• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I the only one who finds most DG bags ugly

geo_08

Double Eagle Member
First off I absolutely am not saying that there are many incredibly well made and well thought out bags out there. I am also not saying I could design a better bag, but anyway.

So coming from a hiker, and mountain biking background (by the way I recently learned there was beef between cyclists and disc golfers where did that go from...) I like my packs in bright ripstop with camelback bladders daisy chains, sternum straps, and cinch cords. Now I realize not all of that equates to disc golf. Namely DG bags spend more time on the ground and discs are vastly different shapes than my sleeping bag and jet boil. So in saying this I realize UPD is making bags that fit this bill, which I like, but I also like options. Also the Ergo 2 is a more stream lined bag, but then I look at No excuses, fossa, the DD ranger, and they are all big and unwieldy. I will add another disclaimer here, I am not one who carries 20 some discs with me.

Aside from the REI outdoorsman, there are also many innovative bag technologies coming out of the military and tactical equipment manufacturers. Namely I am thinking sling bags and molle. A simple DG bag with some molle could open up all sorts of customizable options.

So, is there a market for slim line, less unwieldy or more modular bags? Or, and this is most likely am I just in the minority when it comes to taste.

My upper park rebel v3 just looks so damn nice. People always comment on the bag and its looks even my neighbors who don't play DG. You can always go the traditional smaller backpack hiking route which I have a 3 year old bag that still is holding up well and cost $30...

I don't like the looks of most traditional disc golf backpacks at all though I hear you.

I am going to have to popcorn to your popcorn.

Something new on the horizon???

:popcorn: :)

I don't think sling bags are a good idea, because DG bags need to be set on the ground in a fashion that they are set upright.

And incorporating molle is much more overkill than your wanting, while adding bulk and a u streamlined look... With the storage the ranger has or the grip bags have, there's no need.

By the way I'm a avid mountain biker and haven't heard any "beef" between the two. Now road cyclist however, that's a different story. road weenies...

One of my frequent playing partners just got one of the Upper Park bags. It is really well designed. I am not a fan of the colorways in general, but it is a good looking bag. He mounts it on a cart and it is perfect for that.

I love the look of my Mystery Ranch disc golf bag. I have been using my stack of practice putters as dividers since I take them whenever I play anyway, but if you since down the side disc compartments, it is a sleek bag for rounds where you don't need to carry a grip of discs.

You might also check out the solid color Lat 64 bags. Another friend has a white one and it is a nice bag (although I couldn't imagine having a white nylon bag for anything).

A lot of manufacturers have these goofy colorways and acid-trip-inspired fabrics, which I do not like at all. A lot of bags would look much better if they weren't wrapped in these ridiculous fabrics and day-glo colors.

I dont think a sling back is completely out of the question you can still design it to be sat on the ground. I also like the idea of slinging around to grab my mini, mark my lie, replace my upshot grab my putter and putt. I often do routine puts with my bag on.

I personally agree on Molle, but I know there is a segment of people out there who may feel differently. Met a couple guys locally that play with their military rucks. They would look a million times cooler than a ruck. I

Now I ride road, cross, mountain, and gravel if you consider it different. I have often thought of doing a DG decathlon. Find two gold courses connected by singletrack and gravel. Play a round ride, play a round, ride back and play your final. Ride time and DG rounds factor in. I digress though.

And I personally really like the UPD colorways, particularly the orange But, that is because they remind me of the rest of my hobbies equipment. The lat bags are just as bulky as others IMO.

Last edited:
Agreed.
Not only are they goofy looking, but they're expensive too, especially in the uk. The only bag that I find at all attractive is the DD Ranger [ if you can get it in a non-puke colour scheme ] $175 stateside, £250 here !
Academy won't ship the Magellan bag outside US so the cheap option is out too.
I understand that the design contraints of having a bag that sits upright and has access to the discs means that the form is somewhat disctated by it's function. I would like a compact, clean lined, minimialist bag, something that looks more like a classic klettersack. Might have a go at making some DIY waxed canvas & leather DG bags over the winter.
@geo8 there is a thread detailing using the Hazerd 4 sling pack.. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86472
De-buckled and De-molled with a double zipper wide side opening that could be good
Best looking version of what I'm after just appeared as a camera bag on kickstarter, the Ogdenmade Two Bit kletterpack ...
http://www.ogdenmade.com/products/two-bit-kletterpack
Re-imagined with the front access panel a bit higher that would be a sweet looking DG bag. Probably still be too expensive though !

Agreed.
Not only are they goofy looking, but they're expensive too, especially in the uk. The only bag that I find at all attractive is the DD Ranger [ if you can get it in a non-puke colour scheme ] $175 stateside, £250 here !
Welclme to the forums! Great to see members from Europe, especially from countries where disc golf might not be as popular.

Bring back the Wall City Cube. Man, I miss that bag!

Out of ALL bags, I think the Upper Park bags are the worst, aesthetically. Downright eyesores, honestly. I'd probably buy a Magellan bag over one.

Lol... Yeah those grip bags just look SO MUCH BETTER!

get real dude.

A-14-Grip-Bags-787x300.jpg

:|

Last edited:
Especially the new grips. Way too bulky looking. UPD has the best designed and looking bags in the game!

Out of ALL bags, I think the Upper Park bags are the worst, aesthetically. Downright eyesores, honestly. I'd probably buy a Magellan bag over one.

So I can quantify what I don't like about the grips, and whatnot. Can you quantify what you don't like about UPD bags? Purely so I can understand why there may not be a market for similar styles from other manufacturers.

Take it for what you will, but THE CHAMP uses a UPD Rebel.

Latest posts