• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 United States Disc Golf Championship Oct 2-5

Wow. I guess its not okay to criticize or have an opinion on this because gosh, the "proceeds" are going to EDGE. I must have really big issues questioning where the money is going so yeah I'll just blindy give them money because disc golf.

Proceeds...That's a pretty vague term. Did they say what percentage of the $10 is going to EDGE? 50%? 25%? 0.00001%? That'd be a helpful selling point...

I like the Starbucks example above. See, when I spend $10 in there I know exactly what I am getting. An over priced garbage coffee and a "****ty" muffin. With the USDGC live coverage I'm really not sure. That right there is my issue.

You seem like you'd be really fun at parties.

People should really learn to ignore snide remarks on the internet. Try me. I'll ignore you like nobody's business.

I just bought the thing. My income is pitiful, but my expenses are even less. Money well spent I say, even before seeing it. Made me happy.

Well, everyone has their head in the sand if they think that the footage they are watching is "free". Even with post produced. The PDGA pays the post production & live crews thousands of dollars PER event to show up for your free coverage. That money comes RIGHT from your PDGA membership. The numbers are not broken out (nor will they ever be is my guess), but I would be shocked if media coverage for just the NT events was less than 100K this year.

Well, everyone has their head in the sand if they think that the footage they are watching is "free". Even with post produced. The PDGA pays the post production & live crews thousands of dollars PER event to show up for your free coverage. That money comes RIGHT from your PDGA membership. The numbers are not broken out (nor will they ever be is my guess), but I would be shocked if media coverage for just the NT events was less than 100K this year.

Agreed 100%, even video posted to youtube are not free, there are paid advertisements via the content provider plus paid advertisements via youtube. That is not free.

Even broadcast Television and radio is not free. Internet radio is not free.

No free lunches.

2. If you are saying that because you are paying you expect better quality. That is the WRONG attitude.

I completely disagree with this. Anyone who is paying absolutely SHOULD expect better quality for their money. And if that quality is not delivered, then don't expect to be paid for less/poor quality.

3. I think this is a stepping stone for the USDGC to put it ALL behind a paywall in the future.

That's what scares me most.

And to that I say, BRAVO. Many DGers feel like they are entitled to free coverage for some reason. They are not. Innova has a product that people want. Hopefully they will eventually make people pay for that.

No, I don't feel 'entitled' to anything, and your attempt to define it that way is wrong. If there is something on YouTube that has advertising in it (which most DG videos do) and I and others can watch it for 'free', then I (and others) will do that. That is NOT 'entitlement' at all.

And if Innova or anyone else wants to make people pay for what they're putting out, that's their prerogative, and the prerogative of anyone who wants to pay to watch it. But it's also the prerogative of some to NOT pay, and to call that decision 'entitlement' is a wrong use of the word and the meaning it has come to be in these present day times.

Last edited:
For those who find $9.99 too steep, PDGA members get a 20% discount if you use their promo code. I'm not going to give it here, but it's easy enough to find if you go to their site, are logged in, and click on the USDGC media announcement.

SD86. I didn't say YOU particular. But some people do feel that we should be providing DG coverage for free at no cost to them and when it isn't they get up in arms. Some people ARE feeling entitled. It is everyone's rights to pay or not to pay.

You and I differ on the idea of PPV. I am cool with that.

As far as expecting better quality. Many think that the quality we put out is very good (some don't). But just because we have given it out for free for a few years to the viewers, that doesn't mean that people should expect an increase in quality if we were to go to PPV. As I always say, we are always striving for improvement and will continue to try. But the DEMAND that it is better is unreasonable. If you don't like the quality now, don't sign up. Wait until it gets better, if it ever does.

SD86. I didn't say YOU particular.

I never said you did.

You and I differ on the idea of PPV. I am cool with that.

Makes for better horse racing. :)

As far as expecting better quality. Many think that the quality we put out is very good (some don't). But just because we have given it out for free for a few years to the viewers, that doesn't mean that people should expect an increase in quality if we were to go to PPV. As I always say, we are always striving for improvement and will continue to try. But the DEMAND that it is better is unreasonable. If you don't like the quality now, don't sign up. Wait until it gets better, if it ever does.

A bit of clarification on my side of it: by 'better quality', I was meaning that the quality cannot be "we're going to put out status quo and you better not expect better", which is somewhat how I perceived your original comment on the issue.. Steve Dodge tried that (monopolizing the media coverage, not necessarily PPV) at the beginning of this season, and when the quality of what he was putting out was a disaster, you (plural) saw the backlash.

I also meant that if one is going to pay for PPV, one has every right to expect a better level of quality for one's money. Solely for example: if one pays for PPV for live coverage, and it's not at least as good as the Jomez post-produced coverage, then expect rightful backlash, or at least a lack of desire to pay for the product in the future.

Solely for example: if one pays for PPV for live coverage, and it's not at least as good as the Jomez post-produced coverage, then expect rightful backlash, or at least a lack of desire to pay for the product in the future.

How can anyone expect live coverage to be the same quality as post produced Jomez coverage??? It is not a fair comparison and Innova never made any such claims that this would be the case.

I will be paying my $8 and will expect to have access to some live coverage of USDGC disc golf action. Fancy graphics would be nice, but they are not expected. They don't add to the excitement factor for me and if it gets annoying, I will just mute the commentary. Once again, not a big deal to me for less than $3 a day.

