• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships June 22-26

Brodie finishes off his good round at -11... I wonder if that will be good enough for lead card?...

There are some folks yet to start that can get in the mix possibly, but looking through the scores that are in so far, -11 looks to be solid.

Been away from the game too long. Just found out Worlds has already been decided, thanks to Brutus' meme thread. Went to watch a ton of videos of James and his Envy. Unreal. MVP. Huge congrats to the new World Champ. :clap:

Catrina's caddie

Did Catrina have a caddy for any rounds at Worlds? I was surprised to see her carrying her own bag in the Final round.

If Cat did not have a caddy, does anybody know why? I'm just curious, and I'm hesitant to even bring it up. I don't want to bring up anything that might reflect negatively on Catrina. Please avoid speculation, rumor, or hearsay, and if there are negative reasons please be charitable and say something generic like "It was her personal choice." Catrina earned my respect by the way she handled herself, her mental game, and her stellar play, so she deserves a great deal of respect!

Did Catrina have a caddy for any rounds at Worlds? I was surprised to see her carrying her own bag in the Final round.

If Cat did not have a caddy, does anybody know why? I'm just curious, and I'm hesitant to even bring it up. I don't want to bring up anything that might reflect negatively on Catrina. Please avoid speculation, rumor, or hearsay, and if there are negative reasons please be charitable and say something generic like "It was her personal choice." Catrina earned my respect by the way she handled herself, her mental game, and her stellar play, so she deserves a great deal of respect!

No clue on Cat, but I've had friends and friends kids carry my bag in tournie's over the years and it just doesn't "feel" right. Gotta carry it myself! [emoji106][emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol....why does Cat deserve to be spared the burn from the bubbling cauldron of fury, that is DGCR?

It seems as if she carries her own bag nearly always.

Cat, herself, has said that she thinks players should carry their own bags.

The way I took it was - it is part of the sport and that is your equipment, it is on the player to be able to take that added physical toll during a round.

I've seen many MPO top players carrying their own bag as well, and others pushing a cart. I would think that after a 3-4 hour round, especially with hills, this could certainly have an impact. Thinking holes 17 and 18 at Toboggan for instance. Man are those two a slog on a hot day! I honestly think pulling a loaded cart up those hills is harder than wearing a pack. Certainly pro players are in much better condition than I am, but still...with all that is riding on these larger tournaments, does anyone want to cage a 35' foot putt on 18 because they are even a little more winded than their competitors?

That said, unless the rules are changed, it will be player's preference of course. I can see the need though--in addition to discs, one needs towels, possible wet weather gear, chairs (since many courses do not have adequate seating and waits can be long), water/liquid, and some energy food.

Note that a bag or cart manufacturer sponsoring a player likely has some impact on their cart/bag/caddie choices.

Note that a bag or cart manufacturer sponsoring a player likely has some impact on their cart/bag/caddie choices.

Quite valid point.

Plus not all courses are created the same. Any course with oodles of elevation becomes a great candidate, particularly if it doesn't offer a lot of shade.

First time I ever heard of someone using a caddy for DG, I laughed. Then I played Toboggan, with it's constant and continuos trudging downhill, only to trudge back up yet another hill. Having someone else simply carry that load suddenly made sense.

Especially given that:
1) Toboggan events are basically held at about the hottest time of year.
2) There are several sections where it's quite hard to find shade for long stretches. Unless you find yourself in the shule, you really spend much more time in the sun than in the shade.

Oh, how I'd love to be able to play that course in the fall. :)

Last edited:

I'm sure that it does, but it's not as if we don't see cross-sponsor caddy-player pairs with some regularity. I guess I'd be surprised if Allen was being held back from having a caddy because Prodigy was only allowing Prodigy sponsored players on her bag.

Cat had Alyssa (Casey White's gf) on the bag when she played Jonesboro. It was her best tournament of the year, IMO.

I'm sure that it does, but it's not as if we don't see cross-sponsor caddy-player pairs with some regularity. I guess I'd be surprised if Allen was being held back from having a caddy because Prodigy was only allowing Prodigy sponsored players on her bag.

I noticed during World's, Nate Sexton had Sarah Gilpin's husband carrying his bag with a big Dynamic Discs shirt on each day. If I am Innova, I am tossing that daywalker a few free t-shirts or something. Not that it's a huge deal, but I think its kind of a poor look for your caddy to be a giant billboard for another manufacturer during the biggest event of the year.

I noticed during World's, Nate Sexton had Sarah Gilpin's husband carrying his bag with a big Dynamic Discs shirt on each day. If I am Innova, I am tossing that daywalker a few free t-shirts or something. Not that it's a huge deal, but I think its kind of a poor look for your caddy to be a giant billboard for another manufacturer during the biggest event of the year.

How much do the brands show up at tournaments in a player support capacity?

I'm sure they have their booth to sell merchandise, but do they provide any sort of team tent?

I remember a local pro who at the time was sponsor by Innova had a younger player caddying for him. First this out of the car he required him to change his shirt to one that the pro had provided.

And yet Tina Oakley caddied for Paige Pierce most of the time that I saw. I didn't focus on what she was wearing, did you all?

Sorry folks but that happens -- particularly when you have couples or close friends sponsored by different manufacturers. Like when Paige & Nate Perkins caddy each other. Or Dustin and Zoe. Or Kona & Collin. Or Paige and Madison. Or Vinnie and Madison. And back in the day there was Nate & Val before they got married. Or JWeesy & Nikko...

I've even had another team's sponsored player on my bag before. It's not that big of a deal. I mean people can't wait to post the "inevitable changing sponsors thread" each year. I think we could have a pool for who's closest to the day it goes up and... nah, never mind.