• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] 5-6 disc bag - how would you cover the bases.

It has been an eye opener, and rather amusing too.
Lol agreed. I never realized how many people just post without reading the op. Eye opening to be sure.

What's really disturbing is the number of people that just post, don't read the op or any other post in the thread. Every third post is literally him trying to restate his original post. So they posted without reading anything...lol.

Lol agreed. I never realized how many people just post without reading the op. Eye opening to be sure.

What's really disturbing is the number of people that just post, don't read the op or any other post in the thread. Every third post is literally him trying to restate his original post. So they posted without reading anything...lol.

This happens the most in disc suggestion threads. There will be threads where the OP has his questions asked, disc decided, and the thread will continue for pages and pages. But it happens all over these forums, and the internet in general. Many posters here have abandoned the entire "Discs" subforum althogether, because of this.

I used to play with 5-6 discs for about 4 years. I generally covered my shots with:

stable workhorse driver: Stag
Neutral to understable driver: River
Stable to OS driver: Wraith (or Trespass)
Stable Mid: Buzzz (or claymore)
OS Mid: Pain
Putter: Pure

Looking for suggestions on a five or six disc setup for fast rounds, using molds in my signature in a little Ching clamshell. I'm curious how other folks would cover the bases. The more specific about shots covered the better. And I've got plenty of each mold in multiple plastics, so be that specific if you're having fun. I like these threads. And I could use suggestions to try to think outside my usual.

I actually put some thought into this because I'm bored and the family is off doing stuff. Here's what I came up with:

5 DISCS
C-PD (especially if you have a beefy one. OS enough to handle headwinds/sidarms and still useable enough for good distance)
Champion Teebird (pretty much same as above)
Icon Patriot (turnover shots, rollers, sky annies. Has enough glide for big turnover shots)
KC Pro Roc (preferably slight used. Eay to maniuplate on different lines)
Wizard of any type (putts, upshots, drives, etc. There's a very good reason Wizards are so popular)

If you wanted to go 6 discs, I'd probably add a FAF Champ Firebird and replace the C-PD with a P or G. The FAF Firebird is utility enough that you can use it pretty much from mid range distance on up.

If you don't have the ultra-beefy Firebird on hand, I'd keep the C-PD and add a worn DX Roc for smooth hyzerflip laser beams and buttery turnovers.

Hope that helps!

I actually read your post. Unfortunately, I haven't thrown too many of the discs you throw. I do however play often with a small bag, so I'll give my theory behind disc choices and you can go from there.

First off, I'm sure you are a better golfer than me, you know your shots and what works for you better, so you should really go with your first instinct. But Imma give you mine anyway.

Putter: Pick something that is something of a tweener that can also be your approach disc and can handle some shorter drives. This saves room in your midrange lineup since those discs are thicker in a small bag. For me this is the Envy, but I hear the Wizard is like a deeper Envy, so that should do you fine.

Mid: if you have a good solid stable to OS putter choice, something understable should be all you need for utility shots and a right finish. I don't know anything about the Polecat or Lex. I use a Theory, but a very seasoned KC Pro Roc would also work.

Fairways: This is the meat of a small bag for me, and by meat, I mean carry 2, an US and a stable to OS. I would go fresh champ Teebird or Glo Bird for a little more stability and having never thrown a Patriot, the numbers look like what I would pick for that. I usually go with something like a Crave and Inspire or TiStalker and River for mine.

DD: Pick a slightly US straight DD. I have only thrown the FB and OLS of your set, so I would go OLS. I currently use an Inertia. I only use it for long open shots and I find it's much more workable than a more stable DD.

If you want a 6th, this is where I put in a utility disc. For me this is something I can OH and FH well, mainly to get out of trouble. Usually I use my XXX, sometimes my Verdict, depending on my mood. And yes, I OH my Verdict sometimes. Don't judge. I think this would be the FB out of your discs.

My 6: fresh D Magnet, worn Z Meteor, fresh Z Wasp, fresh Z XL, fresh Z Predator, and a fresh overstable Z Nuke all max.

My 6: fresh D Magnet, worn Z Meteor, fresh Z Wasp, fresh Z XL, fresh Z Predator, and a fresh overstable Z Nuke all max.

Forgot to say why:

All max weight because that's the way I like it baby.

fresh D Magnet
Neutral for putting and most other shorter throws.

worn Z Meteor
Fairly understable for understable shots, mostly in the woods, ranging from pretty short all the way to 400+ feet.

fresh Z Wasp
Overstable but not very overstable, for many short to medium distance overstable shots.

fresh Z XL
Little turn and fade for medium all the way to 400+ foot straight shots. A buzzz would also work equally well but would be a little shorter so I give the nod to the mighty XL.

fresh Z Predator
Fast and very overstable for a huge variety of shots from normal to tricky, mostly in the open yet also commonly in the woods.

fresh overstable Z Nuke
Workhorse long distance driver, overstable yet very overstable. Flys far and fades+skips reliably. Great for the very common long hyzer shot.

Do you have to use a Cling clamshell? (See, I read the first post.)

Looking for suggestions on a five or six disc setup for fast rounds, using molds in my signature in a little Ching clamshell. I'm curious how other folks would cover the bases. The more specific about shots covered the better. And I've got plenty of each mold in multiple plastics, so be that specific if you're having fun. I like these threads. And I could use suggestions to try to think outside my usual.

PD, Roc, putter of choice, and you'd need to add a FD ;)

With that setup, I would bet you could shoot the same or better on your favorite course than a full bag.

D1, D3, D4, M1, M2, M3, M4

THAT DUZN'T EVEN MAKE ANY SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOME PEOPLE ARE TRYIN TO HAVE A USEFULL CONVERSATION AND YOU HAVE TO COMB IN HERE AND RUIN IT FOR EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MEAN, SOME PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY TRING TO HELP AND YOU COME IN AND JUS FLAME!!!!!!
WHY YA GOTTA PLAY IT LIKE THAT?!!?!?!?!?!?!? 'CUZ YOUR SOOOOOO HEAVY????!?!?!? OH RIGHT, IS IT 'CUZ YOU HAVE LIKE 1700 POSTS AND NO LYFE?!!!!?!?!?!?!

WHY YOU GOTTA MESS WITH MY LIFE??!?!?!?!?!??!

MY!

LIFE!!!

Last edited:
New Teebird, Seasoned Teebird, beat Teebird
New Roc, Seasoned Roc
Wizard

Latest posts