Last edited:
I also meant that if one is going to pay for PPV, one has every right to expect a better level of quality for one's money. Solely for example: if one pays for PPV for live coverage, and it's not at least as good as the Jomez post-produced coverage, then expect rightful backlash, or at least a lack of desire to pay for the product in the future.

When you pay for the PPV you have an expectation of quality. That quality will differ for each person. Personally, I think that SmashBoxxTV has set a good standard to the quality that we can provide on the budget that we have. And those are my minimum expectations for the live PPV.

It will take another 5-7 years before we can produce the quality of coverage that post production puts out. At least in picture quality. That is an unrealistic expectation for anyone. And if they expect that, they will be sorely disappointed. Our products are apples and oranges.

Why can't post production match the quality of SmashBoxxTV. I have never seen a post production crew be able to reproduce the drama we have with live. I have never seen a post production crew be able to roll off a camera and include someone from a chase card who is making a push for the win and splice them in. Instead they have to live by some insane rule of not spoiling other cards that might have coverage from other crews. Again... apples and oranges.

Quality is defined differently to different people.

How can anyone expect live coverage to be the same quality as post produced Jomez coverage??? It is not a fair comparison and Innova never made any such claims that this would be the case.

I will be paying my $8 and will expect to have access to some live coverage of USDGC disc golf action. Fancy graphics would be nice, but they are not expected. They don't add to the excitement factor for me and if it gets annoying, I will just mute the commentary. Once again, not a big deal to me for less than $3 a day.

Enjoy yourself.

But we're getting into the weeds on some of this. Jvphobic said that to expect better coverage was a "wrong attitude", and my reply was that if one is paying for the product, one has every right to (have the attitude to) expect a better product. Whether that specific coverage equals or betters the specific Jomez post-produced coverage will be in the eye of the beholder, as will the decision to pay for the product.

Makes me wonder if the PDGA is assisting in any way financially with the live coverage from Fulcrum?

My "hot takes". From being on the outside for once.

1. If you are complaining that $10 is too much for coverage. You are an whiner***. No... a cheap whiner. That is less than 1 disc. That is less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks. That is less than a movie. That is less than a single round at Maple Hill. Look at all other sports PPV costs.

2. If you are saying that because you are paying you expect better quality. That is the WRONG attitude. Who is to say that SmashBoxx or Fulcrum are at the limits that can be pushed with our current budgets. Just because we have been giving you free for a long time, don't expect better now that you have to pay, be glad that you got what you got for free for so long.

3. I think this is a stepping stone for the USDGC to put it ALL behind a paywall in the future. And to that I say, BRAVO. Many DGers feel like they are entitled to free coverage for some reason. They are not. Innova has a product that people want. Hopefully they will eventually make people pay for that.

4. If you don't want to pay because you enjoy post production more. Cool. Don't pay. Enjoy what you enjoy. No one really cares one way or the other. I am personally gonna watch live. FOR ME, even watching on a crappy Facebook live stream is more exciting than post production. I can see both sides.

Innova hopefully knows exactly what they are doing here with the live numbers vs post numbers.

Trust me, I have concerns about how the broadcast is going to be done from a tech side. But, Fulcrum has a lot of experience and will hopefully prove me wrong.

***If $10 REALLY IS too much for your budget. Great, save your money and pay rent, mortgage, Credit Cards, or buy food. You are a smart person for making the best financial decision for yourself. I respect that. #1 was directed at people with more fluid budgets that are complaining about the price.

I am a discerning consumer....please don't tell me that my attitude is wrong. The limits of production quality, due to budget constraints, is not the consumer's problem. Also, as a consumer and potential customer, please don't tell me what to expect or what to be thankful for.

My reasons for not embracing PPV are two-fold. I think Winthop is a bad watch, boring golf, IMO. Secondly, disc golf videos are a sub par viewing experience, in comparison to most any other sport I can watch.

Don't get me wrong, I hope all the production companies thrive and I hope PPV is embrace to further move the needle on their budgets.

The PDGA pays the post production & live crews thousands of dollars PER event to show up for your free coverage. That money comes RIGHT from your PDGA membership.

lol...the sh$% storm that is going to cause from members on this forum. wowza....

I am a discerning consumer....please don't tell me that my attitude is wrong. The limits of production quality, due to budget constraints, is not the consumer's problem. Also, as a consumer and potential customer, please don't tell me what to expect or what to be thankful for.

My reasons for not embracing PPV are two-fold. I think Winthop is a bad watch, boring golf, IMO. Secondly, disc golf videos are a sub par viewing experience, in comparison to most any other sport I can watch.

Don't get me wrong, I hope all the production companies thrive and I hope PPV is embrace to further move the needle on their budgets.

I disagree with that. I should be telling you what to expect. We say it all the time that you need to set the expectations of your customers. Don't over promise and under deliver. We have seen how that works. Again, I have ZERO input in this production of the USDGC. I am just saying what your expectations for this production and future ones SHOULD be in the near term.

The limits of the production are not the consumer's problem. But they are factors in your expectations. If you pay $10 for a meal, you better not expect a 3 course meal. And if you do, someone either lied to you or your expectations don't meet realities.

We have a problem that some people perceive that in the past it has cost them $0 (which is untrue, but that is a different discussion) and now it is going to cost them $10, so they expect a different level of service. When in reality the costs are technically just being shifted from one entity to another. Rather than paying with your PDGA funds they are asking you for money directly.

And as far as the PPV and your reasons. That is fine, they are not catering to you then. I am not here to argue if you should or shouldn't subscribe to this event. That isn't the focal point of this particular discussion for me.