he flipped out! Started going on about switching to Discraft, asked if I was. Never mentioned McBeth but the connection was pretty clear.
Well, at least more people will try out Comets I guess. Which means more cheap Comets in the used bin after the torque monkeys turn them in for being too flippy. Win-win.

Let's not forget Cale. Wish he'd tour more.

+1. I think of him as Minnesotta's version of MJ. Beautiful finesse, woods game, doesn't tour outside of his region much, not likely to win those ball golf layouts that favor crush boys, etc.

I love watching him throw M4's on turnover lines. A gentleman's frolfer if there ever was one.

Still doesn't make as much sense as Prodigy's number system. A D1 is overstable. A D6 is understable. If you would know that you can get the idea of what other groups are, such as the mids or putters.

Plus if you look at the DD family by them, it's all over the place. A DD is 11/5/0/2. A DDX is 12/6/-1/2. A DD2 is 12/5/-2/2. The DD family is all over the place.

Basically what I'm getting at is the irrationality people have for Prodigy's naming system, but think Discmania's is perfectly fine.

The # for the driver families is just chronological, that's probably the most self explanatory part of their whole system IMO. Most companies just number their versions/iterations, regardless of industry.

Saying Prodigy and Discmania's naming systems make differing amounts of sense is like cutting a sandwich equally in half and claiming it makes more sense to eat one side over the other first.

People say that about Discmania because they use Innova's plastic grade naming convention, so it was an easy port over.

Prodigy did not have that benefit, so they had to create a completely new way to describe their plastic grades that would not infringe upon trademarks of known brands, and also be marketable.

I guess the point I'm making is that it's really not all that hard, both brands use a systematic approach to naming. Innova doesn't even try to market names for discs that imply a system, and if you pulled 3 random discs off the shelf most of the people who have ever posted on this forum could order them in terms of stability.

We probably agree more than we disagree on all this, just my .02

The most simple way to explain it is, higher number= higher quality/more durable plastic. If the number has a "G" behind it, its a bit more grippy than without the G. Not sure if that is the official explanation, but its pretty accurate.

They did a decent job, all things considered.

Dynamic Discs for me is the hardest to understand, as ironic as that is.

e5efb8b4a3ce7bc8be0162a1a4ae5039.jpg

Discraft Underground Captain posted this on Facespace today. I wonder what the details of this deal were, or if there even was one.

Alright BBQ and hotdog fans, I have something that will blow your minds.

I give you the....... BBQ Dog.

You got a weiner in a bun, piled high with pulled pork, topped with slaw, and drizzled with mustard based sauce.

You're not allowed to eat one unless you say the pledge of allegiance first or recklessly shoot off fireworks, your choice. God Bless America.

We probably agree more than we disagree on all this, just my .02

Yeah I do think were just hashing over very minor things about each manufacturer. Both make fantastic discs.

Also mfcastillo, not trying to sound snarky or anything, but I know what the difference in plastics are for Prodigy. One summer I went full fanboy and bought everything I could get my hands on in a remote area. I figured out what worked for me and what didn't and moved on to other companies, like Legacy, to fill the holes in my bag. I do still think they have the best overall plastics in disc golf, but that is highly subjective.

But I need to try a D4 in 750g. Oh that plastic feels so goooooooood.

He's clearly quitting disc golf to pursue a career in country music.

Pro-tip: Don't do this in the South. If there's not some Jewish soft drink for sale at the place, the Reuben is probably going to suck. They put mustard on them at every restaurant around me.

Well, at least more people will try out Comets I guess. Which means more cheap Comets in the used bin after the torque monkeys turn them in for being too flippy. Win-win.

What's a Jewish soft drink, I'm from New Jersey and have never heard this phrase in my life.

Latest posts